[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline oldcoonTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all.   Some of you may know me from other places, and some maybe not.   I am a retired government hack and I have been in detecting for many years.   In fact more years than many reading this are old.   I started back in the 1960s using an old modified Army mine detector but quickly graduated to a Metrotech, a BFO machine that looked like a tin can on a stick but was the Cadillac of relic detectors in its day.

I was part of a gang of 4 that used to make regular run to Harpers Ferry, W Va where we had permission to hunt a lot of property surrounding that historic community.  There was a lot of Civil War activity there, maybe not so much fighting as some places but the hills around the place were once campsites and drill grounds of thousands of troops.   We were among the first to hit that area and we carted stuff out of there left and right.  In later years, after growing families and responsibilities limited and finally ended our hunting we donated virtually everything to a small museum where the stuff resides to this day.

I later acquired several other detectors that I used but in many ways the old Metrotech was still the best.  I had bought a new Whites Coinmaster 6000D Series 2, a Fisher 1260X and a Garrett's American S3.   All were fairly good machines and had their moments.   I used to hunt a lot of old high school athletic fields on Sunday mornings with the Garrett.   While maybe not a top of the line machine, she was a coin magnet.   I found a lot of silver along the grandstand and refreshment stand sites on Sunday mornings.   The best time to hunt public places is Sunday mornings when nobody is around.   Sadly I have none of those machines anymore.  While my sons were teens they appropriated the White and Fisher.   I was sort of saving the Garrett but the grandchildren got hold of it and that was that.   All I have is an ancient tin can on a stick that probably doesn't work anymore.   However I am seriously considering getting a new machine.

At any rate I live in Middletown, Pa near the site of Three Mile Island.  Come and glow with us.   I will try to share my experiences and wisdom with you from time to time.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8884.msg55784.html#msg55784

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:13:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome, yeah I've owned a Whites 6000 D series 2 and it was a decent machine-but I like the 6000 DI Pro better--it is more comfy to use. And I've got a hunting partner who owned the 1260-x Fisher and it was a good little machine--I have friends who have found plenty with a 1265-x   and I've done well with the 1266-x a few times. That handle design for the 1260-x -1266-x were so comfy to use.  And they would shoot deep too--especially the 1265-x and 1266-x . I'll tell you a little machine that don't cost that much but has really nice depth for the money-the 1225-x Fisher......It is simple -just two control knobs, but it will surprise you what that little booger can do-ha! Only reason I traded my 1225-x back to where I bought it was that it ain't exactly all that great in trashy ground-it'll pick up those pesky nails a lot-but if you don't mind the nail finds, it'll get to the relics and such--I traded mine back for a Tesoro unit because the Tesoro just simply works better in trashy situations where all kinds of nails and wire bits are in the ground----Other than that, I liked the 1225 and you can get one for less than 250 bucks brand new at some dealers--I am considering getting another one or a good used 1266-x for the depth----I just wish the 1225-x had a little better discrimination capabilities...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8884.msg55802.html#msg55802

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:37:27 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:29:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi oldcoon, Enjoyed reading your introduction. I'm sure it was loads of fun to detect the Harpers Ferry region back then. Neat that you donated finds to the museum for the benefit of the community. Welcome aboard and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8884.msg55885.html#msg55885

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:19:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aborard and thank you very much for this excellent introduction! It was fun to read! I hope you will beomce a regular at our forum and share many more stories with us!

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8884.msg56007.html#msg56007

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:36:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the forum.  Very good introduction.  I'm sure you've made many very nice finds over the years and espically while hunting the Harpers ferry area.  I look forward to seeing your posts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8884.msg56011.html#msg56011

Stringfrenzy

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.