[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Iam1withalTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

don't own one yet
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:28:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all, I love seeing the pieces/treasures that others have found, thanks to all who share. I have always wanted to do metal detecting. Now that I have some time, I would love to get a detector. I am not sure what would be a good first time metal detector to purchase. Any suggestions?  I also have a couple of questions.  Is there a difference in detecting if you are in a dry area versus a wet area?  Can detectors detect leaded glass?
Thanks for your time and knowledge,
Diana

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22025.html#msg22025

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Gold is where it's left behind.
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:35:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Welcome. You can pay from 30$ to thousands for a detector. There are general purpose machines suited for several types of detecting and specialized machines designed for a specific type of searching. If you already know what type of search you will be doing than that could help determine the kind of machine.
The easiest to start out at is coin recovery, which can be tried most anyplace. Even a very inexpensive machine will do a pretty good job at finding coins. Most advise though to buy the best machine you can afford right off. That way you will most likely have a good chance at positive results and you will be able to grow into your machine as you gain experience. A hundred hours is a good start to become proficient. The more expensive machines are usually of better quality over all and search at greater depths. Also, they may have features to ID the target, deal with bad ground conditions and reject unwanted items. Many that have advance machines still dig all signals anyway, but can do so with a bit of insight on what is in the ground. This is the 'If it beeps dig it' truism. If your forte is gold detecting then a more specialize machine is needed at a much higher cost.
Here are a few questions to consider:
land use
water, diving
coins
gold
beach
low cost
simple controls, turn on and go
light weight
poor vision, use sound ID instead
cache hunting
I want it all

There are many types and brands, so just give some hint or clue on your intended use and many here can give their advice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22029.html#msg22029

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard  best bet an ace250 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22031.html#msg22031

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:28:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear Diana,

welcome to our website and hope you will enjoy this great new hobby! What is your budget for the detector? A good machine to start with would be the Garrett Ace 250 or a machine by Tesoro. You can also buy them 2nd hand on eBay.com

Basically wet soil will allow your machine to get even deeper unless it is heavy mineralized soil like e.g. a wet beach.

You should be able to detect leaded glass depending on the lead concentration in it.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22036.html#msg22036

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Diana and welcome to the forum.  I see you've already gotten some answers to your questions and that's one of the great things about this forum we all love to share our experiences and finds and are always willing to assist with answering questions.

I must agree with Outback and Christian on the Garrett Ace 250.  I have recommend these detectors to many starting out in the hobby because they are a great little all around detector that is very lightwieght and easy to use.  They seem to perform well and run on only 4 batteries and offers some of the higher end features at a lower end price.  I usually suggest to people getting into the hobby that if they are not sure how well they may like or dislike the hobby the Ace 250 is the way to go.  You don't have alot of initial cost into it as you can pick up one for about 200.00 or so.  Often times I tell encourage them to try to find enough to pay for itself and by that point your proficient with it and know if you're sticking with it.  Some people like the hobby and others wind up letting the detector collect dust.  I often tell them that after using the Ace for awhile if they would like to upgrade to something else then by all means go for it and keep the Ace as a backup as they are quite handy.  Some have chosen just to stick with the Ace as it has done very well for them.  We have quite a number of users on the forum that run the Ace 250. 

In my opinion Christians statement on the moisture and soil conditions was spot on. 

Ultimately wether it be now or at a later point you will need to ask yourself the questions that oRo brought up as far as type of hunting and so on as these answers can affect what you choose to purchase for performance.  In the end the only one who can make the final decision is yourself but there are many of us here that are more than willing to help with any questions that you may have along the way either before during, and after your purchase. 

Also if possible it is nice to find a local dealer in your area who can help you make the choice of detector as they will be familiar with the hunting conditions in your area and maybe even be able to give some hands on training or tips to help get you started. 

Again...Welcome to the forum and good luck.  Hope you enjoy this great hobby as much as we do and I look forward to hearing of your adventures as well as seeing some of your finds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22061.html#msg22061

Stringfrenzy

Offline Simpson
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

France

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP Goldmaxx
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:45:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bonjour Diana!

Welcome from France. I hoep you will very much like this very good hobby!

Regards,

Alain

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22067.html#msg22067

Offline draaiorgel
Bronze Member

a pint or two
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Scotland

830.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F70 & GA 250
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Diana, Shake Hand
Welcome to our forum and the world of Metal detecting. (MD'n) Detecting
Eileen and myself both use Ace 250s,  Fight
we've had them just over 2 years and don't see any reason
for us to upgrade.  Great Great
They're light, simple to operate, cheap to buy & run.  Great Great

The only down side is they're not great on wet salt sand for a newbie,
but once you've got experience many can use them for this purpose.

Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider Rider
Overall a great wee machine for the money. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22081.html#msg22081

With friendly greetings, Ian and Eileen

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:37:01 am by draaiorgel »
Offline Iam1withalTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

don't own one yet
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and all the replies.  Sounds like the Garret Ace 250 is the one I will look to purchase.  I will also look into buying local since they may give me some hands on training as suggested. I'm getting into this for the fun of the hunt and not so much for the gold, but don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic to find gold!  Love that the sight has an international flavor also! Bonjour Alain, best regards from Oregon!  Will have to look around the sight for ancient findings from other countries.
Thanks again everyone, will update when I do a hunt and find some treasure! Detecting
Diana

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22485.html#msg22485

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:57:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Diana!

You are most welcome! I am sure you will make some nice finds once you got the Ace 250. Please keep us posted about hunts and findings!

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22487.html#msg22487

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Gold is where it's left behind.
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Iam1withal
I'm getting into this for the fun of the hunt and not so much for the gold, but don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic to find gold! Diana

Plentiful of gold in Oregon, from the beaches to the mountains, gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.msg22496.html#msg22496

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.