[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline pnutbtrTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F5, Compass Magnum 420
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:47:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a Compass Magnum 420 that I purchased new in the early '80s. I have toyed around with it off and on over the years and have found a fair share of coins and lots of trash. I never got completely proficient with it as it was always a hobby that I didn't have other friends who shared in it. Now I just purchased a Fisher F5 and joined a local metal detector club (CSRA Metal Detecting) and am looking forward to making new friends and going on "hunting" field trips. I have read a lot of great comments about the F5 and think I made a great choice. I am however very disappointed in how the manual was written as well as the online video produced by Fisher on how to use it. The manual was not written from a layman's standpoint. In my opinion it is more geared towards those already familiar with metal detectors. I am far from an idiot, but I have had to read through the manual several times and then finally made my own cheat sheet on how to use it. But I still have some unanswered questions that I am sure I will get in time through this forum and through speaking with people who are more proficient at detecting. Looking forward to sharing some stories and reading some of yours. I did finally get it up and running and found my first penny in my back yard. Although it is only a 1983, it is only the start of what I am sure will be a very rewarding rekindled hobby in more ways than one. Happy Hunting, Skip

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19931.msg131344.html#msg131344

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:30:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, Skip......welcome to THunting.com.

I've got an F-4 as well as a couple of Garretts and a couple of Whites.   So far my F-4 has been doing pretty good for me.   The best suggestion I can make at this time is start out in discrimination mode with NOTHING notched out, and dig every signal.   Try to pay attention to the sound (and if you like hunting, the digital readout) for each target you dig (try noting it quickly in a pocket notebook).   After you've been out a couple of times, try making some small adjustment to one of the controls based on your best understanding of what you read in the manual and what you've seen in the field...and then hunt for a couple days only changing that particular setting (and again making notes).   This method may sound a bit tedious, but one thing is for sure, when you get done, you will know your machine.   (and the more comfortable you are with it, the more adjustments you can make at the same time....so the learning curve gets easier after the first few times out).

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19931.msg131371.html#msg131371

Offline pnutbtrTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F5, Compass Magnum 420
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you BA. Sounds like a plan.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19931.msg131377.html#msg131377

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:03:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the show, where all adventures are grand and all of the holes you dig will be full of GOLD.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19931.msg131428.html#msg131428

Offline cuirava
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

620.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:35:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Texas!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19931.msg131534.html#msg131534

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.