[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline greasemunkeyTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all.
I stumbled across this site while trying to find some schematics for a college project. I still haven't found the schematics I was looking for as I have spent the past 2 evenings totally sucked in by these forums.
I'm afraid my only experience with a metal detector was when I found a Chevy thermostat housing under the Foresthill bridge. I think it may have been from the Corvette that Vin Diesel drove off of the bridge in the movie 'Triple X'. I was actually hoping for a nugget, but with the $30 detector that a friend gave me I think I was probably lucky to come away with the thermostat housing.

So, this coming semester I get 2 units toward my degree just by building something. Anything I like, as long as it's electronic. Last semester I built a tube guitar amp - it won a rosette at this year's state fair  Shocked
This time around I'd like to try my hand at a metal detector. Preferably something that's going to find me MILLIONS of these California nuggets. Or at least one anyway, so I can send it to my mum.

From what I've found out from other threads on this site, it looks like the lobo would fit the bill, although I'd appreciate any input on the subject as I have absolutely no clue about detectors, other than what I've read on these forums.
Also, I have found the schematics thread, but it says I cannot download the files. What kind of hoops do I have to jump through to get download privileges? I don't really have very much to contribute, or not until I start building something anyway. I already shared my thermostat story. I'm afraid it's about the best I've got.
I suppose I could tell you about my mum's gold Roman coins... no metal detectors involved though, just a garden trowel.

Thanks all for a wonderful site. I'm gonna go read some more threads now  Grin
Paul in Sacramento

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190835.html#msg190835

Offline MPxUser
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:21:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to thunting! I'm sure you'll find all the info you need here in the forum, there's some really knowledgeable people here.
I lived in the Marysville/Yuba City area for 12yrs and really miss the gold panning. Welcome and enjoy the site!  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190851.html#msg190851

Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point PinPointer
Gator SawTooth Digger Series 1500

Offline Gary Zenz
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, cen-tech pinpointer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:26:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Paul. Welcome from NC. I dont know much about building a detector but i love
using one. There is plenty of info here for you though. A lot of gray matter you
can pick at. Good luck and enjoy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190854.html#msg190854

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.   Check out the Tech Talk forums.

After twenty five post you have access to the Down Loads..

Are you allowed to build from a Kit?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190858.html#msg190858

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:56:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, Paul.   Welcome from Arizona.   Since you're getting "sucked into the forums", start joining some of the conversations.   As Homefire says, you'll have the needed posts to hit the download section in no time.  It just takes getting involved in some of the discussions you find the most interesting.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190872.html#msg190872

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
25 posts you say? I'm betting I get no further than 3 posts before making a complete fool of myself. I really am quite clueless about this stuff.
I had once looked into getting a "proper" detector, but at around $700-$800 it was (and still is) a little out of my price range.
I've been checking out some used machines on craigslist - there are a couple of White's Goldmasters posted at the moment for $250. Tempting, but I'd really like to see if I could build something useable first. It just adds to the enjoyment knowing you built something yourself. Oh yeah, and I get 2 units toward my degree without having to sit in any lectures  Smiley

To homefire: Yes, I can build from a kit. I probably should have done that with the tube amp that I built. I could have saved about $300 and an extra 40 hours of work Sad
Still, I learned a whole bunch building the thing from scratch.
If you could point me in the direction of some kits that would be awesome. I'll probably need 2 kits though. Knowing me I'll start tinkering with the first one and break it. Or possibly break myself. Or maybe both.

To MPxUser: I like to dabble with panning from time to time. Not nearly as often as I'd like though. One day I even hope to find some gold that's big enough to get out of the pan  Tongue
I've only been down to the Foresthill bridge near Auburn though, which I guess is a little overworked.
I was actually thinking of heading up the hill this weekend if I have time, possibly out by Yankee Jim's bridge near Colfax. If you have any pointers for good spots out by Marysville/Yuba though maybe I'll give that a shot. A friend of mine suggested I go for a drive through the Buttes - I could do that too while I'm out that way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190913.html#msg190913

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

greasemunkey, if you get off of the New User Board and read some of the previous posts on other boards, you'll find that it is pretty difficult to make a complete fool of oneself here.  Doing so usually involves serious effort or a bad attitude.   And there are "proper" detectors out there for under $700.00 new and a lot of them for under that used.  I'm pretty sure you have the stuff to build your own, but swinging a Tesoro or a Garrett Ace 250 or something similar while your building is at least worth considering.   And if you really want to wait, spend the time learning.... that means getting on the technical and other boards and asking questions.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190924.html#msg190924

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:52:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, I've been reading a bunch of posts about the lower priced Garretts and Tesoros. I'll keep an eye on craigslist in case a bargain comes up.
The 'proper' detector I was looking at was supposedly the tool for the job if I wanted to find gold nuggets. I would love to find nuggets. Not just because they're shiny and expensive, but because I'm originally from the south-east of England. We don't get nuggets there. Nuggets come from faraway, exotic countries like, umm... California.
So now I'm in California, and the idea of spending a weekend getting lost up the side of a mountain hunting for nuggets certainly sounds like a fun time to me. Now I just need one o them magic nugget sniffing machines...

Y'know, even if there were nuggets in Essex they'd be difficult to find because of all the bloody trash that the Romans left behind. Hmm...I wonder if that $700 detector could find a nugget in a field full of bronze helmets...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190926.html#msg190926

Offline MPxUser
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 06:55:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

GreaseMonkey, I panned at Yankee Jim's with a little success ( found some nice color in an old abandoned mine there ) but too many people go there, I went up in the Loma Rica area off of Hwy20 going up to Grass Valley I had a very productive hole. It produced enough to buy me a used Jeep Cherokee Sport and new tires and rims for it. I'm going to send you directions to my old hole in Lima Rica because I dont see me being able to go back there. A MD with gold detection will be very beneficial.
Good Luck!  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26998.msg190961.html#msg190961

Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point PinPointer
Gator SawTooth Digger Series 1500

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.