[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline underwatermetalmanTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Still deciding
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

With so many choices all of which claim to detect items missed by other units how does one decide? I would like to stay around 1G for the best unit that will be used mainly in the water but will be used for occasional land use in Minnesota. Our season is short so I want the best unit possible. I would love to hear your choice and why...I prefer a unit manufactured in the U.S. as I have heard horror stories of cheap units that do not hold up and are difficult to obtain repairs/component replacements.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg133924.html#msg133924

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

My, my, such wicked experiences to happen to a beginner.

Look, the machines made for underwater use all perform about the same in salt and fresh water. On dry land, you will be most likely using a machine that doesn't have the ability to discriminate. Your shortness of season cannot be helped by the best machine ever made. The recoveries you make are all going to be dependent on your ability to pinpoint a target and dig it fast. In the water, this won't be a big issue as a scoop of sand is normally all that you need. On land, you have to be very careful about disturbing things because you must, as a good treasure hunter, fill all of your holes behind you.

I'm not sure this is the hobby for you, mate. You sound way too impatient to me. I predict that your detector will be on eBay within 6 months.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg133932.html#msg133932

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

First there is no perfect detector its just a tool and like any tool it is only as good as the operator learn the machine and it will work for you. Look at the top 5 manufacturers [Garrett,Whites, Fisher,Tesoro, and Minelab} read the reviews and find the one that works for you.
If you are looking for instant gratification metal detecting may not be for you, If your looking to get rich quick without hard work and lots of research, treasure hunting may not be for you. But if your willing to learn your machine and work at it, enjoy being outdoors with family and friends, if you enjoy digging up junk and spending days IDing  it then you will fit right in.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg133983.html#msg133983

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:49:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

underwatermetalman, nothing much I can add to what Seldom and GoldDigger said, except "Howdy".....oh yeah, one more thing---I wouldn't let the fact that Minelab is NOT American made keep me from seriously considering one of their machines.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg134320.html#msg134320

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

How deep do you need to go?

The New AT-Pro can do 10ft.

VLF all the bells a whistles and Running at 15 Khz gives you a shot at gold nuggets too.

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP6vrZLaSyY#noexternalembed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg134353.html#msg134353

Offline underwatermetalmanTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Still deciding
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the replies, I did, after all my research purchase an excalibur II even after the horror stories I have read on other posts describing repairs etc. Now I am considering another machine for land use but will try the excal first to see how I do- I have a lot to learn and appreciate any and all feedback. I am sure I will be digging a lot of trash initially until I get the hang of this, from what I have read you are better to search in all metal mode so as not to miss the deeper good stuff. Wish me luck as I am anxious to begin. My first priority will be to find some fishing poles I lost last season during a canoe capsizing, I am a certified scuba diver and plan on hitting deeper water.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg143693.html#msg143693

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:13:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by underwatermetalman
Now I am considering another machine for land use but will try the excal first to see how I do- I have a lot to learn and appreciate any and all feedback.

Biggest factor there should be the weight.....I know a whole lot of people who are happily using their excal II's on land.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20320.msg143705.html#msg143705

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.