[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bludgerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

soveriegn pro, homebrew goldseeker PI
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Will try the FET first Frank the one i pulled out maybe ok  :Smiley did the multimeter test wrong, multimeter output voltage on diode turned it on ok, didn't seem to stay on though.
Hav'nt found the driver circuit yet runs off on the double sided somewhere.
Think, rip it all out and put a couple of regulators in instead like they should have done in the fist place Grin.

Cheers Jeff.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg59938.html#msg59938

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:27:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In considering this problem, have you looked at the concept that it may be a battery pack rather than a split power supply? My Garrett Groundhog uses 4 9v batteries. Two in parallel and two in series for a 9v and 18v power supply. Have you checked with Woody regarding schematics yet?

Please Register or Login

http://detectormods.com/

He sells a power supply for most Minelab detectors that uses LiPo batteries. For all the time you have spent on this, you could have found gallons of nuggets if you had it repaired by him. Did you ask for a quote?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg59939.html#msg59939

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sovereign, Whites 6000/DI Pro, Whites Surfmaster Plus
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 12:37:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger,
The Sovereigns use either a rechargeable 10 volt battery pack (8 x 1.25 volt cells) or a 12 volt pack using 1.5 volt primary cells. I actually use a 12 volt Gel Cell I hang on my belt to power the unit via a cable, lots more run time and cheaper battery packs. All cells are in series. As you indicate, if the supply were split it would be simpler to add regulators as Bludger suggests.

Bludger,
I opened up my control box and took a picture for you. I have attached a cropped version of the picture showing the main components in the power supply. I also updated the schematic to add missing reference designators to help you associate the parts with a reference designator.Hopefully your board uses the same designators.

The ICs as I recall are all labeled underneath the IC, which doesn't help much for troubleshooting. The passive surface mount components don't have labels, you sort of have to trace them to the known part pins. U1 is above D404 in the picture with a resistor and capacitor in between. Key parts for troubleshooting the supply are shown in the cropped picture. If you let me know what the voltages are that you find on the U1 pins and at L101 and L102, maybe I can help you troubleshoot the circuit.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60103.html#msg60103

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Sovereign XS2-Pro PCB Power Supply Area.jpg
Sovereign XS2-Pro Power Supply Schematic.PDF

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 06:18:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Typical bloke if i break it like to try and fix it myself first,if all else fails then consult the guru.
Like to be out [detecting]too, dont we all.
Part of supply, as Frank shows on the schematics, is supposed to give regulated+&-5V from the 12V supply and is not.
pretty straight forward circuitry but being double sided and no schematics, going to take longer. 

Thanks again Frank for the info and the photo's.
My board has sovereign 6/96 rev3.2, software has rev1.1.

Have included photo of section, looks like U23 LM13600N drives FET gate.
replacing FET didnt fix it directly, but if the driver has failed would look at the FET too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60364.html#msg60364

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

sovereign xs2 pro power supply 002.jpg

Offline dinso
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sovereign XS2-A
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Bludger, bad luck with the Sov. - hope you get it fixed eventually...
Just wanted to share something I have found very useful to extend the time you are out in the fields.
I modified my Sov XS2 to run on 4 Lithium batteries which are from a laptop battery pack. They each provide 3.7V DC when fully charged, so 4 together in series provide 14.8V. This is potentially dangerous for the components on the control board, so you will need to drop this down to around 13V or so. This can easily be achieved by putting 4 silicon diodes in series with the cells. The end-result is a very light and compact power source which provides 2.5Ah - 25% more than the lead-acid gel-cell I used to use! Since the Sovereign only sinks around 60mA when detecting (as long as using headphones) this gives a very long time between charges. Care is needed when charging the cells though, as applying more than 4.2V per cell may lead to an unwanted explosion!
Cheers Dinso.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60397.html#msg60397

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bludger,
I opened up my older Sovereign and took a couple of photos of my board. That Board is a 2/91 Rev 2.3; apparently they went thropugh a lot of different layouts over the years! Interestingly, that board looks like it has the same basic driver layout as my later design schematic, but the reference designators are different, and the only surface mount parts on my board are the CMOS ICs. The driver FET (ST70A) on the board is Q7 (Q402 on the schematic), and it appears to be controlled by U24 (TL062CP) which is the same part shown as U1 on the schematic. The 2.5 volt reference diode is D1 (same as D403 on the schematic). Q7 is just above the two orange tantalum capacitors in the picture, U 24 is just to the right.

My board also has an LM13600N shown as U23, but I don't believe this is part of the basic power supply. It gets confusing trying to trace the parts on the board! You might want to re-check to see if you have a TL062CP part and if pin 7 connects to a FET gate; those are the two suspect parts. Also, let me know whether the TL062 is surface mount or through-hole dip package.

A complete shot of your board would be cool for my reference files!

Thought that I would take the newer of my two Soverigns for a 1 hour walk in the park before dark. Very easy to get used to th3e machine again. Picked up $1.91 in US clad plus an amusement token, a button, and an aluminum piece probably from a bike. Dug quite a few caps and pull tabs, a few representative examples in the attached picture. I will get the second detector back together and try it out in the near future.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60416.html#msg60416

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Nov 28 2009.jpg
Sovereign 2-91 Rev 2.3 Power Supply Area.jpg
Sovereign 2-91 Rev 2.3.jpg

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 05:28:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Frank

Battery voltage is 12.78.
voltages at the inductors,on mine L1,L2,L3,L4, show around 2V between pairs of inductors instead of the 10V.
Have found the U1 on the other end of the board, on mine it is a LM833N, similar dual op amp like yours.
[clapp]When i introduce a power supply across the +&- 5V rails it powers up but not sure it is detecting though yet.
Will investigate the op amp more as you suggested.
Regards Jeff.

Frank.
Good detailed photo's.Will take some tommorow, its midnight here Exhausted and off to bed.
Yeh looks like nothing much has changed apart from that FET i changed and that 6/96 is nearly all surface mount except for a few chips which include the LM833N and theTL062CP, will investigate that op amp

Regards Jeff
Hi Frank

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60659.html#msg60659

xs 2 pro 011.jpg
xs 2 pro 012.jpg

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bludger,
From your 012 picture it looks like U24 may be a TL062CP and U2 the FET? U2 is right next to pins 1 & 8 of U24 from what it appears. Check the voltage between pins 4 & 8 on U24 with the power switch on, and see if you get battery voltage. If so, that has to be the proper IC. If it looks correct, check the voltage on all pins of the IC. All the other layouts seem to keep the FET and control IC close to the output caps, so this would make sense.

Nice pictures, I'll put a copy on my hard drive!

If it appears that you need additional replacement parts, I can send you 2N7000 and TL082 parts which should be good substitutes for the originals. I happen to have quite a few of each. Large parts collection over 39 years in electronics as you can see!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60756.html#msg60756

P1010036.jpg
P1010037.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 03:25:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sov535, might I suggest that he send the PC board to you for your more hands on expert opinion?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg60766.html#msg60766

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sov535
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

1201.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 08:21:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If Bludger trusts me with his control box, I would be willing to troubleshoot and repair it for the cost of postage. I would enjoy hearing that it is back in working condition! Bludger has my email address, I can send him my mailing address.

I pulled the control IC and FET from my older Sovereign tonight, socketed them both, and learned that the TL082 subsitutes directly for the TL062, but the 2N7000 has the drain and source leads reversed from the original FETs that qwere used in the Sovereign. Otherwise, it is a straightforward replacement.  Detecting
Bludger,
 I mistakenly posted  U2 as the pass MOSFET, it should have been Q7 ( ST70A on my old machine). If you replaced Q7 with the 2SK970, there may be an issue with the pinouts being different. The original part has the flat side of the TO-92 case facing away from the U24 IC, and has the attached pinout. The 2SK970 has a different pinout, as also can be seen in the attachment. You might try correlating the gate, source and drain between the replacement and original parts. I'm convinced that Q7 and U24 are the suspect parts.

If you are tired of dealing with this, email me and send it across the pond and I will attempt to repair it for free if you pay the postage both ways.
In an attempt to verify my schematic, I breadboarded tehe Sovereign power supply circuit so I could play with it without risk to my working detector circuit board. Things I found out about the circuit:

1. The loads are an essential part of teh power supply design. Because there is no DC return path to the center-tapped filter capacitors, a load across teh +5V supply and across the -5V supply to the capacitor center tap point is necessary to make the supply work at all. Then  =5V supply load is about 100 ohms, the -5 about 200 ohms for proper operation with a 12 volt battery input.

2. The typical battery drain at 12V input is about 55 milliamperes.

3. The +5V supply is essentially unregulated and drops by roughly 50% of the battery voltage decrease . The -5V supply remains in regulation until the battery voltage reaches about 9.5 volts.

4. The Sovereign is obviously not too sensitive to absolute voltage levels of the power supply, but this makes me wonder whether threshold settings change somewhat as the battery is drained.

5. The circuit was designed around the mid to late 80's I believe. The efficiency of regulators then was no so good as it is today. There was probably a decision to maximize the efficiency fo the battery pack by foregoing regulation of the +5V supply, and only regulating the -5V supply because that came free when creating the circuitry to incorporate that supply. Cost of the parts was also probably a consideration.

6. A dual output regulated supply would most likely improve performance at low battery levels. But it would require either a split battery with two regulators or a switching regulator with dual isolated outputs. Since the current drains are different on the two supplies, a split battery would mean that the batteries would drain unequally. That would make the more complicated design and a single battery the more desireable choice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7722.msg61060.html#msg61060

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

2sk940.pdf
BS_BS170 page 1.pdf
P1010038.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: