[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline superdutyTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

535.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:54:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

About a week ago I was invited to a event called "Liberty Fest". Its was held at this church that was built up on a high ridge that was surrounded by a flat plain. The event featured live music which was set up on a huge outdoor stage at the base of the ridge. All the activities where happening between the church at the top of the hill and the stage at the bottom of the hill. Earlier that day it had rained and the ground was soaking wet. That evening they had a huge fireworks display planned for just after dark and hundreds of people where showing up to watch. The sky was still cloudy but it looked like the storms where going around us to the south. Just before dark I noticed the air was hot and heavy. I looked across the crowd and I noticed something funny. Several women and young boys with long hair had something strange going on with their hair. Several strands of their hairs where sticking straight up like they had their hands on a Tesla Coil. Instantly I became overwhelmed with fear!! My wife and five children where about 75 feet away from where I was standing. I rushed over to them and told them "LETS GO TO THE VAN!!!". The folks we where there with wanted to know what was going on and I told them there was about to be a lightning strike somewhere near where we where at. They started asking me how I knew and I told them we had to go and that they should go also. Well they looked at me like I was some kind of a nut, but I was not going to chance our safety. We went to the van and watched several people walk by and their hair was standing on end. There was a police command trailer near where we parked and I went and asked to talk to a police officer. When I told him what I seen he just laughed at me and said the storms where 4-5 miles away from us moving away. :Smiley Luckily lightning never did strike. Afterwards I showed the folks we where with a link about signs to watch for when lightning is about to strike. The lady said when she went to talk to one of her friends she touched her friend on the arm and shocked her like if she had been walking on a rug.This should have not happened standing outside in wet grass on a hot humid day. I just wanted to pass this tip on so others could be aware of whats going on around them. Metal Detecting out in the open could leadto a situation similar to the one I was in.
                                Good Luck, happy hunting, and God Bless..
                                                    Superduty

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8045.msg50391.html#msg50391

Offline deuceman
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:00:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I went on a scuba dive in south texas several years ago and the same thing happened to me. We had been out of the water for a few minutes and dried out hair and it started to stand up. A storm was coming and I headed for the truck. I've read that the static electricity is a precursor to a lightning strike and I believe it. There was no strike in our viciniy, but it was scary.  You did the right thing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8045.msg52796.html#msg52796

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here you go. Absolute safety from lightening strikes. Darwin would be proud!

Please Register or Login

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8045.msg52871.html#msg52871

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline upsmanpa
Silver Member

Life's A Garden Dig It!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:53:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Stay safe out there, no coin/ring/relic is worth getting struck by a lightning bolt!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8045.msg80449.html#msg80449

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: