[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:22:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi everyone,  I have been anyway for a while due to work and other issues but I will be getting the internet back at my house desk tonight hopefully.  Over the last month, I have had a problem with my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505.  It is my preferred detector but it looks like I will be using my secondary unit until I get this straight or upgrade my machines.

It looks like it's discrimination is stuck at the max??  I seem to be getting most of my silver and copper targets but might only register a lower ID'ed target only once every ten minutes or so.  Also, I have lost a lot of depth.  If it does pick up a nickel( for example) it will lose it after a swipe or two and not react to it at all afterwards.

Maybe it is stuck on some type of mode that I could reset it from?? I guess that I will have to look into making sure that none of the buttons are stuck shorted on the front panel.

I tried to fool with the three pots to no avail and made sure to put them back where they were.  I then took a fluke scope meter and studied the two coil's waveforms while setting the unit off with coins in the air.  I really can't see much with the scope meter unless I use a large piece of metal.  I was wondering if I needed to compare the two?  Maybe look at phases?

I will not be giving up very easily and will surely start studying some of the theories involved to try to figure things out.  I would appreciate any thoughts on this problem.  I have just found one of the best looking hunting spots that I have ever seen and really want to get this fixed.

Hopefully I will be able to log on at the house tonight to take a look at any suggestions that anyone may have.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26975.msg190583.html#msg190583

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't monkey with the pots!

Try some fresh alki Batteries.

Mine does that when the batteries are low.

Forget the Depth reading.  Never were right.

How does it work in all metal or Pin Point?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26975.msg190587.html#msg190587

Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:45:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thx for the reply homefire, I am only getting to my work computer now and wish that I could have replied last night.  The 505 does not work on all metal.  I never use it and I decided to check it out one day to only find it not working a few months ago.   

There are a couple of things that I will be doing with it next.  First, I will have to brush up on the user guide to see if there is any settings that might be inhibiting me here.  Perhaps water damage could have screwed up the panel push buttons.  I have not been pampering the detector like I should have been and it is starting to look ragged.  Although I have gotten more than a few hundred hours of use out of it in a relatively short time., it still looks a little more beat up than it should at this point. 

After work yesterday I mocked my MPX up on my home bench and monitored both coil pairs with a scope meter.  This essentially told me that the MPX uses a form of modulated signal that could be compared to the receive coil in many ways.  The pioneer did not have the same level of signal that the MPX does even though it was sending it's tx coil twice the voltage that the mpx was.  The MPX's receive pair looked much different as well.

I don't think that it will be too helpful for me to try to get into the details of what I was thinking because I can see me changing my opinion a few times after I learn more about what I was looking at.  As of now, I am lacking in theory and what not.  Hopefully I can get into things well enough to undo any misalignments that I may have caused with the pots.

I am hoping to find something with the front panel.  If it is just stuck in some mode or another then I feel my chances are pretty good for success.  If this is something more difficult then I can see myself learning a lot from working with it at home on my spare time.  I doubt that I will give up for a very long time.  This is al very interesting to me even though it is aggravating to lose my favorite unit.  Maybe I will get lucky and everything will work out.  I don't have any misconceptions about my odds of success here.  I can see myself using my MPX until I can get a better detector.  I wanted an upgrade anyway, maybe this will get the ball rolling on that a little sooner? 

Maybe someone will have a tip or two about the 505 that will help?  I am all ears and optimism.

Posted on: August 11, 2011, 09:24:22 AM
Quote:Posted by homefire
Don't monkey with the pots!

Try some fresh alki Batteries.

Mine does that when the batteries are low.

Forget the Depth reading.  Never were right.

How does it work in all metal or Pin Point?

Also, you have reminded me about some regulators that I acquired to replace the batteries.  Since this problem has been going on thru a few sets of batteries, I don't think that it would help but perhaps I can look into the unit's power supply to see if it seems to be working properly.  The unit takes two 9V batts that are connected in series.  I will have to map out the board a little better to further understand how it uses the power source though.  I have two ten volt regulators that I might wire up in series so that I will be able to use a better power source that I will not have to worry about replacing so often.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26975.msg190712.html#msg190712

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: