[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BarnumTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

V3, MXT
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:21:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

New to this forum, but have detected for over 30 years.  I am hoping to get enthused again, but so
far the temps here in Texas are in the 100's, and the ground is like a rock. Have been dealing with this for the past twenty years, and it has really dampened my enthusiasm.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98652.html#msg98652

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:41:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Barnum Welcome from Galveston.

I am not a big coin shooter but do hunt the beach and water were the digging is easier and usually hunt at night in the summer.
I am sorry don't remember were you are in Texas can you remind me please.
As for your dampened enthusiasm, take a look at the Today's Finds  board that will help get your blood flowing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98655.html#msg98655

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:55:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Barnum, Seldom beat me to it, but I'd be detecting near water in the Texas summer, too. Maybe around lakes, if the beach is far away. Welcome to thunting. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98660.html#msg98660

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy, Barnum.   Welcome to THunting.com.

Growing up in the San Antonio area and living in Arizona, I can sure identify with the heat challenges.   Here in Arizona, we either hunt in the early morning (6am to 9 or 10am) or in the late evening into early night.  Those new-fangled led lights that are either built into the ballcap visors or clamp on to them sure help when it starts to get dark.   As for hard ground, Lowes and a few other places carry a really neat little digger for under $14 that handles hard ground real well.   You'll find more about it (including pictures) and other diggers that might help by using the search box at the top of the page.  Put in "digger" or "digging tool" and search "entire forum".

Happy hunting,

BA in AZ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98680.html#msg98680

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:11:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Down here in Southern New Mexico, this is what I do.

Cotton hat wet.

Cotton short towel wet around the neck.

I hunt from sun up to 9 or 10.
I do Prospecting mostly and temps hit 110 or more out there.  I have measured 125 more then a few times.

Gotta drink water like is going out of style!

Did you know Ice Tea will stay frozen 20 percent longer then plain water?  Don't use sugar and just a taste of lemon.

Sugar will mess you up in that heat.

This keeps the cramps away, Prostate happy and provides enough vitemin C to give you the Pooops!

Keeps the Liver alive, Kidneys Flowing and just taste good.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98707.html#msg98707

Offline toleary34
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I hope that your spirits can be raised, and your enthusiam regained.  I spent all four years of my being in the Marines in the desert either in California or Iraq, and then went to Afghanistan for my fourth tour of duty with the Army, so I know what that heat will do to yah.  For me, I would find my inspiration in the strength of those who have come before you in the same area, the Spanish, the first settlers, the different armies that marched through there with practically nothing.  When I was in Iraq it was like the old wild west....everyone carrying a gun shooting at each other, shoot outs between locals in the streets, not having sufficient water or food resources, and living under the stars with only a fire or lantern for light and warmth.....it really gave me an appreciation for our own country and those who settled it.  And on my third tour in Iraq, I soaked it all in....i spent my time drying and tanning hides on the tops of the bombed out building we lived in, and welcomed the pioneer experience of having practically nothing.  And when I got back to the states, my interest in the history of the West was so great, that I spent my time as I do now....researching it and seeking it out.  Any way, my realizing that the settlers of my own country had gone through so much more while I was in Iraq really helped me to understand and appreciate it, and I actually miss being over there and having nothing....i miss walking the dangerous streets....i miss sleeping in the hot nights under the stars and fighting in the blazing sun...please keep in touch and take care

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98711.html#msg98711

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

We get the same here in Australia so we adapt by water detecting or by using the hours from dawn to early morning or late evening to hunt. I've been out with a flashlight clipped to my hat brim on those balmy after dark hours.

The concrete like ground, well, that's why God invented the pick-mattox, mate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15359.msg98790.html#msg98790

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.