[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline S.WaldronTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

I,m a newbie and headed to New Mexico in March to try my hand at some recreational panning.  Although i have no experience at panning for gold, i am a seasoned outdoorsman who has back packed down the Allegheny Trail and done alot of "primitive" camping.  I'm accoustomed to spending weeks alone in a wilderness area with no trouble surviving.   However.   New Mexico looks to be pretty rugged, and panning for gold appears to me to be more of an artform than a science.

So what i'd like to do is partner up with an experienced, successful panner in New Mexico who wouldn't mind the company and showing a new guy the ins and outs of prospecting.  I have funds and my own equipement and can help with expenses.  Anyone interested ?  Reply here and lets talk about it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg147764.html#msg147764

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:20:03 pm by homefire »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico!

What parts of New Mexico are you thinking about?

We have a fair number of members in the State.

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg147767.html#msg147767
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/gold.jpg

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homie thats some good looking yellow there !!
what's that little stash worth? $$$

Posted on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:12 PM
Greetings From The Geographical Center of Tennessee And Welcome to Thunting.com
{alt}
Detecting  Waveing  Detecting  Waveing  Detecting  Waveing  Detecting  Waveing  Detecting 

S.Waldron welcome , Homefire is a good one for the info u seek, i just MD , Wish ya Lot's of Luck !!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg147772.html#msg147772
http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_05627627UNW_no_title.jpg

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:05:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL! Current Prices, about $2.00! 

But finding it was worth a whole lot more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg147865.html#msg147865

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

S Waldron ,  Welcome to Thunting fromLondon Via Australia and it looks like you're already off to a flying start on the treasure
front WTG

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg147873.html#msg147873

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

S. Waldron, welcome from Arizona.   One bit of advice---even in March, take more water than you think you'll need.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg147991.html#msg147991

Offline paul
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Contact Demming Gem and Mineral Society there are several members that pan for gold. Also there will be a large rock show in Demming March 9 - 12, and there will be demonstrations there. More info at dgms.bravehost.com.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg148098.html#msg148098

Offline bradalaska
Pull Tab

Alaskan Prospector
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:48:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Gold Country, the interior of Alaska. FAIRBANKS.

You are headed to some great Gold Country too, and probably don't have 3' of snow until May.
I'm envious. It's not about the having, it's about the finding, that's the fun.

Get a gold pan, and some small lead shot, smash them and cut it up into all differnt sizes and practice practice practice.

Wish I had stayed with this when I first stated over 50 years ago.
Didn't get sparked again until 3 years ago & now I have the most enthusastic partner you could imagine, my wife. She has the fever worse than I do.

Can't wait until the snow is gone so that I can dig for that yellow gold.
8 months is tooooo long to wait between seasons.

Fortunately I was able to go to the San Gabriels and the East fork to do a little prospecting in January. Found some color, wished I could have stayed more than a couple of hours.

Good hunting to you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg148581.html#msg148581

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome S. Waldron from Utah! Sounds like a fun trip out there.. Have fund and show us your finds (post in today's finds) when you get something.

I heard from a friend that in a stream bed you look for the black sand area - and that's most likely where the gold is going to be in the black sand part. Any truth to that?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg148586.html#msg148586

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline bradalaska
Pull Tab

Alaskan Prospector
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 02:18:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's a little more complicated than that. Look behind big rocks, sunken logs anything that acts like a riffle and will concentrate the heavies. Black sand is a heavy sediment. But rarely will you see that collection in the stream. You will have to dig down a ways and pan off the lighter materials (yes big rocks are lighter material).

The heavies get concentrated in your pan and typically you will start to see the black sand. In the sand and under it is where the Gold will be.

If you are a beginner and you can't find the gold in the black sand DO NOT THROW THE BLACK SAND AWAY. Save it in a bucket until someone can show you how to pan the heavy black sand.

When I taught my wife I had a second tub for her, I had her dump all her fine black sand in it after she picked out the visible chunky gold. Later I would pan the concentrated sand for her and she would have more gold from it than she had from all the pickers and chunkers she would pick out. Now my job hasn't changed, she still picks out the pickers and I still pan out the fine gold ( i have several process and tools for that) and she still gets it all.

I will post soon a few great sites for panning for you and also my favorite black sand cleanup tool of all, because it's highly effective and costs less that $20 to build and will get all the gold for you, nuggets, pickers, flecks and specs.  
If we don't connect again do a google search for "poopsluice", better yet check out this forum first. My blue bowl and hours of panning concentrates don't even compare to the poopsluice

Posted on: February 25, 2011, 01:44:25 PM
Lots of info on poop sluice or gutter sluice. I actually do a combo of both.

I actually use this setup for 2 purposes:
1 to cleanup my concentrates, before the final cleanup.
2. As a primary sluicebox when I decide to collect the material and bring it home with me.

In fact this weekend we are having a blizzard and can't go anywhere so I'm going to process some dirt I've collected and stored since September, that's how we prospect in the winter In Alaska.

Take a 10 foot section of basic plastic gutter and a 10' section of 4" corrugated plastic sewer pipe. Split pipe in half and then cut it into 2 4' sections. Get a 1x4x10' board as a support back board. Stating from the bottom of the gutter lay in the 4' of pipe, next put in an overlapping piece of ribbed batting about 15" long (cut to fit inside the gutter). Next put in the next 4' pipe overlapping the lower ribbed piece, and then repeat at the top the ribbed matting. Use those small bungee cords to wrap around the board hooking it onto the ribbed matting and corrugated pipe that's in the gutter with a 1x4 under the gutter this makes for a great stiff sluice. I support mine using 2 4' folding step ladders . At the top is where you pour your material in. Hook up a water supply to the upper part at the beginning of the sluice. I also use the Gutter cap to suspend a hose or water valve/spray (get creative) at the top of the setup, put the sluice at an angle of your choice based on practice, mine is usually a 2' drop in 10 feet and start running concentrates. (or raw dirt, usually screened to 1/4 inch, it will handle 1/2 material too)

When the lawn or garden needs watering I will let the water runoff on to them.
When nothing needs watering I use a collection tub with a pump to recirculate the water. Get a big enough tub to sit a 5 gallon bucket in and be sure the sluice is dumping the material into it and the water overflows into the tub. Easier to dispose of buildup this way.

After running as many as 10 5 gallon buckets I'll do a cleanup. It's beautiful to let the clear water run a while and see the gold pop up. Oh yes, about every 2 buckets I'll let the water run and lightly shake and vibrate the whole sluice, further concentrating the heavies. Look for pickers and nuggets in the top. I have rarely ever had any spec's even make it past the 5 feet, but if it did I will get it all using a 10ft poopsluice gutter combo.

This is when panning is it's funnest, when you pan out the remaining concentrates. Pan into a safety tub because you want to save all the black sand for another processing in a blue bowl or poopsluice with only small ribbed matting.

This is the best cleanup tool I've used, without spending big bucks on this hobby. If I had a $400+ spiral bowl I wouldn't depend on this sluice alone. But that's for another purchase later.

If the guys from Oregon on that Alaskan Gold used a poopsluice for cleanup instead of panning I'm sure they would have doubled their gold. I'd love to have the dirt they panned to process it one more time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21557.msg148616.html#msg148616

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:27:34 pm by bradalaska »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.