[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline rborgTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret ace 250
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi I am new to metal detecting I am currently using an ace 250 that I picked up at a local pawn shop for 50 bucks couldn't pass it up.I am doing ok Learning the tones my question is about after I dig the target is there a good way too find it I don't have a handheld pinpointer yet. Should I just take handfulls of dirt and run under my coil until I find it? Any input would help and also some direction on an inexpensive pinpointer.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214788.html#msg214788

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, rborg.   Welcome to THunting.com.   I moved your post from "Beginners" to "New Users Introduction" since it is your first post.   That will give more members an opportunity to say "Howdy" and to impart their words of wisdom.   

To answer your question, a lot depends upon where you are digging and how big a hole you are digging.   If you're in a lawn or some other nice grassy area, you don't want to dig a big hole.   You need to learn how to use the detector as a pinpointer by running it north-south over the target area and then east-west over the area.    Where the strongest signals intersect is your target......and yes, it does take a while to master.   Using a blunt screw driver or a long wooden or plastic knitting needle as a probe will also help you determine the exact location of the target. 

Now let's assume that you have dug a hole.  First run your coil over the hole to see if the target is still there.  If it is not, then run you coil over the pile of dirt you have set aside to put back in the hole.   If it beeps, you can start going through the pile  in the manner you are talking about---just make sure the hand you are using doesn't have a ring, watch , bracelet, etc attached to it or you'll get a signal with every hand full.  Smiley.   

IF you are at the beach or hunting in a place where you can make larger holes, definitely use the method you are talking about (although it doesn't matter whether you run it over or under the coil....the signal will be the same either way).    But regardless of where you dig, please make sure you do as little damage to vegetation as possible and that you fill in the hole as completely and carefully as possible when you are don.   Ideally no one should be able to tell you were there beyond a couple of footprints.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214796.html#msg214796

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello &  Welcome to the forum form Ks.  Shake Hand Check Harbor Freight for a inexpensive pin pointer. The cen-tech. They work for well I think for the money.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214797.html#msg214797

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:45:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by cache
Check Harbor Freight for a inexpensive pin pointer. The cen-tech. They work for well I think for the money.

Cache is right about that.....without coupons, you generally pick a Centech up from Harbor Freight for about $16.00 + tax.    With coupons, you can often get it down closer to $10.   And they work every bit as good as some of the more expensive ones like the Whites and are more durable than some of the other more expensive brands.  I won't say they are in the same league as a garrett or a vibraprobe but at $16 you can burn through a few of them before you start feeling the pain that losing or breaking one of the more expensive models cost.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214798.html#msg214798

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:35:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

welcome from Kansas! with the ace 250, spend a couple minutes over your target not only pinpointing but watching the display. as the signal gets more repeatable watch the depth meter. by doing this you will have reduced your dig to a small circle or arc 5-6" diameter and know how deep to expect your find. carry a towel or piece of naugahyde to lay the plug and dirt on. It makes the search easier and you leave the area as clean as when you approached it. happy hunting, Poptop!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214821.html#msg214821

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:53:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.     Yep!   What they said. LOL

Remember that Pin Pointing with a DD coil like the one you have is done from Side to Side.

The Hot spot of your Coil is down the Center line of the Coil from Heal to Toe.

By the way.    $50.00 on that machine was a KILLER Price.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214845.html#msg214845

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret ace 250
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:13:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all of your input nice to have experienced people willing too share their knowledge. Thanks for the info on the hf pinpointer when I get uP too salt lake I will pick One up. I live in a small mining community in price UT lots of old mining camps and railroad history in this town should be fun as long as we dont have a long wall move this summer to screw it all up. I also wonderd if a sniper coil for my ace 250 is a good investment there is one on eBay right now I think I can probably get the coil and lower shaft for under 50 let me know what you guys think.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214862.html#msg214862

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:07:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The super sniper will be well worth it if you can get in that price range. your 250 is not the 'ideal' machine for gold, but it will do the job. Keep reading about prospecting and gold sniping and you may get the "itch" to upgrade. When you do, keep in mind that Ace is worth about two to three times what you paid for it. (If you can bear to let go of it.)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214881.html#msg214881

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret ace 250
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your input on the sniper coil I'll try and get it. Also another question I had is in regards to wrapping of your coil wire. Currently I have it running straight up the shaft from the coil about 6" affixed with Velcro cable straps and coiled up to the receptacle and velcroed there also is that correct. Is there a right and wrong way or is it just personal preference?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214910.html#msg214910

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For a Garrett product, I'd definitely run it straight up the lower shaft, securing with velcro, and then wrap it around the upper shaft tightly enough that it doesn't shift around a lot.   The important thing is you don't want your coil wire generating false signals.   

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg214911.html#msg214911

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.