[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gizmoTopic starter
Bronze Member

Tesoro Silver umax
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jetco mustang & tesoro silver umax
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Crazy what would be the easiest but most practical way to open up a jetoc serch coil to rewind for a new design without destoying it?  Idea

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12955.msg81881.html#msg81881

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:39:52 pm by GoldDigger1950 »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Use an LCR meter and measure the resistance, capacitance and inductance of the coil. Jetco coils are not something I have direct experience with so what I am about to say may not be true for Jetco.

Modern day coils are built to be neutrally buoyant in fresh water. That normally means they are filled with epoxy or resin poured in the coil. Trying to dig through that would spell disaster for such a coil. If you really want to see inside, have an X-Ray made and do the measurements I suggested.

The Jetco machine you have, based on what you have presented here, is not something you can turn into a Cadillac. It will remain an entry level machine no matter what you do to it. Just use it as it is to increase your gold, silver and coin count until you have enough to purchase a more versatile machine. Seriously. You cannot make the Jetco any better than it already is.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12955.msg81884.html#msg81884

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:41:13 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:31:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger  . The coils are not filled with epoxy to make them neutrally boyant in water . They are just enclosed in epoxy to insulate them against water . And .... most of the coils are use away from  water .  The once that are use for underwater searches are duly counter weighted . With regards  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12955.msg81903.html#msg81903

Offline bubby-joe
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter, garrett, rat shack,(retired)cen tech hand held, new tesoro sand shark and ACE250 for the wife
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had some experience with removing epoxy from circuit boards a while back when fixing satellite equipment, the best was a high heat hair dryer and a fine mechanical dental pick.  You need to go slow and be careful the closer you get to inside components but the heat managed to break it up into fairly large pieces without damaging the circuit boards or parts on it.  It was slow but worked well enough to add in mounts as part of a modification to the boards, no more soldering on the chips.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12955.msg81939.html#msg81939

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Golddigger  . The coils are not filled with epoxy to make them neutrally boyant in water . They are just enclosed in epoxy to insulate them against water . And .... most of the coils are use away from  water .  The once that are use for underwater searches are duly counter weighted . With regards  Cornelius

It's both, actually. Why do you insist on fighting, mate? I have no quarrel with you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12955.msg81957.html#msg81957

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: