[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline abxTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« on: November 04, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm 59 years old and never went treasure hunting before.  I still haven't bought a detector.  It looks like I might be looking for a White's, but can't afford much, so it might take awhile. Smiley  I'm watching Craigslist and listening for any advice that anyone offers.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg124325.html#msg124325

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 02:40:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

I love craigslist. That don't limit yourself to Whites; Tesoro, Fisher and Garrett are all good detectors.

Good luck,

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg124337.html#msg124337

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:24:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico!    Looking forward to your post.

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg124378.html#msg124378
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/space1.gif

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:39:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy, abx.   Welcome to the site. 

Sean is right.   While White's makes excellent machines (I've got a couple of them myself), they aren't the only game in town.   You definitely should look into Fishers (F4), Tesoros, and Garretts (say the Ace 250 or a used GTAx).  Do a search using the function at the top right of the page to search the entire forum for "best detector" to get ideas on the options open to you and how to decide which detector is right for you.  And besides Craigslist, you might want to check out a pawn shop or two.  But whether you get the detector from craigslist, the pawnshop, or a yard sale, make sure you give it at least a cursory test before you buy it---unless you're good at electronics and think you can repair one (scanning our tech board should help you decide whether you've got the skill set to try that---unless it's a reall basic problem like a loose battery connection, I know I don't....but homefire, heck that's what he likes doing  Smiley )

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg124537.html#msg124537

Offline lawnmowerman219
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab E-Trac,Whites XLT, Bounty Hunter 3300
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:31:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi from a fellow new guy on the forum! I started with a little research and little $$$ too! I agree Whites is a good machine and from personal experience they have (IMHO) good old fashion customer service! Where each customer is important and needed! My first machine was a BH 3300. BUT it also sold at Radio Junk on closeout $49.99 and was called a discovery 3300. Its still a good machine. I think the ACE 250 has the best reputation out there right now for an intro machine. Check any local dealers and watch the free news papers in your area! People are always cleanning out their closet and want to get rid of their unused junk? Or should I say your treasure! Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg127172.html#msg127172

Offline Riley
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:07:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi abx
I started off with a couple of cheaper detectors, then graduated to a Whites GMT, and now finally have my TDI. Also while I was deciding what detector to buy I would occasionally hire one. I couldn't think of a better activity.In this field people are always happy to help you. Good Luck.
Riley (from Gippsland, Victoria, Australia)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg127183.html#msg127183

Offline abxTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you all, for responding!  Well, I have spent weeks searching for best detector, etc., and it seemed at that time everyone was pointing towards the old White's with the analog.  I had answered a couple ads and found a White's 6000 pro sl for $200.  And I had already found a 6000 di series 3.  He's asking $150 for that.  My girlfriend is very excited about this.  She is 59, too.  So she asked me to buy one for her.  I was thinking if I got them both for $350, we'll both have similar machines and maybe can help each other figure them out.  And we figure if we can each save about $400 by spring, we are going to take a little trip.  I have a little farm that is built on an old homestead so I want to start out here.  I did see a garrett 250 and there is a White's Eagle Spectrum for sale for $200, but I might have a hard time seeing digital.  Someone told me that with the newer machines, you may have to buy a bigger coil.  That scared me because they are spendy. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg127321.html#msg127321

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:30:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

abx, the older white's you are talking about are good machines and I expect you would be very happy with them.  However, if the only thing keeping you away from a newer machine is that you might have a hard time seeing digital, there are two things to consider: 1) the numbers on most of the digital readouts are nice and large, so if you can read a digital alarm clock, you problem can read the display and 2) whether you go analog or digital, unless you are having trouble hearing, you are better off relying on sound rather than the display.

As for needing to buy a bigger coil, it may be just because most of the sites I hunt are kind of trashy, but my first purchase with a new machine has always been a smaller coil rather than a larger one.  (and when I have 3 coils--standard, larger, and smaller--I find myself using the smaller much more often than I use the larger).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg127348.html#msg127348

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Welcome from Texas

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg127352.html#msg127352

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline abxTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:53:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Oh, that's good to know.  I just need cheaters to see, but my hearing is great!  My girlfriend and I will probably be asking where a good place would be to go so we can get away to make our fortunes!  We are going to explore the area where I live, and she lives in my old home town, so we are going to explore some old homesteads there, too.  Two old ladies out detecting.....sounds kinda funny, but fun!  I didn't think I was going to find two detectors this soon, but my only bad feeling now is that I maybe should have chosen that White's Eagle Spectrum.  It was the same price as the 6000 di Pro.  I hate making a choice for someone else.  I'm sure the Spectrum would have been lighter.  I live up North, in Minnesota, and we are expecting a snowstorm, so I shouldn't have rushed with buying.  Maybe this was a better time to get a cheaper deal.  I'm gonna get my girlfriend to join this site, too.  I'm Susan.  She's Judy.  Saw where someone thinks he found an old shipwreck in Texas by using Google Earth! Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19036.msg127414.html#msg127414

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.