[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HarryjTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab E-Trac
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:14:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good afternoon folks. I am a new user and live in the capital region of upstate NY. I am new to metal detecting too, other than occaisionally playing with a detector over the years, but they were always very inexpensive and either were all lame or I never really learned how to use them, probably both...

I got the bug to really get into the search and just started reading into what's currently available. I can't even really explain it but I just felt compelled to get my hands on a good quality detector and to check out my own property. I bought a Minelab E-Trac and so far I am really just trying learn the ins and outs of the machine. It's alot of fun, though digging up everything so I can just try to get how targets sound & look does give my wife something to chuckle about... coming back inside out of the rain all muddy but quite satisfied with my scraps, caps, tabs, bottles or a penny... I did find a cool bottle/jar due to the junk near it

I hope to find a person or two in the area and find some cool search sites. I have a few spots on private land that I may share as well. I'd love to see someone that has really mastered an E-Trac or similar machine work with it so I can learn and get confident enough to choose my targets more effectively. I also have a large 1800's home with an uncemented brick floor that I hope to search completely - so any pointers about that sort of thing are also welcome.

I'm getting my wife interested now too so we hope to find a site where we can search and camp in the area - maybe we'll stumble onto "Leggs Diamond's" stashed loot or something else cool!  Cheesy

I have a question (actually lots, but one for now...) if anyone happens to see this.  I began searching around an old (not sure yet how old, but old - original main house on property was pre 1800) foundation and one spot that caught my eye was an indentation outside the foundation where the grass was not really growing over. I found some scrap but after clearing that I still get a reading that to me could be coins, but I like said, I'm brand new at this, so I'm not sure - almost zero ferrous and target(s) between like half and three quarters on the conductivity reading. I cleared down a bit and come to what seems to be a big chunk of sandstone but I still read the same target(s) now suggesting a depth of around six inches. That's when it started to downpour and I needed a bit more time if I'm to move this rock. I had not come across any other sandstone in my digging that day so it seemd a little odd. I guess my question is is it common that sandstone would cause a reading like that in your experience, or would this intrigue you as it is me? I hope to get back there this weekend.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184795.html#msg184795

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:39:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.

Don't pay attention on what the detector says in a location like that.

DIG MAN DIG!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184802.html#msg184802

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G Day Harryj and welcome to Thunting from London via Australia

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184806.html#msg184806

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, Harryj, and welcome to THunting.com.    Not having any experience with e-tracs, I'll pass on trying to answer that particular question.....except to observe that as a sedimentary rock, a whole lot is going to depend upon what was included in the sediments that went into forming the sandstones.   Iron is frequently mined from sedimentary deposits.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184815.html#msg184815

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab E-Trac
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 01:50:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hmmm, that's what seems odd - that the ferrous level is showing nearly zero... so it would have to be a non-ferrous, fairly high conducting deposit... - thanks

Posted on: June 30, 2011, 01:48:18 PM
Thanks - I certainly will be back to this site with shovel ready!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184821.html#msg184821

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:01:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Harryj
hmmm, that's what seems odd - that the ferrous level is showing nearly zero... so it would have to be a non-ferrous, fairly high conducting deposit... - thanks

I was just using iron as an example since it is one of the most common occurences.   Theoretically any metal could be involved.    Given enough time and the right conditions, placer gold deposits can theoretically be incorporated into a sandstone like geologic structure.   But I'd eliminate all the other possibilities before I tried breaking up the sandstone to recover metal from in it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184829.html#msg184829

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab E-Trac
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK - got it - thank you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg184842.html#msg184842

Offline DaCapt
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tek G2
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:54:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello and welcome from California!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26300.msg185024.html#msg185024

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.