[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline coloma goldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France
Referrals: 0

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:57:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Recently retired to France from Calif. It is my understanding the french laws pertaining to metal detecting are very restrictive however, may there may be an exception for beaches and shorelines. Rather than run the risk of violating the law, I want to know if anyone has a copy of the specific laws pertaining to MD'ing or TH'ing in France (either in french or english). I will continue to try to locate it also but thought that there may be a chance someone knows where I can find this info. I would like to upgrade my MD but do not want to do it until I determine if I can use a new one here.... thanks, all.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192394.html#msg192394

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:16:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

G,Day and welcome to Thunting from London via Australia,

If you contact Our Member by the name of LUC, he will be able to
help you more than anyone, Just send him a Personal message and
I'm sure he'll be glad to help,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192400.html#msg192400

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:23:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Ridge Runner,

Thanks for the info. I am new to this website and I am having a little difficulty in navigating the site. Could you give me some help in finding "Luc" and sending him my original message? Thanks for your help and knowledge.
Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192401.html#msg192401

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:26:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.

===========================
I have no Idea how old ths info is but this is what I found.

==============================

FRANCE

The use of metal detectors was controlled by the use of the war time Patrimony Act 1941 but, on the 18 December 1989 Law Number 89-900 (NOR: MCCX8900 163L) was adopted. However see appendix (L542) adopted in 2004.

Article 1: No one may use metal detecting equipment for the purpose of searching for monuments and objects which could interest (concern?) prehistory, history, art or archaeology without first having obtained administrative authorisation issued according to the qualification of the applicant and also the nature and method of searching.

Article 2: All publicity and instructions on the use of metal detectors must carry the warning of the prohibition stated in Article 1, the penalties involved and also the reason for this legislation.

Article 3: Every infringement of the present law will be noted by officers, police agents and other law enforcement officers, as well as by officials, agents and guardians of Article 3 of the law number 80-532 of 15 July 1980 relative to the protection of public collections against acts of vandalism.

Article 4: The reports drawn up by the various persons designated by Article 3 above will, until proved to the contrary, be given or sent, without delay, to the public prosecutor of the Republic in the jurisdiction where the offence was committed.

Under French law the enactment of legislation is followed by the Decree which determines how the law will be applied. In this case the Decree states:

Article 1 The authorisation to use metal detectors, provided for by Article1 of the 18 December 1989 Law is granted, on the demand of the interested party, by the license of the Prefect of the region in which the land to be searched is situated.

The request for authorisation must establish the identity, competence and experience of the applicant as well as the location, scientific objective and the duration of the searches to be undertaken.

When the searches are to be carried out on land which does not belong to the applicant, the written application must be accompanied by a document of consent written by the owner of the land and, if appropriate, anyone else who has the right.

Article 2 Anyone who uses a metal detector to carry out searches of the sort described in Article 1 of the Law without having first obtained the authorisation required or who does not observe the requirements described in Article 1 of this Decree will be punished by the fine applicable for contraventions of the fifth class.
 The equipment used in the infringement will be confiscated.

Article 3 Whoever publicises or draws up publicity for, or draw up information about the use of metal detectors and fails to draw attention to the requirements of Article 2 of the Law will be punished according to the penalties applicable for offences of the fifth class.

Beaches are believed to be outside this Law.

Appendix (L542)
 Art L542: No one can use equipment allowing metal target detection, to search monuments for objects of interest to pre-history, history, art or archaeology, without having first obtained an administrative authorisation, which may be given depending on the qualification of the applicant, as well as the nature of and reason for the research. Those who contravine are liable ti fines within the band class 5. The purpose of this regulation is the protection of archaeological sites. The authorisation of archaeological research using metal detectors requires the permission of the prefect of the area concerned.

================================
In broad terms the law says that to search on any land be it your own or someone elses, not only do you have to have the landowners permission in writing, but by virtue of the fact that you are searching for objects which could concern/interest prehistory, art or archaeology you are required to obtain administrative authority from the Prefect of the Region. This authority comes in the form of a license which may be issued after reference to the searchers identity, competance, experience and method of searching. Regard is also taken of the location, scientific objective and the duration of the searches to be undertaken.

Failure to take notice and act upon this could result in the confiscation of the metal detector being used and a fine.

It is believed that beach detecting falls outside of this law.

=========================

Translated into English. The new French regulations conceirning digging/searching and picking up relics from French battlefields;

.....On our first search day (we had the intention to dig very carefully), we are deep in the forest when we got caught by a Forestier. A Forestier, is a French forester. Some Forestier has something more judicial powers then the foresters we are used to. Adorned with gun and handcuffs he told us the following:

1. The battlefields of France have been declared to historical sites of the French state;
 2. All items in or on the battle fields is owned by the state;
 3. Taking something / or picking up is the theft of the French state;

How futile, rusty or trivial picked up the article may be the law condemns it as theft of the French state for which the fines are strict.

However, if they have the impression it has to do with tourists with a purpose other than a 'souvenir' pick is also another law (eg in the Somme, Champagne, Verdun, Meuse and Argonne)

Have in possession:
 1. a detector, or
 2. spades, digging tools (a garden spade is too much), or
 3. parts or components of ammunition;

Then immediate confiscation of their vehicle until the fine (FF 20,000 / € 3100, -) is payed. The French government is willing to containment of the offender (s) until this decision is respected.
=========================================================

Hope this helps!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192406.html#msg192406

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:32:38 am by homefire »
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:35:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Homefire,

Yes, that helps. I will take this and another article (in french)  to the regional prefecture (government office in charge) and have them review and hopefully clarify and give me written permission to proceed to do some metal detecting both on the beaches and on dry land. Once this is accomplished, then I will feel better about buying a new detector that I have been considering..
Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192408.html#msg192408

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:38:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Please post what you find here and I will copy to our law sectilon.    Thank you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192409.html#msg192409

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:57:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Arizona.....since homefire has given you a pretty good start, I'll limit myself to saying "howdy"

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192411.html#msg192411

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi BitburgAggie_7377,

I moved here from northern Calif.. The territory here looks like southern Calif (not necessarily the same soil composition). I want to start md'ing again but realize that my old XLT is a little out-dated now. I plan on getting a DFX which is a dual frequency and hopefully will be more helpful. However, before buying a new unit, I want to determine if I will be able to use it over here because the laws are very restrictive.  What type  of targets do you like focus on? Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192418.html#msg192418

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi coloma gold!   Welcome from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon.  Good luck in France!   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192420.html#msg192420

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:55:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

I wouldn't worry too much about your XLT being out dated.   If you can afford to upgrade to a newer detector, great.  But if not a lot of people are still pulling a whole lot of really nice stuff out with XLTs all over the world (including here in Arizona).   And a lot more are using less electronically sophisticated machines than the XLT (in fact a lot of folks prefer the "less sophisticated" models).
   You are right, though, to focus on the legal issues of hunting---especially in a "new" country.
   Tip for contacting members via PM (personal message): If you use the "Community" drop down at the top of the page, you'll see "Team List" which is a list of all of the Admins and Moderators (Luc, Ridge Runner, homefire, and I are all included there with links to our profiles), then you'll see "Buddy List" which is probably empty for you because it is composed of people you've "buddied up" with (that will come with time), then you'll see "Members List" which gives you several ways to search for a member, including by using their name.   Easiest way though is to find a message they've posted and "click" on their name.   That will take you to that members profile page.  There you will find a box in the middle of the page that says "Contact Details".   There you'll see "Send this member a personal message".  Click that and from there it is pretty much like sending an e-mail.

Hope that helped (and by the way, I hunt it all and I dig it all---including the nails and pull-tabs)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27198.msg192421.html#msg192421

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.