[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline rcf-jrTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Buying a metal detector can be a very demanding task and not just for the new recruit.  If you step back from the table and take a fresh look, a different perspective, it will become quite clear which one is for you.  Finding the correct metal detector can be a treasure hunt in itself.

The alphabet of metal detectors is long and so are their track records.  The starting point of your journey is to look at the companies.  I will not mention any company names for I do not want to get into a shouting match.  So make your own list and let's get going.

America is all about business, at least it was, and business is business.  Most of the successful metal detector companies were born here in the USA.  That is not to say other countries have crap, but the US military had required them for mine detection during World War II.  Filling this need was the beginning.

When these magical inventions found a new market, treasure hunting, capitalism took over.  There was a market that needed to be fed and there were many in line to cash in.  Some made it and others failed.  Most all had good products, just not good marketing.

Most all companies have a working product and if there was any bad ones they were quickly weeded out.  Not out just because of bad products, just bad marketing.  It is the track record, or the length of time in business that lends an assurance to their products.  If the company has been around for a while they have got something to offer.  Only marketing makes one look better than the other.

Today, from one company to the next it is an almost equal playing field.  Each company has reversed engineered each others products and have copied each others patents from the patent office to get a heads up on their competitions new features.  It's just like the car manufacturers, no difference.

All cars have an engine, transmission, 4 wheels, battery, radiator, on and on.  Out side of exterior style, seat covers and color, they are pretty much the same.  It's the marketing that makes one look different than the other.  There might be some special features that attract some buyers to choose one over the other, but the cars are basically the same.

Metal detectors are no exception to the morass of marketing.  Some metal detectors will last longer between battery charges/replacements, while others will go deeper or have a better discriminator.  A tracking ground balance, light weight, ergonomically designed handles, on and on.  Sounds somewhat like looking at cars doesn't it?

What you have to do is look beyond marketing.  Examine what you need your machine to do.  Then go and look at the machines that can perform the task at hand.  Generics are nice machines, that's generics in functions, but when a machine promises to do any type of hunting there is a trade off in performance in each category.

If you are looking for gold get a machine dedicated to gold.  Relic hunting and cache hunting deserves another type of detector.  Combing beaches, another type.  And on and on...

Generics are good for hobbyist, an all around detector that will give average results.  Those higher end generics do very well in finding coins, go figure.  The uncomplicated coin machines are great for kids due to the simplicity only.  Kids hate learning curves, they want to go out and treasure hunt, not use this dial to adjust the...

As you have noted the machine you choose must do what you need it to do.  Now you have to make sure it will fit you.  You must be comfortable while using the machine for you will be spending countless hours together.  Sort of like your wife/husband but more relaxing.  Hey, if you don't like the color fine, find one that make you comfortable, you do not need any distractions, none.

Never over buy accessories.  Get the ones that will make life better, but only by experience.  Learn what you have before you get 6 different loops, 4 sets of head phones, or a battery charger that can plug into a tree.  Besides, third party accessory stuff can be of better quality and price.

My two cents is simple to add up.  All major companies offer the same type of detectors. Choose the correct models that will do the task at hand.  Put them in your hand and pick the one that fits right.  Never buy accessories at first.  Let experience be your guide and never overlook the third party stuff.

A dinner and cheap wine, my son came along 9 months later.  If he wanted some accessories, bike, glove, etc. he had to earn them.  And so should your detector.  Those fancy add-ons will have to be earned by the detector.  For if the detector cannot perform without them, it most likely will be working the same way with them.

Ordering over the internet or mail order is fine.  But make sure you put one in your hands before you do.  I am sure you can find one somewhere that you can see in person.  There is no better group of people than modern day treasure hunters, so don't be afraid to ask.

Treasure hunters are like other hunters, they must learn to track.
-Roy-

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg139669.html#msg139669

Offline dav
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK. So I see who's been around a long time first, how about pricing? How much difference is there between a $59 detector from WalMart, a $119, $600, $1200, $3500? In general of course. I know it probably sounds stupid to an experienced person, but "Marketers" would have me believe that every single thing out there is absolutely in-freaking-credible! (Except the other guy's stuff, you have to watch out for them.)

When I start reading brochures it's just like a car, before you know it only the top-of-the-line model from Whites or someone (shown with found gold nuggets the size of your fist) will do. Why go to all this trouble to find crap on a beach when I could be hunting serious gold in some exotic locale!   Grin

What if you don't really know what you want? I just want to walk around places where there might be some old stuff and find something other than buckshot or nails.  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg139900.html#msg139900

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL!

I found my first silver quarter and gold ring with a 1972 $50.00 No Name BFO.  The way it was built, I should have only paid $20.00 for it.

You Know what?

I wish I still had the thing.   Crazy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg139904.html#msg139904

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:38:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

rfc-jr, Thanks for the advice. I could have used it when I got my first detector a year ago. The fact is I didn't know exactally what I wanted and / or how well each machine would perform relative to its advertisement. For my first I chose a Garrett 150. It seemed to offer everything I wanted. Which was finding coins and jewelry, relics , caches and treasures etc. etc. Just how well it did this was difficult to tell from the advertisement and from information on the web. Its been a little over a year now and I've got hundreds of hours on the garrett 150 and a 250. I both machines could benifit from continuous ground balancing, better descrimination, and more depth but not more weight. Going cheap with the first machine let me find out if I was going to stick with the hobby or if it was a flash in the pan. I heard many stories about detectors that are sold at half price or less a year later or are left hanging in the garage. My next machine will be the lightest machine I can find with a sensitivity of 10 inches in Florida sand for a silver quarter and continuous ground balance. I'm looking in the $600 - $800 price range. Any suggestions?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg139911.html#msg139911

Offline kaimi50
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites GMT and a minelab sd2200d
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:39:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Aloha Gang,

The best metal detector is the one that you will take out each weekend and learn to use proficiently. too many people spend the bucks only to get frustrated after a couple of weeks of hunting and it becomes a closet hugger. I have a Whites GMT and a Minelab sd2200d that I use all the time to hunt for gold and meteorites. Learning the machine and training "your ears to that specific tune" that says "Hey here I am dig me up!" is essential to this hobby. Practice,practice,practice is the name of the game I feel no matter how much you spend. BUT buy something that will match what you are hunting for wether it be gold, coins, meteorites etc.
And always remember to be safe out there.
Aloha and enjoy,
Stan aka Ka'imi Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg139920.html#msg139920

Offline rcf-jrTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:41:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gambol1,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I needed an attitude adjustment.  Anyhow, you are just like many others who jumped into the world of metal detecting without a mentor.  Lost, confused, cash anemic, and it seemed the only ones making money are the ones manufacturing and selling the beepers.

You fall into the 90%ers.  Most were in the same position as you.  Many like to state that experience is the best teacher.  That is true, but teaches also tell you the stories of the past millenium of the topic first then send you off.  Seems you had no teacher, just the homework.

I have many years of experience using and selling the little beepers.  MDI, Metal Detectors of Iowa, was my home for a while.  I started the business to enhance my knowledge of metal detecting, and to add a little extra travel money to my pocket.  It did exactly what I wanted it to do, make me better at the game of treasure hunting.  Most important was the friendships gained in this arena.

Beach combing is a real productive venture if you can understand a few basic concepts that hold true.  Location, location, location...  No I am not trying to be funny here.  Let me explain in a little more detail so you can see that I am trying to get you to the correct detector.

Anytime you go to a beach along the East Coast you will always find someone getting tennis elbow.  They are just swinging away at the sand and all it does is bother the sand crabs.  Unless there was a very recent storm and the area has a history of ship wrecks, good luck.  Excluding the previous, the best place to look is not on the beach.

I don't care who says what, the best place is the sand dunes and the ocean itself.  I am not talking about diving into the unknown.  I'll tell you what, we will stick to the water.

I enjoy using an underwater metal detector while walking or just floating on a calm serf.  I have a snorkel and face mask that I use to lay belly down.  I use my fins to slowly move me into the direction I want to go.  I can see the bottom through my mask and I can easily dip down to dig and retrieve my finds.  The water is calm and not over 3 feet deep using this technique.  Other wise I will walk and medal detect.  Yes with mask and snorkel just in case.

So, if I was looking into doing some beach combing, I would look into an underwater detector.  You can do the beach thing or do the real grab bag of treasures sites, the water.  I have lost, ruined, a nice detector beach combing.  I didn't take much for the sea water to sucker punch my land loving detector.  The plastic bag is useless if you are concentrating on the task at hand.  The ocean actually grabbed it and was taking it away.  Who would think of using a safety line on a land metal detector.  A good after thought.

I truly hope this helps.  I know you are looking for a make and model suggestion.  I can speak all kinds of tech talk but the experience is better learned while you are researching and selecting one that will work and fit your needs at hand.  Besides I am a little dry on the new detectors, HA, HA, HA, pun intended.

Treasure Hunters make good lovers for the gold we find can buy it.
-Roy-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg140814.html#msg140814

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

rcf-jr, I'm looking at the Fisher -F75. It has a feature others havn't advertised. It is suposed to "look around iron" I wonder how it does that and just what you give up to do it. I think I will start a new thread and ask if this is for real. gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg140820.html#msg140820

Offline GREY RIDER
Bronze Member

There is iron in my words
Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MARKSMAN &  FISHER  F-2     Garrett pro pointer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:12:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i am new to this deal  i have a cheap $27 detector which i have managed to find some cool stuff but i am upgrading as i type this but i have to say from my expirence with guns  i never sold one i didn't wish i still had lol! i hope detectors arent the same

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg140822.html#msg140822

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kaimi50
The best metal detector is the one that you will take out each weekend and learn to use proficiently. too many people spend the bucks only to get frustrated after a couple of weeks of hunting and it becomes a closet hugger. I have a Whites GMT and a Minelab sd2200d that I use all the time to hunt for gold and meteorites. Learning the machine and training "your ears to that specific tune" that says "Hey here I am dig me up!" is essential to this hobby. Practice,practice,practice is the name of the game I feel no matter how much you spend. BUT buy something that will match what you are hunting for wether it be gold, coins, meteorites etc.
And always remember to be safe out there.

i liked this so much i copied it to a word doc and will use it next time someone ask's me.
Hope thats ok with you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg140824.html#msg140824

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline kaimi50
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites GMT and a minelab sd2200d
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:09:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Aloha Karl,

WOW, thank you for the compliment! Pray

I tell newbies the same thing every time one asks me about what they should buy. Money is hard enough to come by in this day and age, so why spend it and not put it to use. Plus once you start getting out on a regular basis it is amazing the people you meet and the friendships that come your way. That alone is worth the price of any machine and when you also find stuff that is just the frosting on the cake in this hobby.

Aloha and remember to practice,practice and practice some more.

Stan aka Ka'imi Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20980.msg140835.html#msg140835

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: