[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline puknujTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

javascript:void(0);     from Christchurch, New Zealand.

Recently 'inherited' an MD. When I get that going I'll be into swinging the copper, coin-shooting for starters.

I wonder if anyone has used one of these:- "Superb Sound  MD3006" a 'VLF Discriminator Detector', so the meter bezel claims. The bottom of the coil's shell appears to only have been sitting in the corner of someone's shed and it may never have done any work - no instructions with it.

Maybe there are a few controls I can leave "off" whilst getting familiar with it?     javascript:void(0);

So far I have dismantled the meter and cleaned out the dust then re-aligned the magnetic pole-piece. Next is to finish soldering up a 9V/18V power supply so that I can lug around my small 12V SLAB rather than shell out for new 9V batteries.

javascript:void(0); Time flies- had better get it going before I forget why I got it out  javascript:void(0);

Looking forward to learning heaps. It was encouraging to find this site- thanks.
Stephen

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216439.html#msg216439

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

MD3006.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.   

You may want to rethink the battery arrangement your talking about.

Have a look around.

We have tons of info within these walls.

Oh, Here is the manual for your detector. :   

Please Register or Login

http://www.famoustrails.com/manuals/MD3006_MD7012_instructionalsheet.pdf

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216445.html#msg216445

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello homefire:

Many thanks for the instruction sheet, that gets me further along the way.

What are your NM interests? There are not many things-historical close to home to probe, yet.

I will be happy just to have reliable gear that I can work with while finding out which way "up" really is.

Probably my battery re-think will come within 30 minutes of detecting with the SLAB; about when the twinging screws set in. I haven't bothered to look assuming that there are rechargeable 9V batteries around or are the disposable one preferred?

I haven't made such a supply before.

Do you make any of your gear, electronic or mechanical? I must eat a big tin of beans so I have the beginnings of a sand scoop!  <];-}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216498.html#msg216498

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:34:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yea, I build what I can.

Working with Eugene on a version of the 20Khz LoBo detector.

We have tons of good stuff going on here.

I went camping out last night at a motel because the hot water here did the dead bug thing and was getting Crusy.

LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216519.html#msg216519

Offline silverdog
Copper Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

465.00 Gold
View Inventory
silverdoguk
WWW Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good Luck with it, but I fear it seemes to have not had any use for a reason - it is not very good

My Nephew had one a few years back for his birthday, you can buy them for under $50 US , more a novelty toy than a proper detector

But hey if its shallow you may still find somthing good

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216525.html#msg216525

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What ya talking about There Silverdog.

Yea a bit lame but a detector for sure.

Running at 15 KHz they will surprise ya.

Someone gave me one because he could not make it work.

Ground Balance it  and it would find a dime at 7 inches no problems.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216529.html#msg216529

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:47:57 pm by homefire »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:55:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Arizona.   We hunt anything we can find around here.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216584.html#msg216584

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:02:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire: No hot water is a pain- were you at all tempted to just keep on driving past the motel, out of town, and wave the wand at first light??  Hope you don't have to sell off some dets to get it fixed ;}

The Lobo project sounds interesting [I never met that one]. Are you fine-tuning it of souping it up so it hardly recognises itself. I should be that motivated 'n tutored.

IF my MD is dead-bug then I have an attractive chassis for the next det. maybe a SurfPI.

The analogue units sound interesting-  apparently a great deal of discrimination may be done at and between the ears. I'm half deaf and half of half deaf so I would probably walk into trees, guardians of the law or passing trains while following the squeaks.

Stephen

Posted on: March 14, 2012, 09:12:43 PM
Good to 'meet' you Silverdog.

You have sort-of read my mind on the lack of use for the MD. They may have given it up because the meter movement was well and truly puka-rooed, the (centre) pole piece will flop around with very little encouragement and jam the coil so there is no deflection to back-up the tone changes. Perhaps it is the user rather than the machine that has failed; anyway I should have the time to get it running in the next week-or-so. There is one resistor next to a battery connection that appears to have heated up the board but resistor is not blistered - will see. If smoke is all it is good for then smoke it is!

I'll keep going this-a-way for a bit as probably it is a good time to get to know machines and detecting before getting too involved in [probably less than ideal decisions for] more advanced stuff.

This can only get me into more animated conversations with my other 3/4! I often cop remarks for stopping to collect spanners, pliers and the occasions $20 note looking lost on the road. Maybe I should start with a large magnet under the car?

Starting with coin-shooting / aluminium {that's nzinglish rather than amglish [;>  } recycling around parks and beaches, what would your preferences be for getting your nephew into the fun?

Looking forward to catching up you a bit further down the pull-tab trail.

Stephen

Posted on: March 14, 2012, 09:36:10 PM
BitburgAggie, hello.

Thanks for the greetings from AZ.

I am a little concerned that if I get too keen I will maybe even be "keen" enough not to ensure it is inert before digging. Imagine chasing around the steel toecap of a guardian of the law!!

What do you use for cutting plugs? My rather battered 'n very blunt WWII bayonet had been considered but may not be appreciated for its utilitarian virtues!!!!  My garden trowel will probably be the first household casualty in this new-found fun.

In places there is so much iron that the concentration a bit below the surface has formed an almost impervious [iron pan] layer which may mellow a bit when saturated and is a real challenge to dig through, manually. What I came across when putting in fence posts and walls varied in thickness from an inch to over four in the space of a metre or two. that town is a looong way from home, now, so it's no immediate challenge. Wonder how iron-pan 'detects'.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216600.html#msg216600

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:51:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by puknuj
What do you use for cutting plugs? My rather battered 'n very blunt WWII bayonet had been considered but may not be appreciated for its utilitarian virtues!!!!  My garden trowel will probably be the first household casualty in this new-found fun.

I have attached a photo of my two favorite digging tools---one for digging in nicely manicured lawns and areas where care is needed and one for the hard ground where there isn't a lot of vegetation to worry about damaging.   Both have rare earth magnets attached.   The pick came with the magnet attached.   I had to attach the magnet to the blue handled digger myself, which is why there is duct tape wrapped around one end of the handle.   

I'm not sure how clearly it shows in the photo, but blade of the blue handled digger is considerably heavier and sturdier than that of your typical garden tool.  One of the edges is serrated in case you need to cut through roots.  The other edge can be sharpened if desired.   There is even a built in depth gauge.   I picked this beauty up a few years ago in my local hardware store/garden center for about $15 US.   I expect to be using it for the next 20 years or so.   In the US, it is generally marketed under either the Ames True Temper name or the Jackson Seven in One VersaPlanter name.   However, since it is manufactured in China, you may be able to pick one up in New Zealand under a different name.

My wife prefers a long handled garden trowel that features a telescoping handle (69 cm to 104 cm).   The blade is a little broader than my Ames's and the metal is not as heavy of a gauge, which means it will wear out long before mine, but it does have its advantages.  For one, she can use it as a walking stick if necessary and for another if she is careful she can use it as a spade and put a little foot pressure on it to help it sink through the hard ground.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216604.html#msg216604

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

my_favorite_diggers.jpg

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

non YET
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good photo BA - my trowel is stainless and quite rugged but without serrations. Something with an extending handle would be ideal here as sometimes I might feel tempted to use the wand to help hoist myself back up to vertical. Sigh!

Have always enjoyed a heavier than lighter tool, whether hammer or spade. I figured out years ago not to be hanging on too tightly to my end just before the business bit starts slowing down. I have a really long and narrow forged steel spade but it's too heavy to lug around on the off-chance.

Maybe someone makes mistakes at their  end & we get the same Ames as over there Wink

The other device looks interesting, seems to have quite a heavy head- good for clouting the hard bits, does that have any particular name? Pity there are not aluminum magnets for a lot of that junk. I have a geologists 'hammer' somewhere so that will probably do.

How long will it take me to find enough things to fill up my big enough day-pack? even before I have all the essentials which should only take up half the space! No doubt what gets left behind was essential and should be replaced while everything taken home safely should never have left home.   One thing I could save weight on is taking a 1 metre dressmaking tape rather than a ruler.

Do you still turn up a few of the metal bottle tops that were crimped onto beverage bottles? or have they mostly rusted away. I have seen a lot of other things but not them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35540.msg216631.html#msg216631

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.