[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline jeffcarnTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 07:47:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

BitburgAggie_737

I appreciate your response. I still hung up as to do you really need the fancy screens or displays? I see that some of the detectors just use knobs but also notice that these machines work much better. I also have learned that my location has a bearing as to the type of detector for me to use here. I have narrow down my picks of either the Garrett Ace 250 or the Tesoro Golden uMax. I know that I have gone from a low price to a higher price. Also it it better to listen to what you are scannning with headphones?  I am going to see what other responses I get this week-end then make up my mind.

Thanks
Jeff 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg89283.html#msg89283

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:24:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

The detector I use has a display, but I rarely use it.   Some people rely on the display--others on the sound.  The nice thing about the displays are that if you use them correctly they can make pinpointing the target easier and they can give you a pretty good idea of the depth.   Offsetting that, if you don't have a display, you are more likely to be using your eyes to scan the area around you for opportunities, non-metallic surface finds, and dangers such as snakes (no-legged and two-legged) and hazards such as holes in the ground.  Your vision will be focused on the ground and your surroundings rather than the display that is half way between you and the ground.

Personally, I prefer using headphones.....but I also prefer using light weight headphones rather than the traditional bulky models (although I keep a pair of those handy just in case something happens to my good pair of lightweights).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg89311.html#msg89311

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:30:13 am by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 07:35:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
The detector I use has a display, but I rarely use it.   Some people rely on the display--others on the sound.  The nice thing about the displays are that if you use them correctly they can make pinpointing the target easier and they can give you a pretty good idea of the depth.   Offsetting that, if you don't have a display, you are more likely to be using your eyes to scan the area around you for opportunities, non-metallic surface finds, and dangers such as snakes (no-legged and two-legged) and hazards such as holes in the ground.  Your vision will be focused on the ground and your surroundings rather than the display that is half way between you and the ground.

Personally, I prefer using headphones.....but I also prefer using light weight headphones rather than the traditional bulky models (although I keep a pair of those handy just in case something happens to my good pair of lightweights).

I see that some of the detectors come with headphones but could you recommend a descent pair. Since most detectors have a fixed volume would it help to have headphones with volume controls?
I can see that it is really a problem to pick a detector when there are so many to choose from especially when you are trying to start!

Jeff

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg89472.html#msg89472

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 08:08:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Jeff, I like BA don't use the screen and rely on sound and tone so earphones are a must. I use 5 dollar Koss HP, 90% of the time that's all you need. I do have a set of Gray Ghost HP that I will use if there is a lot of wind or other back ground noise but prefer the light weight cheap ones.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg89475.html#msg89475

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My favorite pair of headphones is a set that came with my wife's portable dvd player.  They are light, comfortable, and they fold up into a small compact package for travel.  The only drawback is I have to use a plug adaptor.  But those are easy to get a Radio Shack.   Nice thing about the lightweight stereo/mp3 headphones is that a lot of them do come with inline volume control.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg89559.html#msg89559

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:00:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well I finally made the plug into the metal detecting world! I purchased an Aace 250 from KellyCo. It should be here by the weekend. Now comes the fun to see what I can find. I have looked at all of the web sites and read all of the things that people have put out about these. Wish me luck!

Jeff

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg90133.html#msg90133

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cool Jeff so your next post will have pictures of gold rings and silver coins, I hope.

Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg90142.html#msg90142

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 07:17:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well my new detector arrived yesterday! Now come the fun to learn all of the whistles and bells. I will be watching the DVD that came with it plus going over all of the paper work. It is going to be windy around here today and cool so I might give it a try today. Maybe I find $100.00 in coins!
Jeff

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg91030.html#msg91030

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 01:31:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congratulations on the arrival of your Ace 250.   Because it is such a popular machine, you will find lots of Ace 250 specific tips on these boards (although a lot of the tips work with other machines also--I try them on my garretts).   One of the most common tips you'll find is to run the coil cable straight up the lower shaft and only wrap it around the upper shaft.   That will help reduce "false" signals.

Happy hunting,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg91090.html#msg91090

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 07:05:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Congratulations on the arrival of your Ace 250.   Because it is such a popular machine, you will find lots of Ace 250 specific tips on these boards (although a lot of the tips work with other machines also--I try them on my garretts).   One of the most common tips you'll find is to run the coil cable straight up the lower shaft and only wrap it around the upper shaft.   That will help reduce "false" signals.

Thank you for the tip on the coil cable. I tried the unit the other day in the front yard just to learn what to do. I then made the change on the cable and notice the difference. Going to try and get out this week at a park near by so we will see if I can find a least $5.00 in change!!

Jeff
Well the weather got better so I could get out and try this thing. First time I did not understand all the whistles and bells. I went back and started reading the book and watching the viedo. I learn a little bit more. I went back out again and I hit pay dirt. I found a total of $.82! Yes I found the junk and learned how to block out that stuff. Now I think I can find the good stuff!!

Jeff  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13941.msg92881.html#msg92881

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.