[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cascaTopic starter
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All, new user here. Picked up my first detector today, a bounty hunter 202. After being surprised at how much is under the ground, I had to take it apart. I then decided to do the same air test I did when it was all together. The sensitivity almost doubled. I noticed metal screws, clip, and a nut, all attached on a metal pole, holding the coils. Im going to replace the metal with a solid piece of pvc. Then run it through the same process I did yesterday. I will post the results. Any ideas of how to ad a non motion pinpoint capabilitys to this machine?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg128568.html#msg128568

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

casca there should be a 6 or 8 in non metal tube with a plastic bolt and nut between the coil and shaft. I suggest that you not make any changes. PCV pipe will also add weight and trust me even a few oz make a differences after a couple hours   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg128569.html#msg128569

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Seldom, the metal is minimal. There is an 8" piece of composite something. I can say it didnt appear to suffer much as it is. I didnt think about the weight. You right there, Ill have a popeye arm. Guess Ill spend that energy pdetecting. Im gonna build the pole and run over a few spots I cleared out at a later date to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the info.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg128570.html#msg128570

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:54:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The pole being 8 inches away won't affect the outcome but a nylon screw and nut (from a model hobby shop) will do wonders. The tone discriminate mode will change the motion settings for you. But you will have to use the computer between your headphones to figure out what is in the ground. I dig it all and am never, ever disappointed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg128680.html#msg128680

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the tip on the nylon screw. I really want to get the metal nut away from the coil. I went to a local park yeaterday, it gets alot of traffic. I couldn't get the notch mode to even get rid of the trash. I did find alot of sprinkler heads, and about 8" down was a black vapor shield. The targets I did lock on I couldnt find, so I made a mental note and going to go back with a pinpointer. The trash to coin ratio was 20 to 1. I have to be careful digging there, the ground is hard and I dont want to disturb the turf, I live in the desert so have to be gentle with grass. Back to the maps, I think that park isnt very old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg128756.html#msg128756

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

After reading several post about some detectors detecting thier own coil cord, or movement by the coil due to poor fitting poles. I decided to use two pieces of electrical tape and stop the wiggle of the cpoil when searching. I did not want to straighten out coil cord, but did pull up slack and tape it also. Before I had trouble picking up a gold ring. I also took it to the back yard which I have detected before. It does appear to have helped. I was picking up small pieces of iron, and the gold ring was being detected at 7 inches as it lay on the ground.

I really have come to like the Bounty Hunter 202 as I search for coins. I keep trying to mess it up and trick it, its getting harder to do so. The controls are simple and I like simple. It finds coins and Im still waiting for that ring. I want to find one ring a month.

Im excited about gold machines, and how sensitive they are. But that scares me also, this bounty hunter gets overloaded signals at times.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg130620.html#msg130620

Offline chopz54
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoros,Lasers,Redheat,Minelab,C-Scope.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Is the 202 a motion machine?
If it is, I would have thought that as the bolt is moving with the coil it would not be detected. A lot of motion machines employ a metal bolt for this very reason.
If its a non-motion machine try tapeing a bolt to the coil and see what happens!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg133109.html#msg133109

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you very much for the info on the bolt moving with the machine. The BH 202 is a motion machine. It would explain why a 1/4 inch piece of tinfoil 10" down will set it off, but the bolt doesn't. I found black electrical tape that did wonders to fix the wiggles. I also taped the bolt with it and the detector was unable to detect it. I have improved the air test, and getting more accurate readings on the screen. I purchased a set of Koss headphones with volume control and found the detector to be even more sensitive while using it. Unfortunately I ignore most target reading 10" or deeper, the machine is usually overloaded with a signal from a pull tab. I do a lot of open desert, so running it wide open, when i get a signal, I dig it. It doesnt have a pinpointer, and in sand or mulch, the cen-tech pinpointer from harbor freight does well, and has a light built in. I am currently assembling three detectors. My next one is a vlf no motion for the desert. I then want a tesero or maybe a minelab for nugget hunting. Its easier to buy a coil, I know. But I want the right machine for the job. As a coin shooter, the BH 202 is good enough for me. The BH 202 loves silver and copper, I have yet to find anything gold....yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg133110.html#msg133110

Offline chopz54
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoros,Lasers,Redheat,Minelab,C-Scope.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:05:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had a BH Fast Tracker last year (which I've since sold on) and I was very impressed with the discrimination.
The reason your getting the foil and not the bolt is because the disc- is knocking it out. Lots of detectors have a "foil" on the disc- but knocking out foil is a bit more tricky than iron/steel.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19601.msg133111.html#msg133111

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: