[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ian,DevTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:17:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My Son and I are wanting to try metal detecting as a hobby. I was wondering what would be the best detector to buy, as my first one.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253372.html#msg253372

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:00:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ian and Dev, welcome from Arizona.

Your question is a difficult one because in a lot of ways buying a metal detector is like buying a car or a camera.  It depends upon what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, and to a big extent the way it feels because you'll hopefully spend a lot of time swinging it.
       I suggest you use the search function at the top right corner to search for "Best Detector" that will lead you to a lot of prior discussion about what to consider when looking for a detector.
       That being said, assuming that you want a good, reasonably inexpensive metal detector to use primarily for coin-shooting and or hunting for relics on dry land, I'd suggest you consider the following (in no particular order):
       Tesoro Compadre (probably the simplest decent detector you can get---ONE control)
       Tesoro Silver Sabre microMax (uMax)
       White's Coinmaster series
       Garrett Ace 250 or Ace 350
       Fisher F4 or Teknetics Delta 4000  (I grouped these two together because they are made by the same company, as is the Bounty Hunter line)
  (And seriously, feel should be a big factor in choosing the detector).

If you want to venture out into the water, the Garrett AT-Pro costs about double what the detectors I listed above costs, but will let you slip and fall without having to worry about the electronics (as long as you don't get deeper than 10 ft).   It's about the least expensive of your reliable choices for getting wet---unless you buy used.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253385.html#msg253385

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:16:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from NM.    Yep!   What He Said. Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253394.html#msg253394

Offline meatball69
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV Up grading soon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:17:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the forum from Connecticut! Detecting Lots of info on metal detecting. Enjoy and HH! Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253400.html#msg253400

2013 FINDS Dragon figure 3quarters/5dimes/3nickles/43pennys/still looking for silver and gold

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cool Thanks for the input!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253402.html#msg253402

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Oregon!   Welcome                  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253464.html#msg253464

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:25:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been looking online, and I have found a package deal of The Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, and the BH junior. 2 machines in the package, for about $200 plus shipping. Seems like a good deal, Anyone heard of these machines? Are they reliable?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253586.html#msg253586

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:24:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from NT Australia , goodluck detecting . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253599.html#msg253599

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ian,Dev
I have been looking online, and I have found a package deal of The Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, and the BH junior. 2 machines in the package, for about $200 plus shipping. Seems like a good deal, Anyone heard of these machines? Are they reliable?

Hi Ian,

Just straight talk here (as I see it---there are people who will disagree with me)....Bounty Hunter is made by the same folks as make the Fisher and the Teknetics detectors, both of which are on the list of detectors to consider.   That speaks very well for Bounty Hunter.   However, limiting the discussion strictly to Bounty Hunter and ignoring for the moment the Fisher and the Teknetics lines, Bounty Hunter has/had a checkered past.   There was a time in the late 70's and early 80's when BH had a really good reputation (in fact a lot of us used to dream of their Red Baron model  Smiley ).   Then the company went through a phase where they basically expanded faster than they probably should have and were producing detectors for a whole lot of other companies to slap their name on.  Quality control suffered and for a lot of people, buying a Bounty Hunter was a bit like buying a Chinese knock-off---you never knew for sure whether you were going to get a good machine or one with a whole lot of problems and the odds weren't particularly in your favor.  Ok, move into the future.   First Texas, which owned Bounty Hunter and Teknetics, bought Fisher in 2006.   Most honest long time hobbyist pretty much expected the Fisher line to go down the drain with the change in ownership.   But surprise, surprise.   Fisher actually brings out some new detectors that actually raised the bar on what they had produced before.   And then First Texas apparently started applying some of the lessons to the Teknetics line, introducing the "Greek" series of detectors and proving that it was committed to quality.....but questions still seemed to remain with the Bounty Hunters.   There still seemed to be too many "private label" versions and too many quality control issues to overcome misgivings.   So a lot of us have adopted a wait and see attitude.  And from what I have seen over the last 2 or 3 years, it looks as though First Texas is serious about quality control in the BH lines also.   There aren't nearly as many "private label" versions of their machines out there.  And each year, we're hearing and reading more and more good reviews from people who are using them (especially the Land Star series) and we are hearing of fewer quality control problems.
    Bottom line, if the detectors were manufactured the second half of 2011 or later, the Quicksilver should be a good machine.   I just don't know enough about the junior to be sure about it.   In fact, if I could find a good used Tesoro Compadre that would probably be my choice.  
    One thing you have not said, though....how old is your son?   That might change the recommendation some.   ( I find it hard to imagine someone too young for a compadre although they may be too old for a BH Junior).

BA

Posted on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:59 PM
Also I found that package on line for $150 + shipping at a couple of places.   So even if you decide to go with it, shop around some (and be sure to factor in the value/costs of any extras you might get in the package)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253602.html#msg253602

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My Son is 8, but he's tall for his age. Yeah the package I was looking at was about that price, but then add 13% tax.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46364.msg253605.html#msg253605

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.