[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline PubliusEnigmaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Switzerland
Referrals: 0

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:03:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello!

I'm a Swiss author, right now searching for information about the myths behind Cocos Island. Please excuse my poor English. My normal language is German. I'm able to understand English, but I know, that my writing is not so good. I hope you understand it. Anyway. Right now I'm planing a homepage with books. One of the topics are the myths about Cocos Island. I've saw many information about that but the stories about it are very different. I try to find as many different versions as possible and collect them on the page. This is the reason why I'm here and I joined community.

PubliusEnigma

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg75495.html#msg75495

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome PubliusEnigma and welcome to THunting.com.

Don't worry about your English.  It is much better than my German, which I can read pretty well, but speak very poorly.  Have you used the search function on this page to search for Cocos Island?   We may already have some references to it posted.  If not, I'm sure someone will be along soon with references.

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg75504.html#msg75504

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi PubliusEnigma Welcome from Galveston Texas.
Sorry I can not help with the Coco Island.
Christian has a German forum that may be of help in your research I will try and find the link for you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg75507.html#msg75507

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Switzerland

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:31:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi there BitburgAggie,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, i saw the entries about Cococ Island on this forum. And i was suprised. The author on this forum has written some points that in no German source was findable. That is interesting for me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg75515.html#msg75515

Offline Tinkerer
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Venezuela

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Enigma,

did you read the book "LA DERNIERE ILE AU TRESOR" by Robert Vergnes?
This author collected a vast amount of information and then made an expedition to Cocos Island, together with another expedition member. In an unfortunate accident the other guy died, but Robert Vergnes was rescued and later wrote the book. 

For me the Cocos Island treasure legend is one of the top stories, together with the ELDORADO legends.

Tinkerer

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg75785.html#msg75785

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Switzerland

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Trinkerer

No. I didn't read that book yet. But I know the story about this expedition. This death was maybe an accedent. Sources I know say that it wasn't an accident. Anyway. The story of this expedition is not very famous in the German literture about Cocos Island. I just found it in a book that i found by accident - a book that doesn't exist anymore. Thankou very much for telling me the name of the book of Vergnes. Another book i need to compleed my research.

For me the legends and myths around the treasurehunters of Cocos is the most interesting part of the whole story about Cocos Island.

P. Enigma

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg76059.html#msg76059

Offline Tinkerer
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Venezuela

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 07:16:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

About 40 years ago, I met an Australian or Kiwi, who was on it's way to Cocos Island. He had some "inside information" about the treasure there, from an old man that told the story on his dead bed.

The man was so sure of the truth of the story, that he spent 6 years studying electronics until he was capable to build a metal detector that was to help him locate the treasure.

Now he was on his way to Cocos Island with a sailing boat, I think the name was "Savanna" or something of the kind. He had a crew whom he trusted, after having sailed halve around the world with them.

This was the second expedition, the first failed when he overheard the crew talking about murdering him once they found the treasure.

Anyway, they were in need of some Nautical charts. I lend them a batch of charts, they were going to send them back once they did not need them anymore.

However, they run on some shallows off the coast and lost the boat, together with the charts, documents and specially built metal detectors.

I wonder if he gave up on the treasure or if he made another expedition?

The research into a treasure legend is a fascinating occupation. Never before we had the possibility to find others interested in the story, like now.
Never before there was so much information available, like now on the Internet.

It turns out that with all the information available and all the technology available and all the ease in travelling and communicating, the percentage of people really interested in searching for information and making a real effort in finding the treasure, is very small.

It even seems that there are no more pioneers and adventurers any more.

Tinkerer   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg76211.html#msg76211

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Switzerland

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:03:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tinkerer

Thanks again for your informations. Never heard of an expedition of a guy that name was like "Savanna". But there had been so many expeditions. And the most known expeditions are these ones when famous people had been involved. Yes, we are living an an amazing time. On one hand we have a lot of information - and information trash as well. On the other hand we live in a time in that people who want to live for there dreams - and nothing else is a live of an adventure - is not modern. Well. I hope, and i know, that there are still some adventures arround.

Kindly

P.Enigma

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11730.msg76243.html#msg76243

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.