[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I use the 10 inch coil to cover a lot of ground fast. Its for relic hunting. I may go 20 minutes with out a signal, but when it hits, I usually have something. Not a coil for parks or trashy areas.

Good Luck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg158030.html#msg158030

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I Know what ya saying, my machine came with a 12" coil and it can be a pain

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg158072.html#msg158072

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
Why do you dislike big coils?

I bought an MP3 pro with a 10 inch coil and I can't figure it out.  Can't zero in on the targets, and it give me multiple audible signals on one object.  All my other detectors give me one solid beep when I'm over the target and this one chatters even on low power.  I was warned that I would have trouble with target ID on this machine but I bought one any way.  There are others, like AU who have big coils and no problems so its either me or the detector/coil.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg159934.html#msg159934

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 07:37:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Okletsee
I bought an MP3 pro with a 10 inch coil and I can't figure it out.  Can't zero in on the targets, and it give me multiple audible signals on one object.  All my other detectors give me one solid beep when I'm over the target and this one chatters even on low power.  I was warned that I would have trouble with target ID on this machine but I bought one any way.  There are others, like AU who have big coils and no problems so its either me or the detector/coil.

Ya Right Pat it maybe the coil coz that machine worked fine til that came along
Pat go and read my post called tests, there's some good info there

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg159938.html#msg159938

Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okletsee,

I have an MPX that was obtained as a package deal with my Pioneer 505.  That unit is the worst choice I could have made IMO.

First, I will get that dual tone thing when my batteries are running low FYI.  It really pisses me off. 

Secondly, that unit claims to be the deepest and all but it goes off every single time I hit the ground with it.  They must have that thing so amped up sensitive to get depth that a blade of grass sets it off.  I don't mean that I get a little weak signal from hitting the ground either, I get the full strength silver signal.

I have since learned how to use the MPX and will only deal with it when I bring a friend along to hunt with me.  If they use my unit then I will let them use the 505 while I use the MPX. 

Also, I found that the ground causeing false signals is not so bad with their 8 inch coil.  Since I know it's ins and outs, I just stick with the bigger coil anyway.

If I would have known what kind of hassle I would have gotten out of that MPX then I would have just bought one nicer detector with the money that I spent on the package deal that I got.

I am happy with the Pioneer 505 so far though.  I have had the opertunity to use my new 10 inch coil and found it to be a little weird and I need to get used to it some more before I put out a review on it.

It seems to cover ground well but I haven't seen much extra depth from it so far.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg159953.html#msg159953

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline Okletsee
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 10:07:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
I have since learned how to use the MPX

So maybe your saying you got it figured out?  I was thinking just ignore the 2-tone signals?  Or just make sure the two-tone signal can be repeated over and over before you dig?  The manual doesn't say anything about two tone signals.  I was thinking maybe its beeping at an alloy?(thus two tones)  I don't know.  I will post video later on the mp3 thread maybe you can look at it too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg160119.html#msg160119

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

If this coil is falseing then turn it down, a bigger coil means more mineralization the machine is reading coz the coil is seeing
more ground, It will still go deeper than the 8" coil unless the ground is highly mineralized and if it is then a smaller coil
will see deeper anyway, It's like using your high beam when your driving in fog, and if the mineralization is'nt too high it will
still see deeper than the 8" coil

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg160125.html#msg160125

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

AU said it right, I have to use my small 4 inch coil for coin shooting. Soil is bad. 8 inch will work, but 4 inch coil is faster.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg160203.html#msg160203

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Okletsee
So maybe your saying you got it figured out?  I was thinking just ignore the 2-tone signals?  Or just make sure the two-tone signal can be repeated over and over before you dig?  The manual doesn't say anything about two tone signals.  I was thinking maybe its beeping at an alloy?(thus two tones)  I don't know.  I will post video later on the mp3 thread maybe you can look at it too.

Maybe I should clarify what I call the "two tone" signal so that we can be sure that we are talking about the same thing.

I have noticed that every single target will id two different things when the batteries get low.  Maybe our units have the same problem but act a little differently.  When this happens, the unit id's the target well and then seems to add a low tone silver dollar id immediately afterwards.

It happens so fast that it makes me think that it is id'ing the same target as two things.  It really drove me to hate the unit until I changed the batteries and figured it out.

Since then I have made a power source out of a couple of ten volt regulators and my dewalt drill batteries which lasts much longer and holds the voltage at exactly ten volts the whole time.  This actually seems to get both of my units to work better for whatever reason.  Maybe my source has better power response than the cheapo 9-volt batteries that I buy at the dollar store.  I bought the 9 volt battery leads at radio shack and wired them up so that they work like two 9-volt battery's with the proper polarity and then I plug them in to whichever detector I want to use.  since both of my detectors work on two 9 volt batteries I use this supply every time I go out.

I know all about the power supplies on the detector's pcbs that regulate the voltages to 5Vd/c for it's TTL logic or whatever but I swear that my supply works noticeably better for whatever reason.  It also takes care of the double id's on the MPX.

Unfortunately, I fiddled with the mpx's pcb pots when I added an in line pot for the volume and I seem to have changed things for the worst.  THE VOLUME IS STUPID LOUD on that unit.  There is no darn reason for that and it's speaker has no chance of lasting a year without blowing.

Since I've fiddled with it's pots though,  I am now forced to take my mpx to my shop and put it on the scope to try to max it out again.  Maybe I will be able to fix the issue with it's going off when hitting the ground.  I will post a topic about it if I am successful.  I guess it's just my time to learn the ins and outs of fiddling with detectors since I have already messed it up.  It still works but it does not get the same depth that it used to. 

I would love to get some inside info on that MPX's pcb pots if anyone out there knows anything. Embarrassed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22403.msg160987.html#msg160987

Tri City Ditty

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:16:01 am by TriDitty »

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: