[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline clifftopdiggerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:33:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok. A few of ou got me thinking after you said "don't buy second hand" "don't buy a broken machine etc"
So,you want a new machine? Does this mean you won't sell your old one,cuz you kind of shot yourselves in the foot there.
A few of us do the hobby on a tight budget,hoping that IF we find something of value,we can upgrade quicker. We need cheaper high end machines and this is how we get them.
Anyway......Heres an idea Idea Idea
You must be holding a few machines that have been faithfull? Hows about the manufacturers offer a recyclability scheme,where anything that is not re useable gets melted down and put back into the pot for new machines?
Theres your outlet for them machines you won't sell!
I have seen one or two threads about parts being possibly obsolete....Do they need to be with such a return facility?
The manufacturers can keep the customers happy by sending some of these old parts out(tested of course). Or repair with old parts inhouse.
The user can then be satisfied that he can safely upgrade when he can with a brand he stands by.
Manufacturer keeps yet another customer,or 3 and so on,if the machine gets split up into enough reusable parts.
Now i know some offer to send new parts out at cost to them to keep us wanting more.
There would be a small cost to break the said machines down,but that can be regained by reusing the metal that is left over,or plastics.
The manufacturer might even(depending on country and incentives on offer) see this as a way of reducing it's carbon footprint.(not sure if i put the last sentence across right).
Might i donate my broken one to someone i never heard from? I might,on the grounds that i actually knew it would be reused for parts to keep someone else sweet. Even if i am out of pocket and never got to use it!!!!
I welcome comments and input on this. Is it possible? Could it work?
I hope this is the right place for this,as it relates to repairs and ultimately,do it yourself If you can get the parts needed.
Hell,they could even charge a reasonable price for them obsolete parts!
Now come on,i know even some of you tackle tarts that can go out and afford the latest and best might have one or 2 projects on the go,and maybe stuck for parts. You might like a bit of this idea for yourselves, to finish your project or repair thats just gathering dust,waiting for that elusive part!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184739.html#msg184739

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:40:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cool thought but will never fly.

Like most all Recycle programs , they cost more to administer then they bring in.  Red Tape, Bureaucracy, Greed, Miss Management, Etc.

Just not Cost effective.

This is what I do.

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/empty-t17146.0.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184742.html#msg184742

Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:15:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Does my wire coat hanger count as a down-sizing rod?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184758.html#msg184758

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:22:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

It might if it meets the correct specs. Just an idea. But don't new parts if available cost more than it would cost if a small charge were made for the part,and post covered by the greteful reicipient?
Anyway.....against all advice......got the offer of a 2month old ace 250. fully working and with reciept. Would that qualify for a repair,if and when needed,irrespective of not being 1st owner? Is it the receipt thats the all important factor?
Quote:Posted by Viracocha
Does my wire coat hanger count as a down-sizing rod?
  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184760.html#msg184760

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

I garrentee Garrett will work on that one.

I have a Old ADS that they still will fix.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184762.html#msg184762

Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:25:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
I garrentee Garrett will work on that one.

I have a Old ADS that they still will fix.

Good Gaud Homefire.... your Old!
hahaha

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184763.html#msg184763

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Old is Good Some Times!  LOL!

I know things the folks today are not being tought.

LOL!

Posted on: June 30, 2011, 10:57:28 AM
As a Hobbyist, I have access to parts on a one or two basses.

Repair centers need larger lots to support what they say they can do.

The bone yard can use parts out of a transistor radio, A Detector with like circuits.

No Cost is incurred as a hobby because No Cost other then My or Your Time is in play.

Ok, I pay shipping on the DEAD for parts.  That's my thing.

I've made $700.00  detectors work because I had the weird part that no one could find.

I've substituted that weird part with some thing what was close enough to work.

You just can't do that on a large commercial bases.

There is no commercial out fit that's going to provide a service like that and make money.

Like I said , I do it for Fun.

Every Detector that I received from the Bone Yard has been Auctioned off with exception of the Bounty Hunter that BitBurgaggi sent me.

I fixed that one up and use it.  Could not find the Pot with Switch to put it back in factory configuration but could put a switch on it to make it do the job.

Yes it too will be placed on the Auction block soon.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184771.html#msg184771

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

bounty.JPG

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 12:19:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cracking Homefire. I wonder if my helping the customer to keep his machine going,he will not switch manufacturers when he wants a new one. No lost customer = no lost sale on the new machine and a happy customer that came back for more of a company he has faith in?
On another note......the said instructions came through,which matched pretty close to what i had figured. They were promised from weds onwards,and got an un needed apology for the delay.
The day just gets better and better. I had already agreed to buy the ace before i found my mail,due to being on the taxi run.
So,the mrs will get an extra birthday prezzy in a pretty yellow colour and i get a back up all rolled into one.   Happy dayz.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184799.html#msg184799

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A lot of us are believers in second hand machines (all but one of mine is second or third hand or more).....BUT those of us who are approach used machines the same way we approach used vehicles:
1)  You have to do your homework
2)  You should buy from a reliable/reputable source
3)  If at all possible, you need to carefully check the machine out (that means either buying locally or buying from someone with a proven return policy).  If you don't feel competent to check the machine out yourself, you need to have someone you trust check it out for you (just like you have a trusted mechanic check a used car)
4)  If at all possible you should take the machine for a test drive (gets you back to point 3).
5)  You need to know that all manufacturers have the occassional "lemon" AND just as in automobiles, computers, etc, the original manufacturers warranty generally does NOT transfer when the machine is sold.   However, most manufacturers will repair their products  (for a price) as long as they have access to parts.

With those guidelines in place, it really is possible to find good used machines.

As for the greater points you made, they are valid.   And a recycle program would be nice but is probably impractical for the reasons homefire laid out.   There are companies out there that specialize in repairing old detectors (several of them even have very good reputations).   The trouble is the repair cost is often close to what you would pay for a newer detector.

All that being said, things like Homefire's boneyard are a great alternative.   Not only does he get the fun of rebuilding the detector (or salvaging parts if it isn't repairable) but you either get the detector back OR it gets auctioned here to raise money for the website.   Other hobbyist might choose to donate the repaired detectors to a local youth or veterans' group.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184838.html#msg184838

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That boneyard sounds a good idea. As for getting my hmmhmm(you know what) fixed....maybe one day i could send it off to be looked at,as i just spent the repair money on a 2 month old ace.......oh yes,i tested it so well,and took my mate who has an ace for his knowledge of the machine.....Didn't even knock him down from the price he asked....It was a steal. Well pleased with it.........then came the email earlier after i told the bloke i was coming for the ace.
Minelab(thanks guys if u are reading this) sent the email i was waiting on,patiently cuz i knew it would be as soon as they had done the stock take. Think the x-terra will be talking to me by GMT morning. Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26297.msg184856.html#msg184856

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: