[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline thepestTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:33:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy all...
  I have a Whites 4000/D Series 3 detector... it's near pristeen... and turns on fine... but no matter what coil i put on it... i get no response... it's a 6.59 khz. machine....
    i also have a 5000/D G.E.B. and a Clasic II SL.... i can swap the coils from all 3 detectors between these two.... so i'm 99.9 % sure i don't have a coil issue....
   carl from geotech said to wet my fingertip and rub the plug socket....if i got no response...check the conections in the box....  after i did this.... and found the conections pristeen.... he suggested it was a bad cap... but had no direction to point me in....
   i see other model whites detectors come up for sale with the same issue..... recently a 6000/d G.E.B. and a 5900/DI..... they always get snatched up for top dollar.... my gut tells me that the older whites detectors from this time frame can have this issue.... and if it is a cap.... it's gotta be the same one goin bad on all these machines.... i just want to know which one it is... so i can fix the lil guy....  i really don't want to send it to whites and spend 300.00 to fix a 75.00 detector...
    if it's just a dumb ole cap i can fix it myself.... but maby it isin't a cap...so if anyone could help me.... i'd greatly appreciate any assistance.... it would be a neat lil detector to use.....   Detecting
           thanking you in advance
               anthony the pest

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18185.msg117663.html#msg117663

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:08:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
Your best bet is to contact whites support and email them with the issue.
They may very well know eaxactly what the problem is.
They are very helpful people.
Worth a shot?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18185.msg117685.html#msg117685

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:12:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Without knowing your technical expertise or level of skill, Paul's suggestion is best. White's has a great service department and they're fast. Reasonable, too, regarding cost.

One thing you might check visually first is for bulging electrolytic capacitors. Because we often store our detector in a garage or other very hot space, they can self destruct from the heat. Electrolytic capacitors are made from aluminum foil rolled tightly and separated by a wax and plastic dielectric which can melt and deform from high temperatures. It's the most common failure in capacitors.

Examine your machine's electronic printed circuit boards for failures like in the attached image. Capacitor labeled "1" is normal. Notice its nice, smooth top. Capacitors "2," "3," and "4" are all bad having bulging tops. Sometimes the capacitor will deform at the side instead so look for barrel shaped capacitors which should have nice smooth, straight vertical sides. Capacitor number "2" has a very slight bulge in the side as well as the top. This ONLY applies to electrolytic capacitors.

This photo is from a switch-mode computer power supply which always runs hot. The heat accelerated the failure of the capacitors.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18185.msg117792.html#msg117792

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

BulgingCaps.jpg

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:16:50 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline autotune
Pull Tab

Intellectual Honesty Is Golden
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites: GMT & 6000 Di Pro Minelab GPExtreme
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:21:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Do you have any test equipment?
You really need to be able to probe the connection to see what you have...and then go back from there. 

If you have soldering skills replace the electrolytics they're cheap.  Also look at the back of the board.  You may have a cold solder joint.  Heat up a soldering iron and touch all the pads on the back and re-tin them with solder.

If the machine is clean then I bet it is a dried cap or a cold joint.  If no success contact me

Autotune

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18185.msg121697.html#msg121697

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: