[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GavinTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADS Deepseeker
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi there,
I am new to prospecting and after a recently ill prepared trip to Hill End without a detector or much of a clue, i have realised that i "DO" have the gold bug! ....And.... that i should have paid more attention in "Lefty's" geology class (which we used to call Rocks with a healthy level of disregard)
Note:"Lefty's" name was Mr Wrightsmith but he got his nickname as a result of his left arm being significantly shorter than his right.
I also had a teacher who's name was Mr Cockshead - nothing more to be said other than; where do they get these guys?

Ok so the first trip without a detector was interesting lots of sluicing and panning and digging of holes with myself and a mate regularly stopping to take a closer look at "rocks" in our pan and saying to each other "this has just got to be Gold?" a lengthy pause to ponder the possibilities usually ended up with one of us saying "F....d if i know?" and the "rock" being tossed back into the river. We did find a very small seam running through a piece of quartz which looked sensational through my new jewellers loupe, i do hope to shoot for something which is just as appealing to the naked eye next trip.

Lessons learned;
- Be prepared to do a lot of digging with the right tools - done
- Get a metal detector of some sort as a start - done ADS Deepseeker (cheap start but proven performer in good nik)
- Read up as much as possible and source old maps showing where claims were staked back in the 1800's - done
- Take a decent sized back pack to carry lumps of quartz back to camp for further processing and plenty of water. - done
- Find a couple of old locals that are more than willing to take me to a highly secretive, favorite family, prospecting spot where i am guaranteed to find enough gold to fund my retirement. - still in progress

2nd expedition is about to commence within the next few days. I will refrain from posting the actual location until i am satisfied that i have investigated the area thoroughly...) I will certainly update on any further info or subsequent finds as soon as i am done with the local press etc.
More news to follow, Gav  Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136688.html#msg136688

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:11:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from the Perth side.

Don't publish your expedition location at all. The members here are mostly all right, in that regard, but you do have shady characters reading these forums without ever joining just to take advantage of what they can learn. Just have fun showing photos and describing your prospecting without giving too much away.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136692.html#msg136692

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADS Deepseeker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:36:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi there Digger,
Haha thanks for your message.
I will take this on board and can assure you that there was a healthy amount of my tongue planted in my cheek when i wrote my intro.
I have already been exposed to the politics associated with making a decent find.
My mate has said that he wants us to be working independently, so whoever finds what is theirs.
I gave this some thought and realised, well if he is there and i came across something worthwhile does this mean i hit him over the head with my shovel and bury him next to my find? Makes me think about how often this came up in the early years..
Do you have any advice for fair terms when working with mates?

Regards, Gav

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136697.html#msg136697

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

When hunting for a suspected cache, it's always a split down the middle. On my claims (I have two in the US - I'm American), it's always finder's keepers to anyone I invite there. When they're done for the day, the claim is still mine so it doesn't matter what they find. What they can't carry out that day stays with me. Them's the rules.

The circumstances of your claim, or work on Crown Land, will determine how you should treat things. You should encourage him to join here and read some of the replies that come after mine. Rest assured the opinions on this will vary greatly.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136701.html#msg136701

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:58:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.

Sound like you have a plane.

Here is some more Brain Food for ya!

Please Register or Login

http://www.geologynet.com/gpros.htm

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136733.html#msg136733
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/little_orange_guy_e0.gif

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:01:43 am by homefire »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADS Deepseeker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:47:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD,

I think i would have played it out just as you described 50 - 50 for total winnings for the day/week etc.
I don't think you could be more fair with your policy. It's a bit like me dancing with your beautiful wife, but you taking her home at the end of the night.
I will encourage my friend to join up and look forward to further discussions.
Thanks for having me aboard,
regards, Gav

Posted on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:11 AM
Hey Homefire,

Thankyou for the welcome and the info most helpful.

Regards, Gav

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136739.html#msg136739

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
70%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, Gavin.

Looks like GD has you off to a good start.

BA in AZ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20618.msg136974.html#msg136974

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.