[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline IslandpaddlerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:43:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In November when I was waiting for my detector to be sent out, I spent the time researching for places to hunt. One of the most promising is a school building built in 1882 and dismantled in the 1930's when the roll dropped because of the population drifting to the other side of the island.  This school had a resident teacher and was used for dances and community meetings etc so I had high hopes of some old coins or similar.

So when I got the detector and learnt how to use it I decided to check the site out. To start with the only clue I had of its location was that all that remains of it is "a chimney in the bush" A bit of research led me to believe it was at the side of a harbour called Awaawaroa, but after tramping all over the hills there I couldn't work out where it would be and further research pointed out that the Awaawaroa school was a room in a pioneer's house before the school was actually built.

After some more computer research and talking to some old locals I found out that it was near the old cemetery. This is at the head of another harbour so after studying google earth I figured it must be between some old stockyards and the cemetery.  3 hours searching this area through thick undergrowth and I was back at the jeep empty handed.

Another week and more research.  This time I went to the library and found they had a couple of books on local history.  One had a photo of the school and from the view shown in it I could tell that it was on top of a ridge.  It also had a not very accurate hand drawn map of the island which put the school on the opposite side of the road to what I was searching.  So I dismantled the detector, shoved it into a day pack and headed back up there.

The area is regenerating native bush (public reserve) but doesn't have any tracks or paths in it.  After crossing over the fence I picked up a rat control bait trail.  This was marked out with small pieces of pink ribbon or further up by blotches of paint on the trees.  Since the trail seemed to be heading in the right direction I decided to follow it.  An hour later and I realised that I was well and truly past where the school could be but I was enjoying the tramp with some mature Kauri trees and bird life so decided to head up to the top of a ridge then retrace my steps.  Bad move.  The rat bait trail had pettered out by now and when I tried to find my way back I ended up in a different valley which was impassable.  Back up to the top of the ridge then I followed the ridgeline hoping to find a way back to the road.  By now the bush had turned into thick scrub consisting of Manuka and gorse which was hard going trying to bash my way through.  The day was extremely hot and my 1 litre of water was just about gone.

Luckily I found another fence line which had some clearing done on the other side.  Following it I eventually came to a bulldozed track which snaked its way down to the road 4km from where I had left the jeep. 4 hours in the bush and 3 of those "lost".  The detector didn't even get to come out of the pack!

Once I got home and thought about things I realised I must have walked right over the school site within the first quarter of an hour of the search.  So today I headed back there determined to grid an area next to the road without getting sidetracked.  20 minutes in and I saw a Wood Pigeon feather on the ground.  When picking it up I saw that the drain / depression it was in was too straight to be natural so followed it up.  Within minutes I spotted some old roofing iron half buried by leaf litter, then a bit further on some small fragments of window glass.  Circling around this area produced a pile of old bricks which is all that now remains of the chimney.  

I put the detector together (mounting the feather on it for luck) and started hunting around randomly.  Heaps of targets but the majority was either pieces of roofing iron or lead head nails.  3 coins found in the same small area gave me a bit of excitement but they were from the 1980's. Also found a couple of window latches.  After a muesli bar and drink I decided to grid the area and soon found a 4' patch of soil that was black compared to the yellow clay of the rest of the site.  Pulled a shotgun shell and 2 spoons (not silver) out of here.  There were plenty more interesting tones coming from this area but the roots where so thick and interwoven that despite my garden trowel being sharpened and having saw edges it couldn't get through them.  Looks like a Lesche is on the shopping list.

Will pack lunch and a thermos of coffee then hit the site again in the next couple of weekends, I didn't find much, but by persevering I know something good will pop out of the area.  Even if it doesn't produce I have had an interesting time find the place!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg151130.html#msg151130

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

ATPro-on-chimney.jpg
Finds.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:49:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now that is detective work.....research (and a bit of luck, for which you were prepared) paid off.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg151131.html#msg151131

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Weldone for finding the school, i know what it's like to get lost in the bush, i bet you were glad when you saw ya jeep

let us know how this story goes

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152296.html#msg152296

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well done on tracking the place down and I'm sure you are right there is something good waiting for you next time, or the time after...
Smiley Good story

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152339.html#msg152339

Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:40:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a cool and interesting story...thanks.....but make sure you wash that spoon before you use cause it's definitly past the five second rule!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152411.html#msg152411

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:58:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just a tip , next time u go hunting for a place , deep in the woods, take some white engineer  tape with u and wrap it around a tree every 50-100ft or so to mark you path this way it will be a lot easier to find ur way out and your vehicle next time. Grin  Grin

Great And Awesome job finding the school by the way !!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152419.html#msg152419

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:42:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys,
Planing on hitting it again tomorrow were I will make a start on gridding it properly and digging every beep including moving any roofing iron to hear what is under it. 

There must be something there as although not much money would have been carried it was the centre of the community for 120-150 people for 50 years at the turn of last century. Will also try to work out the old access road / track and hunt that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152579.html#msg152579

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:14:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

G Day mate, don't forget pictures coz Seldom, BA and Homie like pictures oh yeah and me too  Shocked   Grin Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152606.html#msg152606

Offline jnaleblanc
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Persistence pays off!  Thanks for the story.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152641.html#msg152641

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Spent another couple of hours up there today.  Didn't get to do anything I planned to do as I started gridding and got a signal which turned out to be another lead head nail.  But beside it the trowel scrapped over some pottery.  Out popped a 5" high salt glaze bottle marked "Bourne Denby".  Also saw some thick glass from a broken bottle so concentrated digging around that area.  Nothing more whole appeared but ended up with a small pile of broken bottles and pottery. Some matching pieces are very thick and may have been from a crock pot or milk urn or similar.

There was nothing more then 10" down so reckon the guys who dismantled the school might have had a smashing time getting rid of the "junk" that was in the building.  The tree roots that have since grown through the pile have obviously broken some of the finds as well.

Not exactly detector finds but it was the detector that allowed me to find the patch.

No pics of out in the bush as I forgot the camera, but pic below of the small bottle. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21850.msg152774.html#msg152774

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Salt-Glaze-bottle.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: