[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:03:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just goes to show. Gold is where you find it!!! 

Nice find that shows Patience pays off. you had two things going against you. The pole and the foil/iron signal. How many impatient detectorist would have passed that one up waiting for a silver coin signal? After about a year of listening for the coin signal and recovering mostly clad coins I finally, out of boredom, heeded the first advice given. "dig everything". Came up with a gold Honor Society pin and a Longshoresman's coat button first week. As I recall, both were foil signals. Of course I don't dig everything. If its as big as a can and sounds like a can I leave it alone and If I'm in a pull tab rich area I leave them alone but otherwise I've learned a small scrap of aluminum and a gold ring may give the same signal. Keep it up and may the glint of gold glaze your eyes soon. gambol

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27503.msg196803.html#msg196803

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:39:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats mate, that was some find of gold and that hole just kept giving & giving!

Excellent and enjoyed your thread... Great

Jim

Quote:Posted by n3umw
I'm having a hard time finding older sites to hunt in my area. So I went to a "tot lot" last weekend.

This area dates back to the turn of the century, but I doubt if the tot lot is not more than 15 years old.

Like always, I started hunting around the swings. Over the next 30 minutes, I found some trash and some clad.

At the base of a playground structure, I hit a jumpy low foil signal next to the support pole of a ladder.

I'm not sure I would have dug it if it was under dirt, but tanbark is easy.

Digging into the wood chips, I found a gold bracelet four inches down covered in dirt.

While pulling the bracelet from the hole, I found a thin gold chain tangled in the bracelet.

At the end of the gold chain was a locket and I could see more in the hole!

Digging down, I saw two more bracelets!

Now I was feeling paranoid. Looking around, I could not see anyone nearby watching me and I removed the other two bracelets.

I hid all of the jewelry in my pouch and searched the hole for more but it was finally empty.

Eager to see exactly what I had found, I nonchalantly walked over to a water fountain.

Looking around to make sure that no one was watching me, I cupped the jewelry to hide it from view and starting washing dirt from my finds.

The thin gold chain was slightly tarnished but the locket was gorgeous. The hinge pin had rusted out so the locket fell apart revealing an old photo of a young woman. The photo was starting to deteriorate but the person was almost recognizable. Who is this woman, is she still alive, does she live in this neighborhood I wondered?

The thin gold bracelet had plastic "stones" set in it and the plating was starting to peel.

Two of the bracelets were heavy gold and looked as good as the day they were buried.

I tried to continue to metal detect, but was too excited to concentrate and finally gave up and went home.

At home, further washing and the use of an eye loupe revealed no markings on the locket except for three elegantly engraved initials scrolling across the face of the locket. Judging from the photo and engraving on the locket, I guess it's about 50 years old.

Each of the heavier bracelets was stamped 14k.

Knowing that 14k is the mid-priced quality level, I figured they were not worth all that much but was still excited by my finds.

Even though the bracelets are heavy, my detector reads them as low foil (almost iron).

A few months later I saw an article that mentioned you can get 95% of the current gold value and told how to weigh your jewelry to determine it's worth.

The 14k bracelets weighted in at 6.2 and 8.5 DWT or pennyweight. As 14k is 58.5% gold, this is almost half an ounce of pure gold by weight.  

The current price of gold is over $1800 an ounce, so these two bracelets alone are worth $800!

This one hole paid for my detector...

So where did this cache come from?
A kid playing with his Mom's old throw-aways at the tot lot?
Teenagers burying stuff after breaking into a house?
I'll always wonder...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27503.msg198255.html#msg198255

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:50:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I try to live right. Really I do! So what am I doing wrong? LOL  Grin Nice finds of gold. I need one or two like that.  Grin Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27503.msg198260.html#msg198260

WB4RAV

Offline n3umwTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

395.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT, MineLab X-Terra70, Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right, dig everything. This weekend I almost ignored a "penny" and found the neatest little copper heart pendant.

Also test your machine on everything and see what the readings are. A heavy gold bracelet reads much lower than I would have imagined after testing gold rings.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27503.msg198284.html#msg198284

Whites XLT, MineLab X-Terra70, Garrett Ace 250, Treasurewise digger, Garrett Pro Pointer

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"Also test your machine on everything and see what the readings are. A heavy gold bracelet reads much lower than I would have imagined after testing gold rings."

I learned this the hard way. I was looking for targets that gave a coin indication for a long time and guess what? All I found were coins. After I carried the wife's gold jewelry out to the test garden I found out the Garrett 250 indicated from foil to Pull tab for most of it.  After that I started digging steady signals in that range. Pull tabs of course are the exception. I only dig strong solid pull tab signals if I've run out of targets to dig or if I am in "old" dirt not contaminated with lots of aluminum. Today I was digging on a railroad track bed abandoned in 1945. I found lots of iron some brass but only one pull tab.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27503.msg201195.html#msg201195

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 10:23:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats very true Gambo1,

Great advice about testing ones detector on various test items to learn the tone and signal they give on those items were after.

Thanks & good to be back,  Great
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27503.msg201212.html#msg201212

Best Regards,
Jim

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: