[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline texasred777Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« on: December 21, 2013, 08:17:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

When I started using a metal detector, in 1980, I bought a little cheap one from Radio Shack with no discrimination.  It was a non-motion type.  Then I bought a BH 840, which was a non-motion type.  My next door neighbor bought a BH Red Baron which was a motion type.  I tried his several times, but preferred the non-motion type.
 Question:  Why are almost all of the detectors now motion type?  Is there some great advantage?  I really liked the BH 840 because of the pinpointing advantage.  When I centered  on the find, I could push the button in the handle to make it less sensitive, and then pinpoint the find a lot closer.  I know some of the new detectors have a pinpointing mode.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg264707.html#msg264707

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:20:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

I too like the None Motion detection.   I think Whites was one of the First to use Motion Detection.   You had to Wip the dang things at the first but it did detect DEEP!  VLF uses a Difference between TX and RX phase to detect.   The motion Accentuates the Differences.  None Motion is more akin to TR.  In the VLF motion is detected as said by Phase change and the phase Change is more with motion.  Garrett Deep Seeker is a TR/VLF machine that does well with gold Nuggets and stuff.  TR is not as deep as the VLF but I like it because the crisp sound it makes.  I have hearing damage from the Military and I can hear it better.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg264708.html#msg264708

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, that helps a lot!  I am not that 'up' on the terminology on some of what you say; but I do know what you are talking about.  I thought it might be a difference in the type of signal; but didn't know.  Again, thank you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg264713.html#msg264713

Offline mrs.oroblanco
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Personally, I think "swinging" a detector covers more ground while you are walking. You can hear objects in front and on both sides of you.

Mrs.O

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg264831.html#msg264831

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:55:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The 1st generation of motion machines required one to swing the detector like a golf club!!! The ole Red Baron-7 had to be used like a weed wacker.  Whell almost Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg264834.html#msg264834

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Motion is used to minimize ground signal.  You can ground balance most of it out, but not all.   Motion in motion detectors helps to minimize the rest of the ground signal.
      I'm sure GD will eventually show up here and provide the "official" explanation from an engineer's standpoint.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg272270.html#msg272270

Offline Steve-D13
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

C.Scope R1, Viking 6
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have actually just taken the plunge from non motion to motion and must admit i'm struggling a little right now.
Not sure if it's the settings or me...maybe a little of both  Fight

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg272482.html#msg272482

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Going from non motion detector to motion detector does take some getting used too, personally I do not like the motion detectors but as it has been said there are some advantages, just take your time with it, get to know it and you will do great.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg272491.html#msg272491

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm like Xavier: I prefer a non motion detector.  I've been checking around to see if I could find someone to repair my old BH 840; but can't bring myself to send it to anyone that I've talked to so far.  I was on eBay week-before-last looking at some 'stuff' and spotted a BH 840 for sale.  The price (I thought) was ridiculous, but had the 'make offer' in the ad.  I made an offer that I thought might really tick the seller off.  But he just declined and countered with $10 dollars less than the listed price.  I declined his offer.  I waited a few days and then made another offer a little higher than before.  It also was declined; but a counter offer was made for just $5 more than I had offered and has a short guarantee with it.  The price was about half what it would cost to have my old one repaired; and the guarantee on the repairs would be only as long as the guarantee on the one I was looking at.  I bought it; should be here in the next day or so. 
I took the BH Tracker IV out into the backyard yesterday (partly cloudy, about 41 degrees, and 10 to 20 mph wind).  I spent about 45 minutes 'cleaning' a spot about 8' x 10' until I was getting no signals.  Just junk.  I want to do the whole yard this way.  I probably won't get too many days before spring; but now I'll have a non motion detector to use again!  I still plan to use the other BH detectors that I have; even if they are motion.  I need to get used to them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48567.msg272521.html#msg272521

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: