[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy Fillies and Gents,

I used to frequent THunting but have been experiencing problems with the site over the last few months.  It seems to be running well today so I am writing this post with hopes that I will be able to review the opinions that I get and/or answer.

The question itself is pretty simple but I certainly must let anyopne who reads this know where I am at in this hobby.  I have only been coin hunting for less than two years but I am a very well hooked guppy!  My only MD purchase was a combo deal that included the MPX with a BH Pioneer 505.

The 505 easily became my favorite.  Although I can operate it with better results now, it is still on a lower level than the BH.  It's large search coil would alert on a target when I would brush the grass!  Turning down the sensitivity was of no help due to the false targets were at full power when I would brush just a few blades with the coil.

Using the 8 inch coil helped greatly but it still can't compare to the BH period.  So, to wrap up, I use a Pioneer 505 and have little experience with anything other than an MPX. 

A few months ago, my 505 started to have issues such as not going into pin point when I press the button.  As of today, it's discriminate mode cannot see anything below a target ID of copper penny which is roughly midway through the spectrum of targets on the unit.  I have fiddled with it many times and I actually have it set hotter than I originally got it which makes me turn the sensitivity down from time to time. 

I have had great luck with the 4 inch sniper coil( I oz silver bar in a trashy gravel alleyway) and now understand that the 10 inch search coil should be used mostly to find hot spots in a large open area with little trash.  Once I am ready to truly hunt, the 10 incher comes off.

I can still use the 505.  I actually think that it's front panel with the buttons has gone bad.  Still though, I am at the point where I want something that I can run over my previously hunted spots and get better depth.  Also, better target ID at those deeper depths would be nice.  I have come to believe that Mine lab's multi-freq technology might be worth looking into.

I also would love to get a unit like the Excalibur series but I would really need to talk to someone who owns one and find out more details before dropping two grand on one.  I know of a place in this area that has had people getting drunk in waste deep water for a very long time.  I am 99% sure that no one has truly hunted this spot with a capable detector such as the Excalibur seems to be.

So here are my main questions.....

Is the multi freq technology as good as advertised?  My second choice would have to be the X-Terra for the versatility but I haven't gotten the chance to get any reviews.  Is the X-Terra as good as advertised?

My third choice might seem to be a huge plunge in quality but falling in love with my BH 505 has me really looking at the platinum or Gold MD's that they recently came out with.  Have any of you guys had any experiences with this MD or know anyone who has?

Lastly, what other unit's would fit my criteria for adding a little extra depth over the Pioneer 505?  I really love some of the high dollar units but I can't really say at this point if they will give me the improvements that I desire.

At this point, I will not go over $2000.00 US.  The Excalibur is right there and I would have to say that I see it as being tops but is it truly a top notch unit?  Does it have the technology that Minelab puts in it's best unit's and can you easily interface with the detector with it's underwater configuration when you are not in the water?  Would I do better with a multipurpose unit that has the full display seen on Minelab's best units?
\
  Thank you for your time in advance.  I must drive out to a customer's vessel a couple of hours away so I will log back on to review any suggestions.

Thnx

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg196453.html#msg196453

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline cholo manaba
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Ecuador

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Geo Examiner - Discovery TF-900 - Minelab X-Terra 705 Goldpack - Propointer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you feel ok with just sound and not visual TID'ng, then go ahead and blindly buy the Excalibur, you won't be dissapointed since it has 17 frequencies and a hell of a circuit for depth, stability and ground calibration. But be aware that when you deal with multi-frequency, multi-sound detectors (excalibur, e-trac, explorer, safari - in that order of performance); you have to re-learn and re-educate your hearing to the different sounds. Thankfully most of them have visual help too. I strongly suggest you to upgrade slowly to either a Fisher Goldbug pro/dp or a Minelab Goldpack. Both are great for finding small fine gold jewerly at good depths without giving up the silver, since they work at a higher frequency than the BH and MPX: 19KHz.

I currently own an Xterra 705 goldpack, and went back to a hunted-out park. I found about 160 dollars in coins, 3 gold rings, 4 silver ones and about 23 fantasy rings in that place using the GTI 2500 with the 9.5" coil. All that in a period of 2 years. Now I went back with my 705 about 3 weeks ago, and so far I have gathered 30 more dollars, 9 gold rings, 4 gold necklaces and 17 silver rings; among other stuff like bullets, pencil shapeners and watches. I am VERY VERY happy with this xterra.

Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg197343.html#msg197343

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:38:59 pm by cholo manaba »
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thx for the points of view.  I respect them greatly and will not forget them.

Since I haven't been around for a good while, I haven't read your reply before finding a Minelab sovereign 550 for a good price.  Since I only blew a hair over $100 bucks, I won't consider it a failure if I don't like it.  It was upgraded with the digital screen and re calibrated in ways that I will be asking the seller about since I am a technician myself who is eager to learn the tricks of MD circuitry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214624.html#msg214624

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:55:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi TRI, Those sovereings are a great machine for the beach, using all metal and checking your signals in Disc, and if you fit it with the
15" coiltek WOT coil you will be digging very deep indeed,
good luck with that machine coz the only thing that will beat it will be a pulse machine and maybe the Etrac

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214626.html#msg214626

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OOOOOPPPPPPsss Ridge Runner,

I goofed and had to cancel the transaction for a number of reasons.  I wish that I could have gotten that machine for less than $140 US but I shoudl have known better.  The seller was very very forgiving and I even offered to send him the cost of cancelling the transaction but he said to forget it.  If he is a member herre I would love to thank him once again.

So back to my quest, there are a pretty good number of old White's and Minelab machines that are available for under $250 US that I will be bidding on but what I need to know is which ones are the best bang for the buck.

The seller referred to my Pioneer 505 as a clad machine.  I wonder if he was hinting at it's lack of depth because as of now, I have it set so hot that I have to turn the gain down for the first time since I have owned it.  I really did get decent depth at first but now I haven't found silver in months and no longer have my eight inch coil which I think might have been the best fit for it even though the sniper coil has gotten me my best finds.

So talk to em Runner, what older models could be considered an upgrade to my 505 in mostly depth.  I am really considering something for the water but the units that I have seen are either too expensive or have too many bad reviews for my taste.

Thnx in advance

Posted on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:46 PM
Quote:Posted by cholo manaba
Fisher Goldbug pro/dp or a Minelab Goldpack

I keep a watchful eye out for those two.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214695.html#msg214695

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G'Day Tri, take a look at the whites MXTs and the XLTs and also the tesoro range of machines, the XLT is great on silver and the MXT are great on gold and silver and maybe if you want to really go made have a look at the DFX or the fisher F5 but if you want to find a sleeping giant here try and find a minelab muskateer Advantage coz its deep and it loves silver

i hope this helps coz any of the above machine will do the job very well

good luck mate

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214698.html#msg214698

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bounty hunters a cheaply made, Made in USA detector.

If you open one up the case is about 80% to large for the works and batteries.

But ya know what?

They Kick Butt.

I have a LS Camo (Thank You Bitburg)  that will find the gold earring backing down at 7".

On the Other hand, I have Never and I repeat NEVER heard any good about the MP  Detectors.

As a mater of fact , Just complaints about them Crapping out after the first few outings.

My thinking is Tesoro machines.

Simple.

Work.

Work Good.

Work Real Good.

Work Real Good for Gold.

Work Real Good for Gold and Jewelry.

And the Broke Fix Warranty for life kicks butt.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214702.html#msg214702

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'd go with what Ridgerunner and Homie and the other guys have suggested!

They know there stuff!

I'd say for price and quality, maybe the Tesoro line is the way to step up...

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214707.html#msg214707

Best Regards,
Jim

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thnx again Runner, I am sure that I will find something that will suit me for silver coin hunting.  Of coarse, it isn't all about silver coins, the gold rings that I know are out there are what is keeping me filling my trash pockets up with pull tabs, etc Thumbs Down.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27691.msg214940.html#msg214940

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: