[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ksightlerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:28:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

My Pulse 12 stopped working and while opening the box to access the electronics I noticed that 4 IC chips have been compromised by water. JW fishers scratches out the chips ID info so you can't fix yourself. Does anyone have the schematics for this detector? I can read the last line of one of the 16 pin chips  Hnn9931 7  Top row appears to be HEP?Huh???BP Middle row  (C? or 0) 607?MP Not really sure about the top or middle rows they are not clear but these were my best guesses. These are philips IC/cmos 16 pin chips labled P1, P2, and P3 on circuit board (three towfish channels). It appears that these are in pairs of the same chips??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20904.msg138819.html#msg138819

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1060846.JPG

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:54:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

You might not need that information.

Before you try to replace them, try this. Wash both sides the board in the affected area with a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water. Rinse it with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol (from your local pharmacy - don't use the 70% unless you absolutely must). Blow it dry with a cheap hair dryer but don't get too close with the hot air.

Inspect the board traces (the copper under the green paint) to see if any are broken or corroded through. The white stuff you see is also shorting the pins together acting as a conductor so be sure the pins on all of the ICs are separate and free of corrosion. Look closely to see that the solder is not compromised. If it is, brush some flux over it and heat it to reflow it. When doing so, be careful that you don't create any new solder bridges. You might have to add some small amount of solder so use the smallest diameter of multicore solder that you can get.

If any of the traces are broken, you will have to fix them by scraping the green paint off and adding a tiny bit of wire to reconnect the gap. You can use ordinary zip cord (the stuff that you use for speakers that zips apart when you pull it) but only use one strand of the wire holding it in place with tweezers as you solder it. An inch of wire will break into dozens of strands of PC board repair wire.

If any adjacent traces are shorted by the corrosion, you will need to separate them by scraping away the corrosion with an X-Acto knife and then making sure the traces are truly separated.

Be sure to look closely at both sides of the board in the area of the corrosion using a magnifying glass. Look underneath the chips to be sure there's no corrosion or stuff growing there. If so, use a slice of a business card or a plastic collar stay to push it out. Nine times out of ten, your corrosion control treatment will fix everything up just fine. If this works, you might spray the board with either clear acrylic enamel or cheap hair spray. Hair spray is diluted lacquer and will work in a pinch.

Good luck. Let me know if this worked for you. And always remember that your detector's shaft is a water pipe from your coil to your control box. Your coil may be waterproof but when you get it wet, the water goes up the pipe to your nice, shiny, green PC board.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20904.msg138825.html#msg138825

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:00:22 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:01:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I too Dought the IC's are bad or dead.

Do the Clean up.

You may want to check the POTs are working too.

They don't look as they got wet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20904.msg138866.html#msg138866

Offline ksightlerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:25:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys... I did what Golddigger recommended and cleaned the area around the IC's with 91% alcohol and noticed that on of the diodes were cracked. So I checked it and the others in the same are. Turns out that three of them were blown. After cleaning the IC's and replacing the diodes I gave the unit a test. Success... =) Two towfish dectectors work great and the third give a lower tone (a little different than the other two channels) but seemed to work as well.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20904.msg138911.html#msg138911

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is a high five moment if I ever saw one! Good work, mate! Well done!

Most likely the corrosion caused the diode failure. Corrosion can act as a dead short and cause serious problems but is very easily remedied by proper cleanup and repair. Did you seal the board with clear coat or hair spray? If not, the corrosion could come back again but much more quickly since the bare metal is now exposed. A light spray of either will do you great service.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20904.msg138955.html#msg138955

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:11:11 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cool Beans!  Happy it worked out for ya!

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20904.msg138972.html#msg138972
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/little_orange_guy_e0.gif

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: