[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline phillee024Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:18:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings All,

My Name is Phillip and I am a newb to the site but not new to detecting. I used to be very active seeker of lost things when I was younger and had funds I could waste on my countless hobbies but that was 20 years and 3 kids ago. I am a military and college educated electronic engineering technician(Basically an over-educated electronics technician) that is no longer able to work in my field due to a back injury that I received while serving my country that has now come back to make life very miserable. I don't want to completely throw away what I have spent my whole life working on learning so I figured that I would try out this site and see if any of the kind folks on here could help me find plans so that I can build my own detector instead of shelling out money that I don't have to line someone else's pockets to buy on off the shelf detector that may or may not do what I want it to do.

I am a living historian as well as a hunter of relics from our countries turbulent past to share with the many school children that I try to teach. What I am looking for in a detector is something that will give me the ability to distinguish between the heavily mineralized soil in these great southern states and the lead of musket balls, brass buttons, steal hardware and gold and silver that might be in the ground as well. I need something that can go deep into the ground and can be used in streams as well. I can design a housing that will be water resistant and possibly water proof because I would like to search the shallow waters off of the coast of Florida for some of that Spanish gold that occasionally washes up on the beaches after bad storms next time I go see the in-laws.
Unfortunately I am not an electronics designer and I kick myself in the ass for not learning how to design the more complex circuits that are used in the high tech world but what I can do is work wonders with PIC, designing PCB's for threw hole or SMT circuits, build incredible inductors & coils, properly & thoroughly test circuit virtually and physically. I also have the skills necessary to manufacture beautiful resin or plastic covered search coils for the detector once I get a good design to work with. I've made search coils for friends in the past and built a few basic detectors for friends in the past but I've never taken the time to build what I want and right now I just don't have $3k to $5k to drop on a brand new metal detector. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Respectively
Phillip C.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg106815.html#msg106815

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:22:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey welcome from TEXAS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg106825.html#msg106825

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:00:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Utah!
HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg106831.html#msg106831

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from one of the non-technical people in Arizona.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg106920.html#msg106920

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico!   Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg106927.html#msg106927

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:38:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard from Australia and from a retired military guy. Sorry to hear about your disability, mate, but let me tell you that old age comes with another heap of them. Get ready!

Now that you have full member status, you can look at the downloads section to see what we have here. Also, the Geotech forums have a lot of good projects for you to look at. Just remember one key point. Until you actually build one of these guys and test it, don't assume it is a fully working and tested design. Lots of people have come along making tiny changes they think will "improve" a design and have wrecked it in the process. The longest threads on these forums are the technical ones where problems are discussed. Just bear that in mind.

A couple of things to mention now. If Eugene52 says it's a working design, it is. If the design you select is too technical, pick something simpler. In fact, start with the basics of a very small circuit and look here for some resources. As an example, there are a few programs out there that cost nothing and turn your sound card into a low frequency oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer. Use an isolating probe if you decide to try them. Use the search function at the top right hand corner of the page to find them. I have posted some of them here and could give you the topic to read but learning the forum is going to help you much more in the long run.

Best of luck, mate! And again, welcome.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg107026.html#msg107026

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline r_moare
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello from Kentucky.  I'm a newb here too, but this seems to be a great site! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16667.msg107090.html#msg107090

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.