[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline silverbuzzTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:29:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all,
I am new here and fairly new to this hobby.  I became interested when a relative of my girlfriend came and hunted her front yard and found a handful of coins,  I couldn't believe it so I had to go out and get one and get started.  Bought an Ace 250 which I am very impressed with and have had tons of fun with.  I have done pretty good as far as I am concerned.  I have pulled a few hundred coins from the dirt along with some rings and some other interesting items along with about 8 tons worth of pull tabs.
I have a question though, it does not discourage me at all, but, I have to ask if anyone watches the videos on youtube?  Some of the people on there seem to pull alot of 1800's and early 1900 coins from the ground on a regular basis.  They don't even seem surprised when they do.
Is this normal? Am I hunting in the wrong places? I have only pulled two silver coins out so far and I have been at it for about two months.  (one 1964 dime, and a 1934 quarter).  I consider this pretty good but do others really have this good of luck?

Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37848.msg233339.html#msg233339

Offline aluminizer
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac, T-2, Red Baron VLF/SPD
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have often wondered the same thing.  However, I know that the areas that I hunt, except one, are mid 20th century sites here in the south.   
   Of course there are old objects to be found where ever people frequented.  Do your research and if you are hunting for older coins, slow down your walk speed, you need to to find those deep ones.  The DD coils help expand your cone but as depth increases the cone is still smaller than at the surface. 
   Unless we have pictures of where people were, we can only try and guess where they sat and dropped coins.  I know of a lake that used to be in my home town that was used by people to harvest ice in the winter and boat on during the summer.  That lake and all indications of it are gone.  There is a sewage treatment plant there now but I would venture to say the coins still lay hidden there in the dirt.

Do they really have better luck?Huh??  Na, I think they put in more hours and show us the things they want to.  I would also venture to say that these guys are thourough and walk slow.   We don't generally get to see the trash they dig, I bet it is significant as you can verify.

Are you hunting the wrong places?Huh??  Perhaps.  I like to look under cloths lines in older home sites.  Where?  The back yard, lol somewhere in the back yard there was a cloths line. 

Have fun and keep sharing your finds.  One day you will hit a good site and be totally stoked again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37848.msg233376.html#msg233376

Keep Swingin

If some is good and more is better then too much is just right!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

"Unless we have pictures of where people were, we can only try and guess where they sat and dropped coins.  I know of a lake that used to be in my home town that was used by people to harvest ice in the winter and boat on during the summer.  That lake and all indications of it are gone.  There is a sewage treatment plant there now but I would venture to say the coins still lay hidden there in the dirt."

You do have a Picture !

Picture in your head people sitting under the Shade Tree that was and still is there after 50 or 100 years.

Picture the Kids playing in the River, Park eating there pulled pork sandwiches drinking Cool Aid in the shade.

yea, it all happened there.

Here I am walking out in the Desert miles from anything and thinking , Eaaaaa I bet I'm the only one that's been here in a while.

Then I see a special Spot.   A hole in the Wall  Dent in the Rocks?   Over Hang with Shade?

Maybe just a Dent in the Rocks that collected water at one time.

If I sit down, Smoke a Cigarette (YEA I SMOKE)  look around guess what?

I start finding stuff.

I find the little place they made a small fire to cook what they had.

I find the chipped Rocks they made Points with.

I find that odd Tobacco Can under the bush.

I find a Condensed Milk can they made dinner with.

Yep It's out here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37848.msg233379.html#msg233379

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:34:15 am by homefire »
Offline CCSportsdad
Knight
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you15

Activity
0%
Male

1535.00 Gold
View Inventory
@ccsportsdad
Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I subscribe to the you-tube channels of numerous diggers for dirt, sand and wet condition digging.   I love watching them.   And like Homie, I cannot walk into an area now without thinking if it would be a good spot to detect or not Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37848.msg233392.html#msg233392

Good luck with your hunts Smiley
Chris

Best find Ever So Far- A Silver Ring!!!!
My oldest Coin - 1962 Canadian Penny

Offline relicranger
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab xterra 505
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think you are doing great.  Two months in and you are getting rings and silver . Thats good hunting.  Now find the oldest homes in your area and start knocking on doors , get permission and hunt those places . While doing that I bet you get more leads from people who see and talk to you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37848.msg233555.html#msg233555

Offline caleb
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Omega, Lone Star, Goldmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I too just really got into this hobby, I have watched tons of you tube sometimes shaking my head at the stupidity. Good fun though when you cant be out swinging. I have yet to find a silver coin, but just today I pulled a silver ring and a gold ring from the edge of the lake. Eventually the law of averages will work in your favor and you will find more silver. Of course it has to be there for you to find it first. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37848.msg233576.html#msg233576

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: