[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldWolfenTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 34.0
Firefox 34.0

Awards

Gold Traxx by Discovery
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 01:43:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Dusty, thanks, no, I don't have a dial gauge and don't know how to use one, I just buy parts and stick them on or in where they go, and they always ran good, this is the first time I had any problems like this.

GoldWolfen

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292479.html#msg292479

Sometimes I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist.

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 02:19:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldWolfen
    Thanks RR, rust might explain loss of compression in 7, and low compression in 8, but all the marks are the same on the pistons and intake valves, so the cam is definitely out of time or the wrong one, and I timed the cam properly, even tho it's at 8* advance. I got the cam last May, so it's in good condition, just not the right one in my view.

GoldWolfen

G'day Mate,  Listen, a lot of Cams already come with the Dowels pre Set although they can be set +/-  etc 1 tooth on the cam cog can equal about 6deg +/- so by advancing it you might of ended up with degs, ( just Guessing Here coz I cant see it ),

Have you crack tested the Heads and the Pistons?? It's easy to do and Cheap, you can do it your self

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292480.html#msg292480

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 34.0
Firefox 34.0

Awards

Gold Traxx by Discovery
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

RR, thx, the cam has 4* advance as manufactured, and I used a 4* advance timing set, and set the 'dots' on the gears as specified, so it was just the 8* advance, should have run really well.

GW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292481.html#msg292481

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

RR, thx, the cam has 4* advance as manufactured, and I used a 4* advance timing set, and set the 'dots' on the gears as specified, so it was just the 8* advance, should have run really well.

GW

Yeah I hear Ya Mate, See that's when you need A Degree Wheel and A Dial Gauge, I never Trust those Extra Dowels .020 out and your stuffed, Big Time. And I bet that Puppy would have Purred like a Kitten if it was set to Zero Too,

When you have the Heads Off sit the Dial Gauge on the Surface where the Heads go and bring Number one to TBC and then check it with the Dial Gauge, Take No Notice of the Numbers on the Harmonic Balancer because the Have A Rubber Damping Bush between the Outer area and the Bit that Bolts On to the Crank and over the  Years them Critters can Slip Round On each other, So when you go to do the Timing they wont run right on the correct Timing Marks.

Grab A Cheap Dial Gauge and the Magnetic base and when you get the right Cam Sorted Slap the Gauge on it and bring Number one up to TDC with the gauge and take a look at the Timing marks on the Pulley/Balancer and see if they are in the right place and then stick the Cam In, But set it to the Standard Dowel?Marks this Time. Ok,

RR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292483.html#msg292483

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 34.0
Firefox 34.0

Awards

Gold Traxx by Discovery
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 03:45:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks RR, as we all know, engines are designed to waste something like 70% of the fuel we buy, hence that catalytic converter that clogs up and has to be replaced when we don't have the money for it LOL Anyway, a lot of street guys advance 10* or more, and with engines set at 6* to 10* retarded, I think 8* advance is a good idea, but I'll make sure it's the right cam, and I'll make sure everything else is right too. I checked my harmonic thingumy against the #1 piston TDC, and it's right on the mark, so I can trust that with the new build, and I'll check all the valves too, maybe polish the exhaust ports a bit, and put on some decent headers and dual exhaust and some quiet mufflers, I like to sneak up on stuff, so I run as quiet as I can.

GW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292484.html#msg292484

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 04:03:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

With them Smog boxes to your Exhaust you need to take em for A Speed Run for about A week and then the Car will start going fast again I use to do that about once every 2 or 3 months, and It would gain about 15 to 20 mph Or Cheat and run a tank full of Hi Octane Unleaded through it If it uses unleaded If it runs on Normal Leaded Gas, the Stick a gallon of Paint thinners in it with some Mobil Tolulene/Toluwol Or MEK,, It Burns hotter and Burns  the C**P out of the system Run you Tank Low before you put it in it, Leave it running and Smell the Exhaust once you put it in, If it makes you eyes water then you got the Mix right,  and there you Have Poor Mans Nitrous, It does make EM shift,lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292486.html#msg292486

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:04:51 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 40.0.2214.115
Chrome 40.0.2214.115

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 05:54:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks RR, as we all know, engines are designed to waste something like 70% of the fuel we buy, hence that catalytic converter that clogs up and has to be replaced when we don't have the money for it LOL Anyway, a lot of street guys advance 10* or more, and with engines set at 6* to 10* retarded, I think 8* advance is a good idea, but I'll make sure it's the right cam, and I'll make sure everything else is right too. I checked my harmonic thingumy against the #1 piston TDC, and it's right on the mark, so I can trust that with the new build, and I'll check all the valves too, maybe polish the exhaust ports a bit, and put on some decent headers and dual exhaust and some quiet mufflers, I like to sneak up on stuff, so I run as quiet as I can.

GW

I never get a chance to replace a clogged up catalytic converter.....someone always manages to swipe the ones off my Tundra before they get a chance to get clogged.  Fortunately for me, they're covered by insurance.  Otherwise I would have had to switch to some other mode of transport a long time ago.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59607.msg292493.html#msg292493

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.