[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ArfieBoyTopic starter
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hope this isn't a   (I've been wanting to use this icon since it first appeared!), but what ever happended to the term "Treasure Hunting?"   This forum's name is "Thunting.com" and I assume the "T" stands for Treasure.  And that's what I'm looking for.
                                                                            Detecting
I know in the treasure hunting literature that over the years terms like "metal detecting", "metal  detectorist", "MD'ing", and other political correct terms have been replacing "treasure" and similar terms.  Why is that?  Who are we trying to please instead of just saying who and what we are?

I joined the hobby of "Treasure Hunting" back in the early 1970's, and I've been a Treasure Hunter ever since I started! Actually, I was one long before that, I just didn't know it!  True, I do use a metal detector to aid me in the hobby, but to me, I'm still a treasure hunter and my hobby is treasure hunting.

To me I will always be a treasure hunter and not a "metal detectorist!"  I much prefer the name treasure hunting and I, for one, will continue to use it to describe my hobby.  I am a metal detectorist in that I use one in my pursuit of treasure!  And i'm just like a little kid in that it is all treasure to me!

What do YOU think?  Let me know...  .   Wise

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26986.msg190746.html#msg190746

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:49:30 am by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:20:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

the term "treasure hunter" brings up visions of huge amounts of gold and silver to most people. It also brings up a vision of a professional treasure hunter. My good friends know that I find alot of good stuff because of my experience at this hobby. But some new people get visions of quitting their jobs and buying a metal detector to make a living when they see my best finds lol. I always tell them how many hours of finding trash or nothing it took to find that ring, coin or whatever it is they think is so cool that I found. And that at times I dont bring home enough in coins or "treasure" to even pay for my batteries let alone time, expenses, and the probably thousands Ive spent on tools and detectors in the last 30+ years Ive been doing this. I'm like a kid in a candy store that just found his favorite candy 10 for penny everytime I find something from the past. Even the iron junk or the "WTF is that!?" stuff, I just enjoy unearthing stuff that nobody has seen in over 100 years or more and the opportunity to find gold and silver stuff and old coins makes it even better. Most of my friends call me a treasure hunter, I think that name is the most prevelant over MDing, or MDist. Although they think I'm a nut for wanting to go out alone, get filthy dirty for hours to find junk in the ground, they know that its just my thing and whatever they choose to call it, its a passion for some, and they respect that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26986.msg190757.html#msg190757

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Metal Detectorist seems to have a bad Label here in the UK, Because of the night hawkers
and it feels like a dirty word when you say it,

As for Treasure Hunter that has a more of a romantic feel to it, But a certain TVpressenter/Actor
By the name of Tony Robinson Jumped on the band wagon Has'nt helped even though If it was'nt
for detectorists he would'nt have a program because we find the sites and then lose then to the Brit Arkies

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26986.msg190762.html#msg190762

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For me, when I'm swinging the detector on a club hunt or in a park, I'm metal detecting and taking what I find whether it's relics, coins, or whatever (swinging the detector takes precedence over what I'm finding).   But when I'm researching sites and looking for leads (or when I'm in the field swinging the detector looking for one of those specific leads I've been working), I'm treasure hunting......with an emphasis on hunt---I know what I'm looking for and the detector is only a tool to find it.

What other folks call me, really doesn't matter to me.   (btw, AU, in the US I think that detectorists have a better reputation than "treasure" hunters because the archies make "treasure" hunters out to be grave robbers more interested in selfish wealth than contributing to a collective understanding of history.    (Treasure hunters are capitalist swine and metal detectorist are fast become their useful toady wannabes))

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26986.msg190766.html#msg190766

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
(btw, AU, in the US I think that detectorists have a better reputation than "treasure" hunters because the archies make "treasure" hunters out to be grave robbers more interested in selfish wealth than contributing to a collective understanding of history.    (Treasure hunters are capitalist swine and metal detectorist are fast become their useful toady wannabes))

BA, That the same views over here but the detectorist is viewed as the criminal

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26986.msg190768.html#msg190768

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: