[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HectorTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK
I'm now convinced, after spending over 50hrs with this thing, I think it has great features and depth potential for a $15 investment.(plus parts and labor)
After seeing dozens of machines work on YT, I'm convinced this thing can compete, aside from disc ability.
NOTE: The MD 7012 and 3006 are exactly the same. (except for the #)

My plan is to make a scale up copy of the original coils and to separate the box from the pole.
My big Q is, if I scale it up and keep the resistance matched, will the circuit see it as the same?

Is there anyone else who has had one of these units and did any mods?(comments?)
Is anyone familiar with the coil configuration?
See pics: famous trails model 3006 - cant zero out unit just tones.
I haven't seen another design like it in any other detector and I think it's a good one.
Thanks in advance for all the great tech advice I will soon be getting...right?  :Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg156418.html#msg156418

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by HECTOR
My big Q is, if I scale it up and keep the resistance matched, will the circuit see it as the same?

No. Resistance is a factor but your coil needs to have the same inductance. If the resistance is different, it will affect the overall energy in the field the coil generates in the transmit mode and has no effect on the receiver coil, which also must match in inductance.

Do not believe what you read about resistance here and on other forums. Electronically, the important factor is the inductance of the coil. The resistance will mildly affect the decay time in a PI detector but in a VLF/TR machine, it affects the amount of energy in the transmit field. Resistance is nothing more than the amount of resistance that copper wire offers to the circuit. You cannot adjust that while adding more wire or wrapping it bigger. If you do match the resistance and ignore the inductance, your coil may not work at all because it detunes the TX or RX circuit (or both).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg157364.html#msg157364

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:33:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks much for the input GD!
So, would it be common practice to reduce the wire gauge or # of turns in a scale up project?
I'm a self taught audio electronics tech, but little understanding of different detector/inductance circuits.
Is there a simple formula if I knew the # of turns, wire dia., coil dia. to match things up on a larger scale?
I threw together a larger dual coil copy out of some wire that I had on hand for decades but it was fatter wire so I just used all 100' and still didn't come up with enough ohms so I added a resistor and matched it up that way.
The Xmitter coil is closer and is also off but I was able to tune it and got it to detect at about 1".
Maybe just a general rule of thumb would do for inductance coil scale up projects?
Also, how much does stacking/layering come into play when speaking of inductance in coils?
I would think that the more organized the coil is, the more precise the field will be?
Any general tips for making scale up coils in a unit of this type? (I assume you already know this is a dual coil transmitter type)
I do have an O-scope, audio freq gen and counter.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg157387.html#msg157387

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:18:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hector,

Let me know if you need any pics. I have them downloaded on photobucket right now. I put off building a pull behind coil as there is too many things you have to do. There is some aftermarket coils out there, and with the freq being 15 khz, maybe you could try other coils from detectors with the same freq?

Phelps Dodge can probably get you the right wire size.

When you get it working, please post pics.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg157398.html#msg157398

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:32:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks much for the input GD!
So, would it be common practice to reduce the wire gauge or # of turns in a scale up project?

You're welcome. There is a practical limit regarding the scaling up of a coil on an existing machine. The ones you see on TV chasing meteorites are not just bigger coils attached to a detector even though they look like it. The power must be amplified and sometimes a separate tuning circuit is in play to step the frequency up or down.

If you really want a big coil detector, start with the coil and design a detector to use it. Seriously.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg159151.html#msg159151

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:29:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

I don't watch much BS box any more. No no!
Your logic escapes me since many detectors offer several sizes of coils. Undecided
There must be something that you left out. Huh?
For this particular machine, are you saying that it's impractical to try and gain more depth by stepping up the coil size a bit?
I'm actually not as inspired as I was since I snagged the Cibola but the 7012 is night/day different and I thought it would be neat to have another detector with separate abilities.
What would you do to get some use out of the 7012 while keeping the Cibola as the main unit? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg159172.html#msg159172

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:42:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your logic escapes me since many detectors offer several sizes of coils. Undecided
There must be something that you left out. Huh?
For this particular machine, are you saying that it's impractical to try and gain more depth by stepping up the coil size a bit?

A bit? No problem. Yes, there are a variety of coils for many machines which are all matched in impedance to the machine making them interchangeable. What I said is that there is a PRACTICAL LIMIT to how large you can go before you need to amplify and alter the signal to drive the larger coil.

It's not a simple project, my friend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22306.msg162085.html#msg162085

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: