[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by puknuj
Do you still turn up a few of the metal bottle tops that were crimped onto beverage bottles? or have they mostly rusted away. I have seen a lot of other things but not them.

I find those in abundance, especially at some of the older sites we visit.   I even come across the occasional one that was meant for a larger than normal bottle.    There are a couple of places we visit regularly where prep work now includes running a large magnet over the area to be hunted so as to remove the bottle caps, nails, and old razor blades  Smiley  .   Of course the nice thing about places like that is if you are really lucky you can find the bottles that went with the bottle caps, although it is getting much harder to find whole specimens.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216678.html#msg216678

Offline puknujTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe the larger ones came from what we knew as the 1/2-G.allon..We used to fish out the cork seal from the back and then use to capture our shirt making the cap into a badge- sometimes messy and not a popular move, at the home-front.

How do those big, handled magnets work where they slide the magnet up inside the outer housing? is the shell of a stainless steel that does not carry much flux? Will have to get a few expired HDDs and do something with their magnets. Tough beggars, have lost painful bits of fingerprint to their grip several times.

When you say razors - have you managed any cut-throats in good condition??. Someone here was making a "peasants" pocket knife using the same method of holding the blade right open; a good cheap way of reducing the frequency of gashing ones knuckles Wise.

When still in short pants I found some certified weights from a set of [Post Office letter] scales, a whale bone toothbrush with good bristles (and  makers name in French) plus an assortment of small musket balls, in the remains of an ghost town's Post Office building. Took them to  the local museum, they displayed them years later. The brass weights polished up quite well but none of them were turned over to show the lead-plugged hole bearing the Weights & Measures inspector's certifying seal, pity. The things I no longer have!

Any chance of a look at one of your favourite bottles? I'll photo one of my stoneware ones. Have lost ornate ones through not hiding them! Can't remember:- did adding gold to the recipe colour the glass blue, green or red?.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216727.html#msg216727

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Puknuj!  Welcome to the forum from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!   Welcome  Welcome aboard!  Good luck with the detecting!      Detecting             

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216814.html#msg216814

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:16:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Arfieboy

Thank you for the kind words.

I suppose you are about ready to be finished with winter and wanting to get your spring plans under way, with a new display shelf for the coming harvest?

What is your favourite aspect of MDing?

Hope to have free time next weekend to get out and play {seriously}. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216846.html#msg216846

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Puknuj, right now  my main interest in treasure hunting is coin shooting.  I started out in the early 1970's coinshooting and have run through the whole spectrum from coins to relics, to bottles, prospecting, panning, ghost towning, mining, and beaches occasionally.  I have pretty much come full circle at this time.  I'm now in my mid-60's, feel good, but don't have the stamina I used to have in the mountains.  I still like to go, though.

Thanks for asking!   Best of luck to you!  Hope you have great fun.  I know over the years I have had great fun!                      Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216854.html#msg216854

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 09:49:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Way to go ArfieBoy! I imagine you would be hard to beat when it comes to getting the most out of an MD outing.

I am similarly 'conditioned' and, well . . . . .  here goes!

Looking forward to picking up your posts around the site.  Stephen [junkup]

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216885.html#msg216885

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.