[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LostChapterBooksTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« on: November 06, 2010, 04:03:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Currently in Indiana and moving to Brisbane Australia in May of the upcoming year.  Would love to hear all Metal Detecting experiences over there. Am especially interested in Relic hunting and Cache Hunting. Love researching as much as the actual hunt.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124550.html#msg124550

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Books,  welcome to THunting.com. 

I split your message off of the previous topic for two reasons.....1) it gives our other members a better chance of giving each new member the greeting they deserve
and
2)  you're more likely to get your questions answered if they aren't buried in another topic.

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124641.html#msg124641

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:50:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Washington state. Hope you enjoy Oz... I know I would.

Cheers

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124675.html#msg124675

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:54:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from the Perth side of Oz.

Metal relics here won't be too old, I'm afraid. The locals didn't use metal until after the Europeans got here. The best you can hope for is around 150 to 200 years old at the most.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124704.html#msg124704

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline 926wolf
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret GTI2500 Pro /Bounty hunter 505
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:22:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

hey books, I am in Brisbane if you want to have a chat email mail daslcox at bigpond.com.au

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124714.html#msg124714

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:50:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks  Gold Digger. 

I understand that prior to the Europeans metal wasn't in Aus, but 150 to 200 years is fine with me.  I am of course interested in the Bushrangers history as well as the convicts way of life after they began owning thier own farms and stations.

I deal in old books here in the US and will continue to do so in Australia with my eye open to Aus history, maps, etc...  Even now I am looking for stories that can help point the way.

The initial wild ride will be finding out what a cache was in the 1850's. Coins were not prevelent as I understand, therefore what did they horde and why.  With the bush so close and the settlements so small, why would they hide things and where. Let's not forget also that caches are still being hidden today to be found.  I will hide one myself, just before I leave here for someone else to find.

Here in the US, if you find an outhouse, you are close to the mark for a starting place to hunt, but what of over there?

Cheesy  ohhh the questions an American must ask, just to show his own lack of learning.  I will first have to find a club that has LOTS of active members who will help.

Posted on: November 07, 2010, 05:37:31 AM
Thanks 926wolf

I will contact you and maybe we can talk a little about getting settled over there (afraid to say the move scares me a little). Tell me do you swing your metal detector from left to right instead of right to left to compensate for being Down Under (driving joke of course as I am not sure how many Aussie trees I will kill trying to learn to drive on the left).

Building up my metal detecting gear this month (asking wife for lots of Christmas presents including a Whites V3i and all new digging tools). Any recommendations of what I MUST get before I leave?

I plan on starting with beach hunting (did a lot of that in Florida and wife loves to lay on the beach) until I learn a little of the soil and can begin researching how to get permission on land to hunt.  Any recommended reading I should do? Metal detecting books specific to Australia?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124718.html#msg124718

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline 926wolf
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret GTI2500 Pro /Bounty hunter 505
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 06:02:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Books , not a lot on aussie detecting books . have a look at Treasure enterprises he has a bit of info there. I detect anywhere parks and beaches. also some ww2 army camps are very close to brisbane.I have a Garret GTI 2500 and a bounty hunter 505pro. both are great machines do remember our coins are not the same as us coins so you have to set up a custom menu for them,otherwise you will be digging heaps of ring pulls and twist tops. can chat via email if you want just remember the kangaroos are very dangerous and the koalas have a habbit of leaping out of trees and attacking people Cheesy just kidding just remember our snakes bit to kill and we have some nasty spiders that like to bit also apart from that it is a nice place Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124719.html#msg124719

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

A story for you. When I married my wife (an Aussie through and through), my mother said Please Michael I don't know what Aussies eat.  I HAD to tell her, No worries Mum, she eats Kangaroo, Koalas and Crocodile meat, just like all Aussies do.  My mum (80 plus years old), was mortified!!!   :Smiley  My wife had to set her straight the first time she met her.

Yes I read Bill Bryson and I do understand that all animals in Australia will kill you if they can. I will avoid wild dingos if I have any children with me and I will shake my shoes out every thirty minutes in case a redback spider got into them.

I've been over there twice now and am still alive (though mum-in-law has threatened to be the one to kill me if I don't get her daughter home soon).

Will email you later and tell you all kinds of storiesd about Aussies in America and how they make American men they marry promise to take them back home (by the way, I love my wife dearly)....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124724.html#msg124724

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:33:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.   {alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124733.html#msg124733
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/little_orange_guy_e0.gif

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello LostChapterBooks and welcome from France.

Good luck in Australia

All the best

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19072.msg124861.html#msg124861

Lucky Luc

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.