[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Richard Ray
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

many
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:06:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Mark:
    I've been rumored dead at least three times in my life, even back to a few years after graduation and returning from my first overseas mission. I may be in bad shape, but still kicking. LOL
   Richard

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg133227.html#msg133227

Offline fantomTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Phantom
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 06:30:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. One recommendation I got was:
....Mark..the Phantom is similar to the D-Tex Coin King and the Garrett Groundhog ....if I was you I would try to locate the instruction manuals for either the Coin King or the Groundhog ....I am sure that you can locate a Phantom Manual eventually but that may take a while.....right now you just need enough info to get started.......Joe 
This advice came from:

Please Register or Login

http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/Have-you-seen-these-before-td5478991.html#none

I found D-Tex details and put together information into a word document (attachment 1).  I have also attached a couple of pics of my detector. I've figured out how to make the mouse in the box squeak,  but neither tuning nor discrimination. Making progress, with help from new friends!

Can you tell me if there is information in the DTex attachment that won't work?  That would help, too.

Just discovered I need to shrink my jpgs to attach (currently 3.5M each). Not an issue - just need time to manipulate. Next project!

Regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Mark

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134103.html#msg134103

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DTex Metal Detector info.doc

Offline Richard Ray
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

many
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mark:
    If I remember correctly, the D-Tex was totally different, the Groundhog was a little more similar but didn't have the 6 frequency control and more sensitivity that many Phantom detectors had. Is your detector a body mount or a shaft model? I have one Phantom out in my office, (my wife bought it for me from a pawn shop, several years before she passed away, I don't even know if it runs) unfortunately I can't get there. I also have an old D-Tex.
  Have a Happy New Year. May God Bless.
      Richard

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134139.html#msg134139

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Phantom
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 08:37:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings, Richard

The model I have is a Phantom Detector sn 1003-283. The label on the left and right sides indicates Automatic VLF/TR Discriminator 15 KHz.  There are four 9V batteries inside (label says use standard, not alkaline batteries?) and there is a toggle switch on the carry handle that curves over the controls (5 knobs and two switches, plus earphone jack). There is a push button release for the shaft and a 7" coil. The label indicates copyright 1980, Richard Ray. My Dad probably bought it in Houston.  I've got a half dozen good pics, but they are too large to include without modifying the file size. Current limits are 0.5 M and these pics are 3.5M each (sure blow up nice, though).  This has got to be the shaft model - rubber handlebar grip on the tube handle. Body mount has a cuff - right? 

This has the following controls: Tuning - quiet - sound; Power - sensitivity - low to high; Metal (TR) - Discriminate 1-9; Tone - low to high; Auto-Tune (toggle switch) manual-auto; Battery 1-2 (toggle switch); Ground (VLF) decrease-cancel-increase; and the headphone jack in the lower-right corner. The VLF-TR toggle is on the end of the rubber grip.   The Ground control appears to be attached to a multi-turn pot - it doesn't stop at 360 degree turn.

This rascal looks like new, even though it is 30 years old.  I read that you built these to mil spec.  That demonstrates a true craftsman to me. 

The labels indicate "The Treasure Hunter, Inc." and "The Phantom Metal Detector - Manvel, Texas"

Does this ring a bell ;-)?

Regards,
Mark

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134160.html#msg134160

Offline Richard Ray
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

many
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 01:05:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Mark:
    It's one of our shaft type, seem to be any early one, we put out over 4000 machines. They were built to Mil-spec 465, way above the standard of the day. We did this because we were selling machines to the Army for finding unexploded (duds) at proving grounds. And our control module was double DIPPED, rather than sprayed with a moisture barrier to keep the machines from '"drifting" in varying atmosphere conditions. ( drift is caused by humidity. As the humidity goes up, so does the drift and as it goes down the drift goes down).  I'd place one on a test stand in the morning and let various targets mounted on a wheel, pass under it for 12 or more hours, without touching it and it wouldn't drift a bit. Most machines would need constant adjustment. I'm sure that technology has come a long way today... Play with it enough and you'll get it, they're not that complicated....

Richard Ray

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134238.html#msg134238

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Phantom
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 04:16:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Many Thanks for the information, Richard.

I've got pictures re-sized under 500k and these would go well with our discussion so that others can view what you built and contributed to Treasure Hunting several moons ago.

Should be able to find places to practice here on the east side of Dallas.

Regards,

Mark

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134398.html#msg134398

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

203 35.jpg

Offline Richard Ray
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

many
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mark:
   That's our standard "plain Jane" model. Start by making sure the batteries are fresh, turn POWER knob until there is a SLIGHT sound. Turn the TONE about half way. TUNE until you get a low steady tone. METAL discriminate until you drop out the unwanted metals and read the wanted metals, remember there is a null and a rise in tone. Tune GROUND by holding the coil in the air and lowering it to just above touching the earth. If the tone changes adjust the GROUND knob until there is little or no change.
    That's basic instructions. There is a lot more to fine tuning, practice, practice AND use will get YOU tuned to the art of metal detecting. LOL
    Richard Ray

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134415.html#msg134415

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Phantom
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great information - Thanks, Richard!

Dr. told me I need to spend more time walking (more exercise) so I reduce the chance of another heart attack.  Got a stent about 8 months ago - completely unplanned or expected.  Now I have no excuses ;-)

God Bless us all,
Mark

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19395.msg134427.html#msg134427

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

193 35.jpg
195 35.jpg
196 35.jpg
197 35.jpg
200 35.jpg
201 35.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.