[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline tat2edTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 pro
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Need some ideas/thoughts about cleaning the clad coins. I just got back into the metal detecting the past month or so. Anyone have a way to clean the clad coins? I know there are ultrasonic units and also tumblers that all say do the job. I have dug up in the area of 200 clad coins in a months time and they are all just nasty dirty. I would assume banks have something they use to clean coins and know if take them to the bank they would have to take them as are suppose to be legal tender. Kind of want to get a ice cream bucket before I cash them in.

I am in northeastern South Dakota and would like to find a hunting partner.

Anyone here that knows the Gardner North Dakota area? I have a lead and a map where there was a bunch of old railroad watches buried back in the 20`s-30`s. The party that provided the map worked for a watch maker and over the years he would take railroad watches and told me he figured 20-30 pounds of them. Lots of people collect the railroad items and depending on what they were buried in should be worth a bunch.

Rich

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18038.msg116365.html#msg116365

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:13:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

tat2ed, welcome to THunting.com.......since their clad and not silver/collectible, cleaning them isn't a problem.   If you use the search function at the top right of the page, you'll find several previous posts on cleaning coins.   Most people use rock tumblers.   If you are willing to do a few at a time, any housewife will tell you leaving them in your pants pockets when you do the laundry works like a charm.

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18038.msg116395.html#msg116395

Offline tat2edTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 pro
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I kind of figured the tumblers would be better for the clad coins. Would think the ultrasonic cleaners would work good for silver and jewelry.

Do you hunt for gold nuggets down there? I am in NE South Dakota and saw on news last week a couple of guys found a nugget over 5 ounces out in the Black Hills. Have always had an interest in panning,sluice  boxes anything to do with hunting for gold. To bad I live clear over in the eastern part of the state as would like to learn all the gold stuff.

Rich

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18038.msg116410.html#msg116410

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:20:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rich, there is no reason why an ultrasonic cleaner won't work if you already have one laying around.    As for the nuggets, I live between the Vulture mine and the area of the Lost Dutchman, so yeah....there are nuggets to be found around here, but except in certain places or at certain times of the year you can't pan for them.  Dry washing and/or metal detecting will do the trick, but unless you're talking a large size nugget, your general purpose detector isn't much help.   But it does turn up some nice relics in th same areas as well as the occassional coin that is worth hanging on to.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18038.msg116416.html#msg116416

Offline Tennessee Treasure Hunter
Silver Member

just go out, dig it all and have fun!!
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

870.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:29:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

welcome from Tennessee Detecting   
TTH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18038.msg116477.html#msg116477

{alt}

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As has been mentioned, tumbling works great for clad coins. Do not put pennies in with the nickel clad coins or it will turn them red. Pennies should be done separately from the halves, quarters, dimes and nickels.

Ultrasonic cleaners are good but not very effective. They get loose, crumbly dirt off but do nothing for deep dirt in crevices in the coin etching. For that you need low current electrolysis. There are plans here and discussions on that topic.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18038.msg116591.html#msg116591

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.