[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline fixitcheapTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites 5900 di pro sl
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:36:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello I am new to this forum. I joined because it looked like there were some folk here that would know what is wrong with my whites 5900 di pro sl. I got it used a couple of years ago and it has been a good machine until recently. I went to use it one day and as soon as I turn it on it just made a loud squeal no matter how I set the knobs. I took it to the local whites dealer, he detached the coil and it continued squealing. He determined it was a short in the detector but could not point me in the right direction as to where the short could be. His only advise was to send it in to get fixed. That costs $80.00 just to have it looked at and who knows what to have it fixed. I can't justify that cost right now. If no one here can help me out with advice or schematics it may be the end of my metal detecting road for a while. Anything will be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16678.msg106863.html#msg106863

Offline atsparks
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

SELF MADE MODIFIED MFD+ DOWSING DOUBLE BARREL L-RODS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:46:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

27th July 2010

Hello there !
fixitcheap - what youve told is abt right, $80 is too much for just consultation !
what u  can best do is to check around locally for a rdo/tv tech shop - and let them check if for you - the very reason why its howling is due to a burnt resistor and control diodes.. in conjuction with your control knobs. :Smiley

Better yet - i would recommend mr philip (also posting) a retired military man with backpain who is well versed with such trouble-shooting..

Dont give up  ! -
Its not a big deal bro !

atsparks2004  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16678.msg106908.html#msg106908

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nonsense. An $80.00 consultation is quite reasonable for what will be probably two hours of labor to open it, test it and then to reassemble it afterward. White's has a reputation for not charging over that amount no matter what. Unless the unit is beyond repair. Even then, they have been known to give you a coupon or voucher for that $80.00 if you opt to buy a new one.

White's Electronics is one of the absolute best service centers in the metal detecting industry. Trust them to treat you right.

The technician who looked at your machine lacks basic knowledge of a detector. If disconnecting the coil made no difference, it's not a short causing the problem but most likely an open wire in your coil. What you need is a multimeter and a pinout for your coil and you should be able to fix it easily. The most likely cause of failure in a machine that has gone past the infant mortality stage is mechanical failure. The wire in your coil near the connector or near the coil head is the statistical likelihood of the fault.

The 5900 series coil pinout should be the same as one of the attached schematics. White's habit was to design their models to have interchangeable coils whenever possible.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16678.msg107036.html#msg107036

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

5000 D-GEB-2.PDF
5000 D-GEB.PDF
6000 D series 2.pdf

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:34:48 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jmbicycle
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX and Garrett American !
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:49:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Go yo

Please Register or Login

www.whiteselectronics.com
for technical help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16678.msg108368.html#msg108368

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.