[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lauren22Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Everyone,
I just received my Garret Ace 250 metal detector and I am very excited to start using it. I live in San Diego near parks and beaches but have never used one before and I am trying to find out where it is legal to detect. Is there anyone out there that is familiar with the area in San Diego and that can give me some suggestions on where to use my detector? I am new to use this and would appreciate any advice. I am interested in the Del Mar and Mission Beach areas. I do understand that it is illegal in state and national parks. I am trying to find a list of parks that do allow it. If anyone can help that would be most appreciated. Any ideas or suggestions welcome!  Thank you, Audrey

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106168.html#msg106168

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:54:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Audry..... from CT. Can't help you on your area but this is the place to ask for help. I'm sure you will find some info. That 250 is supposed to be one heck of a detector. Good luck!.

Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106169.html#msg106169

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Welcome from Texas

Local beach's are probably OK check with the local parks department and the beach patrol. City to city have different rules so you will need to check each city.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106170.html#msg106170

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:06:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey lauren......welcome to THunting.com.   The beaches are fine, as for the local and county parks, go on-line to your official county and/or city government site and download the parks and recreation regulations.   Also take the time to look at the city and county ordinances on the main pages.  Once you've checked those places, it's usually pretty clear whether you can detect or not and whether you need a permit to do so.

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106173.html#msg106173

Offline Foiled Again
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1535.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

No detectors at the moment, 100 gpm suction dredge pump, 2" hand operated gold sucker, handmade bucket classifier, 9 inch cleanup sluice with v-matting
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:34:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello! welcome and good luck in your hunts.Foiled

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106188.html#msg106188

Offline LeDoux
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory
David_LeDoux
Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:54:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello!  Welcome and good luck.  Torrey Pines beach would be a great place for you, but I think it's a state park and may be out of the question.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106191.html#msg106191

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Lauren22 and  Welcome to our Great Forum !!! Best of Luck .

HH...............Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106205.html#msg106205

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline lauren22Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jim,

I am excited about using my Garret Ace 250. I will let you know what I find when I start using it. I feel confident that someone in my area will post or reply with good information for me on San Diego hopefully soon and give me some good tips. If I don't get any response I am going to get out there and head to the beaches in a few days. I am little nervous because I have never done this before but at the same time excited about it.  Thanks, Audrey
Hi Eugene,

I am very excited to be on this forum. Everyone seems to be so accomodating and nice about replying and trying to help with information. I can't wait to start using my new metal detector.       Thanks, Audrey

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106216.html#msg106216

Offline Foiled Again
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1535.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

No detectors at the moment, 100 gpm suction dredge pump, 2" hand operated gold sucker, handmade bucket classifier, 9 inch cleanup sluice with v-matting
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:36:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello a lot of parks and beaches have signs posting the regulations look around also watch for an officer they may be able to help you. Its normal to be nervous while detecting around alot people when you're first starting out and be prepared to have a congregation of children around you once in a while. One possibility to find help is to look in (find buddy) postings you may find one in your area. Foiled

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg106222.html#msg106222

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by lauren22
Hi Everyone,
I just received my Garret Ace 250 metal detector and I am very excited to start using it. I live in San Diego near parks and beaches but have never used one before and I am trying to find out where it is legal to detect. Is there anyone out there that is familiar with the area in San Diego and that can give me some suggestions on where to use my detector? I am new to use this and would appreciate any advice. I am interested in the Del Mar and Mission Beach areas. I do understand that it is illegal in state and national parks. I am trying to find a list of parks that do allow it. If anyone can help that would be most appreciated. Any ideas or suggestions welcome!  Thank you, Audrey

I lived in San Diego for more than 20 years and found the beaches to be an ever replenishing resource. There are a lot of areas surrounding San Diego in the desert which are former travel destinations for those on foot, horseback or wagon. They exist mostly near the main highways. Also, look into the library main branch and look at some of the older maps. Take your Thomas Brothers Map with you and mark all of the parks that have been around for a hundred years or more. Balboa Park, Kate Sessions and a few others come to mind. Some places are off limits but Balboa Park hosted a World's Fair over 100 years ago and some of the neighboring streets are loaded with goodies in that tiny strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street.

There are Butterfield and Wells Fargo stage coach routes which can be accessed by trail bike or 4 wheel drive in your area. Buy yourself a copy of a book called San Diego Place Names. It's full of information on why a place or suburb was named. The Silver Strand, for example. It was named after an old shipwreck which had silver wire on board in huge rolls. When the ship sank, the spools of wire sank and they have been thrashing about under the water for more than a hundred years spewing tiny lengths of silver wire into the water. They wash up every year during winter storms and that stretch of beach gives them up often.

Border Field Park near San Ysidro was a cardboard and tent city for nearly 75 years before it was cleaned up on the 1980s. People from everywhere would camp there making houses of anything they could find. It became a bit of a city in itself. When it was first cleared, I went there and found some amazing coins. One of them was a Spanish Reale from the 1600s.

You are surrounded by history which is rapidly being paved over with new, modern properties. The universities there are constantly being upgraded where some buildings that have stood for over 100 years are being replaced with modern buildings. Escondido to the north has a park that is largely unchanged from its inception with a beautiful bandstand in the middle.

Get out there and have some fun!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16583.msg107048.html#msg107048

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.