[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by clifftopdigger
Oh dear. I think i see where this is heading. Fight

cliff
just because when GD tried to help you it did not turn out the way you wanted does not mean everytime he/we help folks it leads to an arugment. In fact most times people are very happy for the help they get here. Your problem was your attitude you buy a used detector and feel the company should bend over backwards to make you happy trust me your not that important to them GD got your foot in the door your the one that dropped the ball not him. But your importance want let you see that. I only oked this post so I could answer it but this the last of your negative post that will get thought. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184410.html#msg184410

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline clifftopdigger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Smoldrn.
               What they did was give you the whole picture. Worst case scenario i would think. They held nothing back  so that you are well imformed and don't want to make any false promises. I dare say that they would be able to fix it,but they just have to let you make an informed choice. I bet as well as the discount,they would return the xs to you. Sometimes it's not the user,or the manufacturers fault and this would be a goodwill gesture to attempt to keep you happy.
If you bite the bullet and send it off,you may be pleasantly surprised and it may come back to you.
I have just been in touch with them about another problem,and they volunteered the part i would have needed,if i hadn't already got one. I could have gratefully accepted it,but as they are honest enough to offer it,i'm honest enough to say i have one.
Yes. Some won't understand your frustration,but i do,and i bet they will,and be sympathetic towards your plight and try everything they can do to get you back to swinging.
Give them a chance. They want to see you come back,so,won't try to force you to upgrade before you want to,in the sense that they will actually try to fix it.
Hope this helps and cools you down a bit.
All the best.
                 Cliff.
ps seldom. There was no malice meant with that comment.....it was a lame attempt at humour. Sorry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184411.html#msg184411

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:36:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Who did you talk too?  Did you try to talk to someone higher up the chain?

I too would be upset if I had a machine that there saying could possibly be unrepairable there station.

Some parts in it my not be available any more.  It is more then 10 years old.   Like a Lap Top Computer, there top of the line one day and Extinct in three years.

There are other options.

No need to get Ugly with the manufacturer.

That's the way things are some times.

If you don't want to take a chance on cutting edge tech.  Don't go there.

Just my Two Cents!

***********  There was NO mention of this being a Second Hand Detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184416.html#msg184416

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:41:44 am by homefire »
Offline smoldrnTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 03:53:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No, it's cool. I picked up in his voice that he's figuring on telling me there's nothing they can do. Before he even looks at it, he's trying to blow me off. We'll see. Hopefully they'll remember what customer service is all about. It's not like I'm putting in for a warranty claim or anything. I plan on giving them the benefit of the doubt, guess I was just venting a little bit earlier.

Take a deep breath, chant 'the sky is blue, the grass is green' Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184488.html#msg184488

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by smoldrn
I just got off the phone with ML. They said the same thing they told me before. Send it in, we have very limited parts for it, if it can't be repaired, we'll send you a coupon for 15% off a new Minelab product. Told the guy that if you cant fix it, the 15% coupon could be used to wipe a portion of his anatomy' An $1100. machine that was basically used for 1 year may not be able to be repaired?

'Splained to him that if not repairable, there would never be a Minelab product in my home again.

That's a really sad commentary. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Did you ask about reflashing the unit? I have had great success with more than a dozen Minelabs for which they sent me the reflash utility. I'm not an authorized Minelab repairman either, just an engineer willing to help their customers.

There's even a member here for whom I acquired a new processor at no cost to him except postage. In actual fact, he now has a spare because they sent me two of them. Keep trying via e-mail to their corporate headquarters in South Australia. Don't give up on a fine machine like that and don't let a muted member with sour grapes in his mouth change your decision to seek help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184541.html#msg184541

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
That's a really sad commentary. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Did you ask about reflashing the unit? I have had great success with more than a dozen Minelabs for which they sent me the reflash utility. I'm not an authorized Minelab repairman either, just an engineer willing to help their customers.

There's even a member here for whom I acquired a new processor at no cost to him except postage. In actual fact, he now has a spare because they sent me two of them. Keep trying via e-mail to their corporate headquarters in South Australia. Don't give up on a fine machine like that and don't let a muted member with sour grapes in his mouth change your decision to seek help.

I tried to get ahold of ML today, but just got an answering machine. Will try again tomorrow. When you refer to reflashing with a USB, I don't see a port anywhere on the detector that would accept a cable. Is this maybe only for the newer units?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184643.html#msg184643

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 02:50:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by smoldrn
I tried to get ahold of ML today, but just got an answering machine. Will try again tomorrow. When you refer to reflashing with a USB, I don't see a port anywhere on the detector that would accept a cable. Is this maybe only for the newer units?

I'm afraid so, mate. If there's no port available, the reflashing may have to be done at the board level. What a pity that the repair cost is so high.

There is some hope. You said the machine was in the closet for years. Did it happen to have a set of leaky batteries in it? Have you had a look inside to see if there is any corrosion anywhere?

Posted on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:43 PM
Also, what is the full model number for your machine? I want to look at their user's manual.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184647.html#msg184647

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 08:50:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I'm afraid so, mate. If there's no port available, the reflashing may have to be done at the board level. What a pity that the repair cost is so high.

There is some hope. You said the machine was in the closet for years. Did it happen to have a set of leaky batteries in it? Have you had a look inside to see if there is any corrosion anywhere?

Posted on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:43 PM
Also, what is the full model number for your machine? I want to look at their user's manual.

The battery pack had not appeared to be leaking. I've separated the handle, the battery contacts look good, there is battery voltage showing where the wires are attached to the board. I can't find anything to help in the troubleshooting section of the manual. The only identification that I can find regarding the model # is Explorer XS.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184703.html#msg184703

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 09:25:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just tell you how.

Please Register or Login

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4097/4901-0033-1.3%20Inst%20Manual%20Website%20Explorer%20S,%20XS.pdf

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184706.html#msg184706

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I saw nothing to help us in the manual. Is the unit clearly out of warranty? You should contact Minelab and provide them with the serial number to be absolutely sure. If it is, perhaps you might consider opening your unit to have a look for damage to the PC board from mold and mildew. That can happen if the unit has set for a long time after being damp from rain or humidity.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26237.msg184716.html#msg184716

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: