[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bpd138Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab X-Terra 505
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:17:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello,
After seeing a few people metal detecting around my town I became intrigued with this hobby.  I began reading just about everythign I could find about it on the internet.  Well, I just bought my first metal detector, a Minelab X-Terra 505.  It arrived a couple of days ago and I was so excited to get outside and try it.  I read the manual cover to cover and I am totally confused!  lol  Actually, for the most part I understand it, what I need is to get out and practice.  The problem is we just had two feet of snow!  Theres too much interference in the  house to play with it so I guess I will have to wait a while before I can really test it out.

Roll on Spring!

Take care,
Willie

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20703.msg137297.html#msg137297

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats on the new machine, Someone posted cant remember who it was, CRS again.
Take a piece of cardboard tape differnt coins etc, under it and use that to practice on learning differnt tones etc, and use an ice pic to poke the cardboard to see how close u are to pinpointing it.

Good Luck and Congrats.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20703.msg137308.html#msg137308

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:20:38 am by kberndt »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:08:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.

Flipping Cold here too.

Jump on in and join the fun.

Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20703.msg137309.html#msg137309

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bpd138
Well, I just bought my first metal detector, a Minelab X-Terra 505.  It arrived a couple of days ago and I was so excited to get outside and try it.  I read the manual cover to cover and I am totally confused!  lol  Actually, for the most part I understand it, what I need is to get out and practice.

Welcome, Willie........and welcome to a nearly universal problem......as clear as the manufacturers try to make the manuals it is still easy to get confused when you read them.    You're right, practice is the key (which is hard to do in the snow).   I would recommend that when you do get out to practice, take the time to take some notes as to what you're settings are and what responses you are seeing/hearing from your machine and what your results are ('dry' hole, specific type of trash, type of find) and any questions or issues that come up while you are using the detector.   Then when you get back home, seat down with the manual and see if it makes a bit more sense or at least explains what you experienced.

In the meantime, you can do a lot worse that spending time on our boards gets tips, pointers, and suggestions from other enthusiasts.

BA in AZ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20703.msg137315.html#msg137315

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome Willie from Utah! Yes, it's really cold up here too - a lousy 26 degrees and storm coming in tonight with 1-2 in expected. We've already got about 4-6 in on the ground of the cold white stuff, so I won't be m/d for a while.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20703.msg137334.html#msg137334

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is the original instructions i had copied them for a reference.

Beginner?s Practice

Beginner?s one thing you can do is get one of each coin,
 A bit of trash IE: pop top, can slaw, screw top, maybe an old style beaver tail if you can find one.

Tape all these items securely to the bottom of a big piece of cardboard in random areas. Heck put at least one coin and pop top on top of another. Place some items close others far from the other.

Turn cardboard over, turn it around a few times. Toss it like a Frisbee (easy does it) so that it spins. Go find yourself a dart or something similar.

Get MD and dart and a pencil. Go over cardboard like you are hunting.
With each target. Write the Id and pinpoint with the dart, by pushing a hole through cardboard. When finished turn over and see how good your ID was, and your pinpoint is.

The cardboard can be used many times. This gives you an idea as to tones, ID, pinpointing. Very good practice,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20703.msg137340.html#msg137340

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.