[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SweeperTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just found this site, too cool!! I'm really thinking of buying a detector and going treasure hunting but lacking the funds right now so just reading and dreaming. I live on an old civil war battlefield in SE Kansas and so I just KNOW I'll find something cool. Anyone else in this neck of the woods?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg69653.html#msg69653

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I sweeper.  I was in your same boat for quite a while.  I'm glad I finally got a couple of detectors and was able to get actively involved.   In the meantime the reading will pay off for you.   And there's no reason why you can't actively research possible caches or relic sites if either of those two areas interest you.   
       Looking for and following leads is a good way to stay busy when you can't swing a detector for one reason or another.......Also, there are other forms of treasure hunting that you can do know that might actually help you get the cash you need to get a detector.....you'd be surprised what you can find in an old dump site or privy with just a shovel and a homemade screen sifter.

Good luck,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg69657.html#msg69657

Offline SweeperTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:45:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Aggie! Believe me I've been tempted to grab a shovel and just start digging willy nilly in the backyard! Lol! I've got the bug bad and am frustrated at not being able to start detecting. The battlefield I live on was the largest Calvary engagement of the civil war. Over 14,000 soldiers blue and gray combined and the battle was swift paced and moved over a large area. The perfect place I'd imagine for someone to drop something was fighting on the run and then of course they encamped here as well. I would grab the shovel but my wife might hit me with it if she sees me digging holes all over her lawn! LOL.. were on 7 acres though so I might just start in the field. Thanks again for the great advice. I'm hoping I make enough to cover my detector and one for each of my boys (4 and 5) :]

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg69661.html#msg69661

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you can find a trash dump somewhere on that 7 acres, that would be the place to start.   I'd also look for depressions that look like they could have been latrines that had been filled in and then had the dirt settle.   You can find a lot of valuable "trash" including unbroken bottles in some of those.   The right one just might buy you at least one metal detector.

I'd say you should do some careful recon of your property.   Remember, a metal detector is tool ( a really fabulous one), but the most important tool is the one between your ears and the eyes and ears that are attached to it.   See if you can tell where the combatants may have camped.

Good luck,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg69673.html#msg69673

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Sweeper and welcome. I was raised in SE Kansas. Have you ever seen or looked for any of the old CW bullets lying around on the ground from the battle? I remember someone, N of Ft Scott, telling me how they'd found the old bullets on the surface. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg69686.html#msg69686

Offline AmmoDog68
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Sweeper,

Welcome to the site.   I was born and raised in Kansas City, then i joined the Army.   I am currently in Germany.  One day ill get back and settle down.   I watched a very good CW documentary I think it was the Battle of Coal creek or something like that.  Again welcome...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg69693.html#msg69693

Offline Silversmith45
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT   Garrett Ace 250   Teknetics 9000
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:10:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings from Wichita.  I've always been interested in Civil War artifacts but there aren't any around here.  Wichita was a cattle drive town, but all of the interesting places are under concrete. (and snow)  It sounds like you are n the right spot.  You might see if your neighbors have found anything on their property.
 Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10900.msg70045.html#msg70045

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.