[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dleppenTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett Ace 250
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:08:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was using my detector in an old and unused ball park yesterday and found a spot with a very strong $1 coin signal on my Garrett 250.  My MD was showing it at a depth of 8 inches.   I pin pointed the spot and started digging.  I dug the hole, but found nothing.  After I dug the hole and ran my detector over it I found the area with the strongest signal strength had grown to an area of roughly 1.5 feet in diameter, which I thought was odd.  So I widened my hole and kept digging.  Luckily the earth under the grass was very light and sandy so it didn't take much to dig about 15 inches down and about a foot in diameter.   I ran my detector over my pile of dirt and no signal.  Held the detector over the hole and in the hole and continued to get a strong signal for that $1 coin.   I tried moving it around the hole and the signal strength stayed the same.  I tried using my pinpointer, and it had a very week signal at the bottom of the hole, so I dug a little deeper and still found nothing.  At this point it was getting dark and I gave up due to lack of light.    Any thoughts as to what could cause such a signal and why couldn't I find the object?   I plan on going back to this field over the weekend.  Should I have dug deeper?  Was the object further down in the soil and due to the light airy nature of it, my detector was reading it at a depth it normally would not reach?  Perhaps some other anomaly?    Any thoughts?
Thanks
dleppen

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104075.html#msg104075

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sometimes iron stakes in the ground can rust completely to dust and still be detected. They mix with the soil but still are detectable and can mislead you. As you dig deeper, you scatter the metal making the signal disappear in the soil you have dug. The stake, still in the ground as you dig, gets shorter and shorter until it eventually disappears leaving behind a mystery for you.

How do they get there? Well, in days gone by some line painters used short pieces of rebar with string to guide them. If they got lazy, they'd pound them into the ground with the intention of going back later to retrieve them. Forgetful grounds keepers may be to blame. Or an old fence, cut off at the ground. You'd be surprised how 50 or more years in the ground can affect iron.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104076.html#msg104076

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett Ace 250
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:44:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bummer.  I was hoping you were going to tell me that if I would of dug another 6 inches, that I would have discovered the motherload.  Grin Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind the next time I dig and can't find anything.
dleppen
oops  motherlode.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104080.html#msg104080

Offline csharp
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi

i agree with GoldDigger1950.

all the same it's good to know whats in the hole. I have a rule " dig out all MD signals " as i have been caught out many times.

regards

CSharp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104082.html#msg104082

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:29:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dleppen
Bummer.  I was hoping you were going to tell me that if I would of dug another 6 inches, that I would have discovered the motherload.  Grin Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind the next time I dig and can't find anything.
dleppen
oops  motherlode.

Another 18 inches and a big wooden treasure chest would be the prize. The only problem is, I forgot where that was now.

Don't worry. It'll come to me. Right now, I think I need a nice warming glass of Bourbon. It's winter down here.

Actually, there is something else that occurred to me after I typed this message and posted it. The Ace 250 has a Double D coil and the edge detection on them isn't worth a tinker's eyetooth. Try using your pinpointer against the side of the hole and see if you can find your target. If you have a target in the wall of the hole, as you dig down, the detector now senses it on the TOP of the coil instead of the bottom and makes you believe that it may be deeper when it is just along the edge. You did say that it got weaker for a while.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104135.html#msg104135

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:33:09 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline silverdog
Copper Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

465.00 Gold
View Inventory
silverdoguk
WWW Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:58:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ace 250's do not have a double D coil 

Pinpointing with the 250 can be a bit misleading to start with though, I was missing by up to 4" when I first got mine

Headphones can help hearing the volume change, especially if your in a noisey area, find a target, move your coil a few inches to the side, press pinpoint and gently swing left and right over the target listening for the highest peak of volume, when over it stop and move your coil up and down gently again listening for the higest peak sound.
Your target should now be in the centre of the smaller coil ring.

With a little practice it is very accurate.

Good luck

Oh and go back and check it out again you never know,  take a look at this

Please Register or Login

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10546960.stm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104141.html#msg104141

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 03:22:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Silverdog, you are correct. I was thinking of the Excalibur II and picturing the Double D on that baby. Thanks for correcting me. Now I can sleep better tonight.

The edge detection on the Ace 250 should be very good. I've only used one for a day to test it and loved it. Still haven't bought one but will in the near future.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104143.html#msg104143

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett Ace 250
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the advice and the quick responses to my questions.    GoldDigger1950 you are welcome to have some of our weather.  If I could box it up and send it, I would.  This past week has been HOT with outrageous humidity.  I don't normally mind the heat, but I stayed in the nice comfortable airconditioning of my house for most of this week.   

Silverdog, that news link to the fella that found the roman coins is pretty neat.  They mentioned this story on our evening news as well.  That would be a fun find, however I think the likelyhood of finding a hoard of roman coins or any other large treasure in the State of Michigan is slim to none.  The mob was big here several decades ago, perhaps someone will find a lost and hidden stash of Mafia cash with their detector.  Thats kind of fun to think about.

Thanks again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16192.msg104278.html#msg104278

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: