[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline texasred777Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:09:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm new to THunting; but not new to using metal detectors.  I started with a $30 detector from Radio Shack in early 1981, then bought a Bounty Hunter 840 later in 1981.  I've only had my Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707 out about 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years.  I'm really looking forward to getting back into it!  I know that I'm way behind, and have a lot of catching up to do.  I'll probably have to ask for some info to help me remember all the things that I've forgotten about using a detector.  ALL HELP will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, and glad to be aboard!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263724.html#msg263724

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:15:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from NM.   Jump on in.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263730.html#msg263730

Offline aluminizer
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac, T-2, Red Baron VLF/SPD
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Arizona!  Just jump in and fire away, many answers to questions have  been answered on the various forums. So browse them thru and feel free to ask more.  These guys can set you straight.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263737.html#msg263737

Keep Swingin

If some is good and more is better then too much is just right!

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello and Welcome from NT Australia , good luck hunting .. cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263742.html#msg263742

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:17:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Texasred, and Welcome from Utah! Yes, as the previous folks have said just look in the other forums for the questions. That new users forum (maybe it's called for Beginners) is a good one. There's a lot of people that ask questions in there - like myself.
 Smiley

We'll look forward to reading your recent discoveries in the 'today's finds' thread! Be sure to post pictures with it too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263754.html#msg263754

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the forum from northeastern Oregon!   Welcome           Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263774.html#msg263774

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline texasred777Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:32:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

I want to thank everyone for the 'welcomes'.  It's appreciated and makes a body feel right at home!!

Posted on: November 09, 2013, 08:06:47 am
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.  If not, please post it in the proper thread. 

I'd like to tell a little about myself and how I got into metal detecting.  I grew up in central Texas, born and raised in Hillsboro, moved to Waco in 1979, and lived there until 2007.  My wife died in 2006, so I sold out and moved to Idaho to be near my daughter and her family. 

In 1980, I was browsing in a Radio Store in Waco and ran across a cheap metal detector.  A few weeks later, I bought it.  I believe I paid either $29.99 or $49.99 for it.  We lived in an older house and had a big front and back yard.  I started finding some newer coins and became more interested in detecting.  I began buying the Th'ring (?) magazines.  I read some of the articles about using detectors and began finding more coins.  I searched only in the yard where I lived with this detector.  I found several silver dimes, quite a few wheat cents, and lots and lots of 'junk' because this detector had no discrimination settings.  After I thought that I had found enough to pay for this little detector, I bought a Bounty Hunter 840.  This was in 1981.  The first coin that I found was a 1909 quarter about 3 inches deep in the front yard.  I bought a set of headphones, mainly because we lived on busy 4-lane street and traffic was heavy at times.  With the headphones, I began finding more coins.  I still am amazed at the number of coins, cheap rings, and a silver bracelet that I found in this one yard!.  When I couldn't find much else in the yard, I began going to an elementary school that was about 4 blocks from where I lived.  As I became more adept at using the 840, I began finding coins down to about a 5 inch depth.  I got a 'hit' one Saturday morning and dug out a 1927 dime.  Of course when I found it, I again used the detector over the same spot and got another 'hit'.  I'm surprised that I didn't find the 1926 (?) dime at the same time I found the other dime.  They were almost together.  I have two 1909 standing liberty quarters, a V nickel, and about 17 silver dimes, along with numerous wheat cents.  My next door neighbor bought a Red Baron Bounty Hunter and we would go out on Sunday mornings together.  He worked the other 6 days a week.  We would leave before daylight so we could have breakfast at a local restaurant before went to our 'sites'.  I guess we found more at elementary schools than anywhere else.
I didn't use the detector much in 1982 because of job requirements and sickness in the family.  Since then I just haven't took the time to do any serious detecting.  When I was using the detector, I searched several neighbor yards.  I found quite a bit of 'stuff'.  I've never found a fifty-cent piece.  I'm sure there are some out there. 
Now that I'm single again, retired, 'foot loose and fancy free', I would like to get back into detecting.  I doubt that I have used the Tracker over 15 or so hours since I bought it in about 2003.  This was about the time the 840 started acting up.  I took both of them out several times and found that I really liked the old 840 more than the Tracker.  I tried using the Red Baron that my neighbor had, but didn't like different motion/sounds that it used.  I bought a cheap detector from Harbor Freight about 3 or 4 years ago.  It is more like the 840 than the Tracker.  The few times that I've gone out with them, I have used the little cheap one most of the time.  I've found a few newer coins in the yard at my daughter's house, but no older ones.  The little cheap detector may be as good as the old 840 since there has been so much improvement in electronics during the time the 840 was made and the little cheap one.  I just haven't used it enough to know.  IF, I get the 840 fixed, maybe then I can find out!
Now that I'm in Idaho, I would like to start searching some of the elementary school yards and the local parks to see what I can find.  I have seen several guys using detectors in the parks; but I saw a lot guys searching the school yards back in Waco.  They found the loose coins and I found some silver coins that were deeper.  The parks here may be searched-out, but I'd like to find out for myself!  Also there may be some gold to be found, especially in the mountains.  I don't know if I'm up to that kind of a trip; but we'll see. 
I'm really enjoying reading some of the threads here on THunting!  I'll be trying to spend more time here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263794.html#msg263794

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline aluminizer
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1310.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac, T-2, Red Baron VLF/SPD
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 12:21:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey this is a great hobby!  What can be better than stimulating the senses and get fresh air at the same time?  Thanks for your thunting history, it is one that many of us can relate to. 

Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263812.html#msg263812

Keep Swingin

If some is good and more is better then too much is just right!

Offline Cannonball
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

G2
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:35:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome and hallo from Germany

GF Cannonball

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg263851.html#msg263851

Offline darksoulza
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Andorra

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

optional
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Im orginally from Ca where it was ok to metal detect public schools during the weekend or when school was not in session. Is it the same here in WA? I don't want any trouble with the locals. thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48267.msg264236.html#msg264236

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.