[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline DWEST1Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:23:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

A PROJECT THAT I AM CONTEMPLATING A METAL DETECTOR USING A LAP TOP TO DO THE PROCESSING WITH A LARGE COIL SAY 18 FEET BY 4 FEET. WITH ALL DO RESPECT I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANOTHER METHOD TO MY MADNESS BUT BY ALL MEANS ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED.WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO IS RUN MY LAPTOP OR POSSIBLE A XEON DUAL PROCESSOR WORK STATION USING A PROGRAM THAT IS OPEN SOURCE WRITTEN BY THE HAM RADIO GUYS CALLED  SPECTRUM LAB FOR SIGNAL PROCESSING .THIS PROGRAM USES SOUND CARD INPUTS AND OUTPUTS FOR TX AND RX OF SIGNAL . I WOULD LIKE TO INTERFACE THE OUT PUT THROUGH A CAR AUDIO AMP TO THE TX COIL AND INTERFACE THE INPUT TO THE RX COIL. TO THIS I WILL ADD A GPS THAT CAN BE TRIGGERED BY THE SOFTWARE FOR MAPPING TO GOOGLE EARTH THROUGH A ONBOARD CELLULAR CONNECTION FOR REAL TIME DATA LOGGING AND MAPPING. I KNOW ITS A LITTLE OVERKILL BUT i AM WORKING WITH WHAT I HAVE ON HAND ,A FEW TALENTED FREINDS AND $20. ALSO IN MY WORLD BIGGER IS BETTER.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11962.msg77115.html#msg77115

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:20:28 pm by seldom »
Offline yourownfree
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

117.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:57:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I like the part with 20 bucks. I think I see your vision. You want to map the underground according to the transmit signal. They do have those devices, can't say that I have looked at them, but I would like to if I knew what they are called. As for your idea, 20 bucks would go a long way for refreshments while building the project. Ok, maybe not. The spectrum analyzer is ok, but think about it for a moment. what is it you expect to see with it? You send a signal with the tx coil and you receive the same signal, kinda. So what you need to do is figure out what signal do you want to see in return, a slight change in power maybe, when disturbed by an object, maybe a phase difference of some kind, where the signal takes on a Doppler effect, and the signals frequency is shifted slightly, maybe need to add a timed input where the rx only kicks in during the decay of the pulse. So in that case build a PI oscillator, or heck use you laptop to generate any frequency you want, within range of laptop, then use the sound output to drive a mosfet circuit that drives the coil. That part should be a piece of cake. Now, just a minute...... Ok I got it. Just make or use an existing PI design, such as Gary's PI ll, and just hook the sound card up to the detectors speaker jack and adjust the output as to not over drive the sound card. In other words all you need is a PI unit and plug into the sound card, from the speaker jack, from the PI unit. When the detector unit varies the sound, have the computer start recording data, GPS, and other to a spreadsheet or whatever. You can even use screen recorder to record the screen. So all you need is to make a program to turn on and off other programs. These programs can be started manually or by an external component monitoring the output from the detector or from the spectrum analyzer revised to run your programs. Just my thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11962.msg78820.html#msg78820

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

marlborough.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:40:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck with that.

Do us a favor and turn off your caps lock, mate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11962.msg78835.html#msg78835

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: