[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Dirt DevilTopic starter
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:29:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

I search basically for old coins and nothing else.
I 'm not a nugget or relic hunter I pretty much look for those old coins.
I am in search of a good MD that is a coin getter.
Leaves that have fallen from the trees over the years in wooded areas puts coins fairly deep in the soil.
While doing my research on MD it seems that the whites XLT may be a great machine for finding those old and deeper
coins.Were talking a fair amount of money here for this MD so I was wanting to get some your thoughts about this machine or any other that you feel is a better coin hunting MD.If you own the xlt please give me some your pros and cons
you have with this machine.Spring time is near and I have to make my decission soon.
All your imput will be greatly appreciated.

Regards              V-burgh

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg144913.html#msg144913

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:20:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have an Xlt and find it a very good detector. That being said, I swear my old 5DB had better depth on silver dimes. Even a 5000D I had was a killer on deep silver. I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions here. Good question. Let's see what the pros have to say.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg144956.html#msg144956

Offline staceysallaboutu
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Xlt Minelab Quattro
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:50:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The First machine I used is a Whites Xlt..  I still use it, but am not a fan.  I have found many coins at upto 4'' but after that not so much.  Be sure to check the lack of coil options for this machine too..  If i had it to do over i wouldve bought the dfx.  The machine is quick and it is light, but thats all the good i can say for it.  Then again it could be just me.  The Xlt gives you alot of options in the program mode tweek this and tweek that,  Turn this on turn that off..  I just didnt see the performance that i was looking for, and definitely not the depth..

Stacey

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg144964.html#msg144964

Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:12:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys for your help.
Appears there's not many opinons about what is a great coin getter MD.
I know there are MD made to do specific jobs such as find gold etc.
I am looking for a MD that has been built around mainly finding coins and has decent depth to it.
Surely some of you have opinons on what you think is a great coin finding MD.

All your help and imput is greatly appreciated.

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg145069.html#msg145069

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:12:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by v-burgh
Thanks guys for your help.
Appears there's not many opinons about what is a great coin getter MD.
I know there are MD made to do specific jobs such as find gold etc.
I am looking for a MD that has been built around mainly finding coins and has decent depth to it.
Surely some of you have opinons on what you think is a great coin finding MD.

All your help and imput is greatly appreciated.

V-burgh

It has long been the dream of both detectorists and manufacturers to make a machine that can find specific items. As yet, that cannot be done. You state that machines are designed for gold only but that's not true. There are machines that are designed with timing and frequency that increase your chances of finding gold but no such machine exists that will ONLY find gold.

Coin machines are the same. A copper slug or bullet will often scream "Penny" to the detector. A brass pipe fitting will too. The reason you have not gotten any response to your query is that the answer to the question cannot be stated. Since there is no such machine as a coin getter, there won't be someone coming along with a make and model of a non existing machine. You did get a few responses though. At least to part of your multi-pronged question.

A specific answer to you? There is no machine that will detect only coins. You have to dig all the trash out to find those deeper coins. The trash may be those despicable relics you don't want to find but when you get them out of the way, your machine will find the coins left behind. I guarantee it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg145135.html#msg145135

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:27:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD
I'm well aware there is no MD that will only find coins.They are MD and thats what they do,find metal.
You will probably take to your grave the knowlege of these machines more than I will ever know.
With that being said I have read many posts on this board stating there is no one perfect machine,it all depends
on what you are looking for.That I agree with therefore I have stated what I am looking for.
I would not buy a ACE 250 if I were looking to find flake gold,that much I do know.
I am simply asking you and other members what they think prospers above the rest in finding coins at a decent dept.
Trust me I dig plenty pulltabs and other trash just like the rest of ya,I do understand as of now thats the way it is
with the current technology.I have no problem spending the time to learn the machine that I will be useing,I just don't
want to waste my time on a machine that is not capable of doing what I want from it.Thats why I'm asking what machine
would be your choice as a coin hunting MD.

V-burgh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg145187.html#msg145187

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

I sense from reading your posts and questions that you are concerned that you are not finding deeper, older coins. After a few years using any one detector, it becomes possible to hear the differences in tones for coins. I still dig every single target and am very often surprised by what sounds like an axe head actually being a silver dollar. That happened to me once. I found two Franklin halves in a single hole once that had me baffled as to what it was. My detector was making a sound like a large nail, a double blip but bigger, like a spike. What a surprise to find the two lovely coins in one hole.

What I'm getting at is that any machine that will find metal can become a smoking hot coin machine in the right hands. I do recommend digging every target even though it may irritate you to dig all that trash. Every now and again, when you sweep over the hole you just cleared, you'll hear that soft, mellow sound of a wonderful recovery-to-be. Not only that but all that up, down and digging is going to make you so fit you won't be able to stand it! After you get rid of the aches, that is. Always with the aches.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg145289.html#msg145289

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

HI V-burgh i've been up this road, If you don't get all the settins just right then one mistake and you stuffed, this is why i went with the MXT range , I want to detect not stuff around and always wonder if i had the right settins, I've bought the all singing all dancing machines, i like this hobby because i like detecting not computer programming, one machine i just bought in nov/december i just sold
deep or not ,my time off is spent detecting and i don't want to waste it diggin trash or trying to find a program that works.
I've found more in 6 months than i ever did with any multi whatever machine they can take up to six to eight months to learn and while your learning that machine i'm diggin it up and taking the good stuff home, I turn it on ,ground balance it and lock it and i'm diggin no grey areas there and with the coils these machines come with there ain't much left as i've been told by the people following me and the only doubts i ever have is have i covered everywhere i've been . I hope this is what you wanted to hear and it's not ment to
offend but like you i got swept along and now i got the mixture just right and it ain't broke so i'll not try to fix it, Good luck on what ever you decide, John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21348.msg145301.html#msg145301

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: