[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline greasemunkeyTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, here we go. Can't promise to get this done in one evening (I'm supposed to be mowing the lawn right now) so may be a work in progress.

Here's a pic of the original coil winder, hopefully my second attempt (building as I'm posting) will be the new + improved version.

The basic idea is that the coil form (The 'D' shaped bit) is in 3 pieces - the 2 side plates are bolted to the center plate and are removable once the coil is wound + tied. Once the side plates are removed it is easy to pop the wound coil out of there.

To start with you'll need a template for the coil former. If you download the TGSL build guide at

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

www.geotech1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15578
and go to page 12 there is a decent template, courtesy of Pip3c. At its current size if you were to just print it, you'll get a coil of roughly 7 1/2". If you need to go bigger or smaller you'll need to resize it of course, although I couldn't tell you exactly how to do that from a pdf file at this point.
Alternatively, open up MS Paint and type a capital D. Now resize it and print it. Keep doing that until it prints the size of coil you want, then modify that D in MS paint by rounding the pointy corners off.

Don't close MS paint just yet - go ahead and resize again for an extra 1/4" around the outside. This will be the template for the 2 outside plates of the form.
You could also just print a second copy of your first template, then trace around it with a chopstick taped to a sharpie. That probably sounds kinda dumb, let me grab a pic real quick...

brb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196557.html#msg196557

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hopefully you can see from the pic, it's just a pen taped to a chopstick. Trace around the outside of the template for an extra 1/4" or so.
Next, cut out the 2 templates and transfer them to your piece of plywood. I think the stuff I'm using is 3/16" ply. I would suggest a decent grade of ply or you'll get your coil wire snagged on all the rough edges as you wind - very annoying. They usually have good ply in smaller sheets at hobby/modelling shops.

You can either trace around your templates, or simply spray paint over it like I did. Remember you'll need 2 of the larger D, one of the smaller.

Gonna go cut wood.
brb.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196561.html#msg196561

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

winder_1.jpg
winder_2.jpg
winder_3.jpg

Offline zombie
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

131.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jw fisher pulse 8x
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:42:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

good stuff, keep it coming. this is the type of stuff i'm interested in.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196562.html#msg196562

The philosophy of inevitable discovery, seek and ye shall find.

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh yeah, on the subject of snagging wire - I had planned on trying one of these with plexiglass instead of ply for the form. I'm not sure quite how well that stuff cuts with a jigsaw, and I don't have any handy in the garage, but if it works then it would certainly take care of the rough edges problem.
I'll give it a go at some point.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196563.html#msg196563

Offline zombie
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

131.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jw fisher pulse 8x
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hey GM to cut plexi, just score it heavily with a box cutter and then it will snap in half. if you try to use a jigsaw it will actually melt the plexi.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196565.html#msg196565

The philosophy of inevitable discovery, seek and ye shall find.

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

I saw some stuff at my local RC/hobby shop a couple of days ago, kind of like an ABS/UPVC plastic in sheets of varying thickness. I believe you can use a router on this stuff. I'll pick some up next time I'm in the area and find out what it's called. I could make a really nice form with that, with beveled edges and such. The coil wire should slip on there really easy too for a nice tight wind.
It also comes in different colours if you want to get real fancy  Grin

More to come - I've got the form almost finished, but the camera battery went dead  Angry

Posted on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:06 PM
Once your 3 pieces are cut, sandwich the smaller one between the two larger. Line them up so that there's a nice even channel all the way around. Clamp them in place and drill the 3 holes for your bolts. Put a bolt through each time you drill a hole to help against slippage.
I've used 1/4" nylon bolts + nuts (home depot has them). If you're building a TGSL and are figuring out how many turns you need by matching the frequency (because you don't have an inductance meter), you'll be able to measure with the coil still on the form if you don't use any metal parts to build your winder.

Next, cut a piece of wood dowel (I used 3/8" dowel), find the center of your form and drill the hole for the dowel.
I've cut about a 9" length, but that's probably going to change. I'm building as I go, so I'll take measurements and post them at the end.

Don't glue the dowel into the form yet. It will only be glued to the center plate of the form, so that you can remove the bolts and take the sides off to remove your coil.

Posted on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:40 PM
Now is probably a good time to cut slots (thanks to Golddigger for that suggestion - worked out really well). Put the form together and tighten the bolts (shouldn't need much more than finger tight). You can leave the doweling out for now. Cut the slots about 1/2 to 3/4" apart all around the edge of the form. You'll need to cut a couple of millimeters into the middle D so that you'll be able to push a needle through underneath your coil once it's wound.

Please be careful by the way. Remember - diamond earrings, gold nuggets and all that other stuff you guys like to find are very difficult to pick up without the proper amount of fingers. I'd hate for anyone to end up in the hospital while following my post!

Gonna go start on the frame now.

Posted on: September 28, 2011, 09:53:56 PM
Oh yeah, the V you see cut in the bottom of the form in the picture is to hang the tail end of the wire through when you start winding. You can wrap the tail around the doweling a couple of times to keep it in place.

Posted on: September 28, 2011, 10:01:32 PM
OK, I have a base board that is 18" x 19" from 3/4" ply, and two uprights 13" tall by 4" wide from 1/2" ply. The base board is much bigger than is needed (10" x 10" would probably do fine) but I think I'm going to try and add an electric motor a bit later on and will need the extra support on one side. 13" is probably higher than necessary too, but I'm trying to keep the sawing down so that my neighbour doesn't implode (it's getting a bit late). 8 or 10" would be fine for the height. At 8" you'd be able to fit a form for about a 14" coil
Clamp the two uprights together lining up a nice square end on each (they will be glued to the base board, so the squarer they are the straighter it will stand up). Drill a hole through both for your doweling, at the opposite end to your square end.
Now on one of the uprights, put your drill through the hole you just made, run the drill, then pull your drill down at and angle, so that you're making a tapered 30-40 degree hole instead of a straight one. You'll need this to be able to remove your form in order to take it apart once you need to remove the coil from it. You'll pull the dowel +  form out of one side, angle it up then pull it from the other side.
Hmm, that probably sounds a bit confusing. I'll take a pic so you can see what I mean.

Next, glue your two uprights in place. Put the doweling through while you're gluing the uprights to help keep them in line.
I'm just going to epoxy my uprights and leave it overnight. If you're using wood glue make sure you clamp it in place.

That's enough for me for one night, I'll try and get this finished up tomorrow.

Paul.

Posted on: September 28, 2011, 11:16:57 PM
Ok, where was I at?
I now have a base with two uprights with holes drilled for the doweling, as well as the 3 piece form.
Time to glue the form in place on the dowel. Remove the two side panels from the form - only the middle (smaller) D will be glued to the dowel.
Mount the dowel in the frame along with the middle panel of the form. You'll want to have the dowel sticking out on one side of the frame, but not the other. This is where your winder handle will be, so if you're right handed leave the dowel sticking out the right.

The form needs to be glued pretty straight, or it will wiggle as you turn. A neat trick I just came up with is to use the biggest 3/8" drive socket you can find to hold it square (assuming you have 3/8" dowel like I do).
Get everything set up before you glue with your dowel for the handle sticking out one side, and the form panel equidistant between the uprights (see pic). Slide the socket up to the form plate and squeeze them together. Glue the panel to the dowel on one side. Once it's set, slide the socket out the way and glue the other side.
I used thin CA glue for this, with a spray accelerator. It makes it a nice quick job, and there aren't any globs of glue. If you do get globs you'll need to remove them somehow or your outer panels won't sit flush, you'll end up with a gap between the panels, and your coil wire will get stuck down it as you wind.

Once that's glued and dried you can remove it from the frame and install the outer panels (hopefully you understood the part about beveling the hole on one of the uprights at 30-40 degrees, or you won't be able to remove your form at this point).

That's about it for that part. You can now mount your form back on the frame and give it a spin. Hopefully it's reasonably straight and doesn't wiggle too much.

You'll need a winder handle. I haven't figured out a particularly good way to do that yet. I just have a length of thin ply (or a piece of an old wooden ruler, or one of those paint stirrer sticks) with a 3/8" hole at one end to mount on the dowel, and a hole at the other end with a bolt through it. A self tapping screw holds the handle to the dowel.

Lastly, you need somewhere to put your roll of coil wire. I cut a square of 3/4" ply roughly 3" x 3", drilled a hole and glued in a 3" length of doweling, then glued it to the base board. Line it up so that the roll of wire will sit in line with your form. If you're going to end up with any sort of angle on your dowel, make sure it's tilted a little up. If it's tilted down any the roll of wire will keep creeping down and falling off as you wind.

As you can see from the last picture it is far from perfect, but it works ok. The wire snags a little on the rough edges. I could either sand it smooth or carefully wrap the form panels with masking tape to take care of the problem, but I'm going to try and build the form out of plastic as soon as I get time.

I have another plan in the works to mount an electric drill instead of the winder handle. The drill chuck will directly hold the dowel, and I'll regulate speed with a dimmer switch and a footswitch. If I'm going to go to all that trouble I should probably add a digital counter too.

I'll keep you all posted on how that goes.

Thanks for reading. I'm glad there are people were interested in my project. And for those of you who aren't interested - my apologies for spamming the 'new posts' list for the past couple of days  Smiley

Paul.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196649.html#msg196649

There are 13 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

coil_build_1.jpg
winder_10.jpg
winder_11.jpg
winder_12.jpg
winder_13.jpg
winder_14.jpg
winder_15.jpg
winder_4.jpg
winder_5.jpg
winder_6.jpg
winder_7.jpg
winder_8.jpg
winder_9.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:49:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by zombie
good stuff, keep it coming. this is the type of stuff i'm interested in.

Heh! I know all about you zombies, mate. All you want to do is eat people brains.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196843.html#msg196843

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:51:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Heh! I know all about you zombies, mate. All you want to do is eat people brains.

I don't eat them but I do Pick them!  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196851.html#msg196851

WB4RAV

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:54:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just made another form, from 1/4" balsa this time - loads easier and quicker to work with, though probably a bit squishy for mass production.
The outlines for the forms can be cut fairly rough initially, then shaped with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper. The heavy grit goes through balsa really quickly - kind of like grating cheese.

I also added holes at the ends of the slots for easy threading.

This one is much straighter than previous forms which makes winding a LOT easier. The 3/8" doweling I was using was a little warped so I used some 1/2" instead that I'd rolled across a table top to check for straightness. This also meant I had a bigger socket available to square the form on the dowel (had a 32mm in a 1/2" drive).

I'm in the process of wrapping my second coil and will hopefully get to test them out on the TGSL circuit either tomorrow or Tuesday evening  Smiley
The first ended up at 6.7mH and this one looks like it's going to settle at 6.1mH. I guess I'll soon find out if that's going to be close enough.

Paul.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196870.html#msg196870

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

winder_16.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 06:01:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You might consider adding a click counter that advances with each revolution to keep track of your coil turns.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27709.msg196921.html#msg196921

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: