[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

chicago saying yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19695.msg129676.html#msg129676

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline forester01Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab 2100, Minelab 2200D, Garrett A2B
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 02:28:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good day members,

perhaps I can describe our goldfields and our township here in central Victoria.  Like many townships which spring up in the USA and in Canada, our town here (Rushworth) blew into life as a result of gold nuggets being found by diggers en route from Melbourne to Bendigo (then known as Sandhurst diggings).

A parallel township sprung into life about seven km south of our town at Whroo - which also produced large amounts of gold, particularly through the Balaklava Mine - which is still there as a bloody great open cut but although still loaded with unmined gold through its quartz deposits -  is considered unsafe to mine in these days.  Personally I believe this will change - particularly as now the gold price is about $1300.00 per oz.  The last time I attempted to work its slopes I was warned off - but that was ten years ago and things have probably changed.

Nowadays the detectorist can find small nuggets up to 4 or 5 gms, and occasionally larger, on a fairly regular basis.  The largest nugget (that we know about - and what idiot brags about his good find?) found in this area was named the 'golden spud' (potato) at 38 oz and spurred a mini gold rush to our town, long before I arrived here.

In the meantime, fellas, this area remains a top place to prospect for gold, provided you put in the hard yards.  There are possibly better and more profitable tracts of ground in Australia (particularly in West Australia) which produce bigger and better nuggets, but these are areas which require major preparations with regard to camping and transporting fuel over very large distances.

My own finds have been modest - and most of the nuggets I've unearthed (starting with a Garrett Groundhog) have ended up on necklaces which the several females of my family treasure.  So am I making a fortune out of my Victorian prospecting adventures?

Sorry to say no.  But I get a kick out of tramping into the bush with a detector and the necessary kit, and my wife accompanies me into the bush where she reads whilst I poke around.  it's where we want to be.

All the best, people

Forester

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19695.msg129772.html#msg129772

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.